External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Andy_Caps_Commando, Dec 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I come to you again for advice that may or may not be rocket science to some but is to me.

For a while now the home computer is running a little slow and doing the usual anti virus checks, malware etc. nothing shows up. Talking to a few mates the other day and they have their external hard drives attached to their computers and they all say it makes the computer faster booting up and loading pages etc.

Now my question is does this make a difference and if so should this be the main drive rather than the hard drive of the computer? We're running a Dell Dimension 4600 and internet is provided by T-Com at 2mb if that helps.

Cheers in advance
  2. The external Hard drive in it self will not make your computer quicker
    I believe what your mates are saying is transfer some things off your current C drive and put it on another drive ie a external one.

The external goes through the small USB which is slow compared to the SATA Hard drive

Can i suggest Ccleaner - a free download that I now swear by to clean my hard drive

Also everything on your desktop will slow the computer down..
    they are brought out and ready to use on start up - ask yourself if these are all really nessessery?
    (you will have copys in C/program files anyway so if you want 'em just go get them)

Hope this all makes sense and helps a little?
  3. Suggest you also Defrag your HDD as well.
    This may help programs to run quicker.
  4. Defrag and ccleaner are both good suggestions but the best way to speed up your computer is to add more memory - RAM is cheap nowadays and will make a massive difference
  5. I defragged for the first time in a while the other week -- it took 7 and a quarter hours to complete!
  6. you may also want to try a registry repair wizard, this can make an hell of a difference, it did to mine
  7. msr

msr LE

I think this will make little or no difference as they are just shortcuts to the applications.

If you want to see what runs at start up, run msconfig.

8. the basics for determining your computing speed are mainly your processor, memory and hard drive sizes and of course, your OS. get the best motherboard, most memory and bigger disk size as you can afford. this is then followed by the programs you have on your computer and what you are processing. if possible, get rid of programs you dont use/need. it also depends on what you are processing, whether it's a database or graphics, etc. those take up much of your resources. as suggested, you can transfer some of your files to an external harddrive. i use mine for back-ups and to store graphics/pix, etc. one of its benefits is you can easily transport the external disk. if you have a desk top pc, you can also just get a bigger drive, install it as your main drive, then use your old one as a secondary drive (attached internally). this means no additional peripherals on your desk.

hope that helps somewhat.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Not if he has been dumping files on there such as docs and pictures.

Having said that, it would only really effect the boot speed on a network with a roaming profile.
  10. msr

msr LE

He is running a home computer, read the original post :roll:

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I did. I was making a general point, mainly towards Wilie.
  12. yes I understand thanks..

quite correct about msconfig/startup

just didn't want to get too complicated!

just keeping it simple when basic help is needed
  13. The less processes you have running at startup, the faster it will boot. I have mine down to 33. Things like apple ipod can be disabled or set to manual. Windows updates are disabled and my mp3 loader

If in doubt what they do, google them.

Look at running processes by pressing alt ctrl delete once, then scroll down to see whats going on.
  14. msr

msr LE

Why? This is one of the best ways to keep yourself secure.

15. Have to agree with MSR just run MSConfig and clear all the shite out of the startup if your not sure what you can disable, google is your friend in this situation. Then run every update you can find follwed by a quick blast on the CCLeaner. that usually does the trick before it starts to get technical.