External memory and disk drive advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by SODA, Jul 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an Advent notepad which is fine for about 95% of the things I want it for but now the memory is full also finding I miss having a disk drive.

I want to be able to store some DVDs plus the normal pics and documents am a bit crap when it comes to computers so I would be very gratefull for any advice.

An advantage would be if I could get both items form the same supplier.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. There are a couple of choices dependant on your skill level.

First you can simply buy one of these at PC World; 2.5inch portable drive

Great device ready to go and decent price too.

If you have a spare 2.5inch drive at home then buy a hard drive enclosure off ebay. Assembly takes 2 mins then format the drive and your ready to go. Just make sure you get the correct IDE or SATA enclosure for the drive (it will say whichit is on it).

Why 2.5inch? well they dont require a power source and run happily from USB.
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

[Edited and cut for double post buffonery!!!]
  4. mysteron

2 possible options here:

1. Get a Freecom HDD (500Gb), I bought on for approx £60 and cart it about with your netbook. This is an additional memory storage device and means that you can free up your memory on the notebook itself for the Operating System (OS).

2. If you are savvy and you use the internet a lot with your notebook, why not set up a home network with a Buffalo Linkstation Quad (1Tb) (approx £260) and put everything on there and access through the internet. This will require you to do a few more special things (and additional costs if you want a reasonable level of security (like a VPN enabled switch for example - £90 in PC World) and there is a thread running about that in the forum.

The latter is a little more complex and is at the limit of my capabilities and I am constantly seeking advice as to the best way to do this whilst keeping it as secure as one can when operating over the internet.

Good Luck!!
  5. Yep, for my money you would be best nipping into PC world or similar and buying a 320 (or whatever) Gb USB drive (makes are Seagate, Western digital). They come with a short USB lead, which you just stick into your PC. There is as was prev said, no need for a power supply. After a few seconds if you look in "My Computer" you will see the drive listed as a "removeable disk" with an allocated letter (d, e, or f etc). To save things to it you can simply drag and drop files onto it, or you can use the "save as" function on the normal drop down menus. In this case the drive will be listed as an optional location. I think a 320 Gb drive now costs about 50 quid, cheap as chips.
  6. And what Mysteron said LOL!
  7. Access question?

Can an external drive store files needed for games such as MS FlightSimX or X plane 9?

I mean, will I be able to play them from the ext drive, so as to free up my HDD on the PC, or will I still need the equivalent space on my HDD to use the software?

The spotty little cünts in PC World just stare blankly at me, think of commission and sales targets and then say 'Yes'

Funnily enough, I don't believe them.
  8. Probably a good idea mate, most of those tw@ts know less about computers than I do about driving a submarine :p
  9. mysteron

Unles your connection is through LAN at a high speed and the performance of your external HDD has a high spindle rate (i.e. ability to flow data quickly) then it is not advisable. I would store your files (photos, iTunes, ahem "J1" material, etc) on an ext HDD.

Just my tuppence worth.
  10. Store your files on the external HDD, you can play films from USB HDD (esp the solid stae ones).

Store your programes on the computers internal HDD. A small partition, allows for you to store small data on occaision when you are on the go.

On the other hand, you could upgrade your HDD in your comptuer. Quite cheap for an advent, but you can't go to big.
  11. A - Kind of guessing you are after a 3.5 inch floppy drive, if so try here

its USB powered so just pop it into a USB slot :)

B - 500Gb USB powered Harddrive (small size)

Copy all your document files and store DVD/Divx file directly on to it (also watch them straight off it too)