• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

External Hard Drive Problem

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oh great technical wizards, geeks and nerds. I prostate myself before you and beg for you assistance.

I have 2x 1TB Western Digital My Passport EHDs. Both over 1/2 full. One with movies and one with TV Series. One of them has started playing silly buggers. When I plug it into my laptop it opens fine, it even starts playing the movie of choice - for about 1 minute. Then it stops, freezes and nothing will make it go again save unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Then it does the same thing. I can't even copy things onto it because it stops after a minute.

Now, if that was it I would say that something is stopping the platten(?) spinning. But if I plug it into my BlueRay player it works fine and I can watch the movie.

The other identical EHD works fine, so I can't see it being a laptop problem.

Signed, Discombobulated of Tidders.

Dogmeat beat me to it. Sounds like your EHD requires more current than the laptop can provide. If there's no mechanical fault restricting the spin then the power consumption problem is related to the electronics and might be an indicator of it dying in the near future.

The USB cable or port could be faulty. Follow this link for some help
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 419"]http://www.ihelpline.com/Computers/I17?3p=1[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

M

mogwaimarshall

i had one that played up all i did was remove the harddrive from its case and put it in a new one, had no problems after that.

Latest Threads