External Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Legs, Jun 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh great technical wizards, geeks and nerds. I prostate myself before you and beg for you assistance.

I have 2x 1TB Western Digital My Passport EHDs. Both over 1/2 full. One with movies and one with TV Series. One of them has started playing silly buggers. When I plug it into my laptop it opens fine, it even starts playing the movie of choice - for about 1 minute. Then it stops, freezes and nothing will make it go again save unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Then it does the same thing. I can't even copy things onto it because it stops after a minute.

Now, if that was it I would say that something is stopping the platten(?) spinning. But if I plug it into my BlueRay player it works fine and I can watch the movie.

The other identical EHD works fine, so I can't see it being a laptop problem.

Signed, Discombobulated of Tidders.

2. What power supply do they use. Straight from the USB port?

3. Yep, no external power socket.

4. Get a powered USB hub.

5. Do you use the same leads for connecting between the EHD/Laptop and EHD/Blu-ray player?

6. Same leads. The Blu-Ray player has a standard USB port in the front

7. Dogmeat beat me to it. Sounds like your EHD requires more current than the laptop can provide. If there's no mechanical fault restricting the spin then the power consumption problem is related to the electronics and might be an indicator of it dying in the near future.

8. Seems good. It's the cheapest option. If it works, fine. If not, a few quid won't go amiss.

9. Thanks - Let's hope it works.

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

or a Y lead for it, wd ship them with single plug leads.

11. The USB cable or port could be faulty. Follow this link for some help
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 419"]http://www.ihelpline.com/Computers/I17?3p=1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

12. i had one that played up all i did was remove the harddrive from its case and put it in a new one, had no problems after that.