External hard drive woes.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by wedge_cadman, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a Freecom Classic SL 320 GB external hard drive, which was working fine up until today. I am running Vista, drive attached by USB with seperate power source.

Yesterday i transferred the father in laws old XP contents to his new shiny windows7 laptop using my hard drive.

Today it now doesn't work back on my laptop. i get a message - " USB doesn't recognise this device"

I've tried the old on/off switch and looked for new drivers on line but so far no success.

Any suggestions?

2. Roll back to the previous driver, when it was working.

3. wedge_cadman

i tried that but it's just not recognising it as a working device :-(

4. Does another USB device work when plugged into the same USB port?

5. wedge_cadman

yes, the port in fact all usb ports work fine with another device in

6. I assume that you can see the device in device manager when it's plugged in? (probably with a little yellow"!")

Does the drive show in "my computer" when plugged in? I'm guessing not.

Does the drive show in "disk management" when plugged in? I assume not, but if it does, does it have a deive letter assigned?

7. wedge_cadman

screen.jpg

I am fairly pc savvy so i've been through device manager and the registry. screenshot is the message after plugging in.

8. In device manager, have you right clicked on your PC name, and "scanned for hardware change" once it's plugged in?

9. Windows 7 hasn't updated the drives operating software has it, and it's not backwards compatable?

Are the hidden files still on the drive?

10. wedge_cadman

I was starting to think this may be the case. I used easy transfer with windows 7 and the XP machine to transfer files. I can't actually see a drive letter so don't have access to any files on the drive. I'm starting to think I may have to upgrade to 7 just to get access to my files. The only other thing that has changed is a new usb cable and that works with other devices.

11. I wouldn't have thought so? It's just an external HDD.....

12. wedge_cadman

Thanks for all your help. I've resolved it. I changed the cable for one that I use with an external DVD drive and now it works.
    Fecking 'puters. One afternoon wasted.