External hard drive woes.

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a Freecom Classic SL 320 GB external hard drive, which was working fine up until today. I am running Vista, drive attached by USB with seperate power source.

Yesterday i transferred the father in laws old XP contents to his new shiny windows7 laptop using my hard drive.

Today it now doesn't work back on my laptop. i get a message - " USB doesn't recognise this device"

I've tried the old on/off switch and looked for new drivers on line but so far no success.

Any suggestions?

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
i tried that but it's just not recognising it as a working device :-(

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
yes, the port in fact all usb ports work fine with another device in

P

PrinceAlbert

yes, the port in fact all usb ports work fine with another device in
I assume that you can see the device in device manager when it's plugged in? (probably with a little yellow"!")

Does the drive show in "my computer" when plugged in? I'm guessing not.

Does the drive show in "disk management" when plugged in? I assume not, but if it does, does it have a deive letter assigned?

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
screen.jpg

I am fairly pc savvy so i've been through device manager and the registry. screenshot is the message after plugging in.

P

PrinceAlbert

In device manager, have you right clicked on your PC name, and "scanned for hardware change" once it's plugged in?

Windows 7 hasn't updated the drives operating software has it, and it's not backwards compatable?

Are the hidden files still on the drive?

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Windows 7 hasn't updated the drives operating software has it, and it's not backwards compatable?

Are the hidden files still on the drive?
I was starting to think this may be the case. I used easy transfer with windows 7 and the XP machine to transfer files. I can't actually see a drive letter so don't have access to any files on the drive. I'm starting to think I may have to upgrade to 7 just to get access to my files. The only other thing that has changed is a new usb cable and that works with other devices.

P

PrinceAlbert

I was starting to think this may be the case. I used easy transfer with windows 7 and the XP machine to transfer files. I can't actually see a drive letter so don't have access to any files on the drive. I'm starting to think I may have to upgrade to 7 just to get access to my files. The only other thing that has changed is a new usb cable and that works with other devices.
I wouldn't have thought so? It's just an external HDD.....

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all your help. I've resolved it. I changed the cable for one that I use with an external DVD drive and now it works.
Fecking 'puters. One afternoon wasted.