External Hard Drive Buggered. Help Needed asap

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Group_Captain_Mandrake, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Duff question this may be but any help would be appreciated.

Got an external hard drive which I've used to store a few presentations I need to give very soon. Been using it today up until 1600. Unplugged it, moved to a different room and plugged it straight back in. The blue power light is on but the hard disk is not turning neither is it getting warmer or being registered on my laptop. Can any of you geniuses recommend a course of action which doesn't involve a hammer or oodles of lost work?

2. Could be your USB port or lead? have you tried other devices in the port?
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Did you wait for it to run down before moving it? Sometimes, they don't like being disturbed. Have you returned it to its original room? Did you use the same power adapter for it?

A possibility is the power supply / interface of the caddy itself is corrupt - strip it down, remove the hard drive, and put it into your desktop case as a slave drive. You should then be able to access it. If success: your external caddy is knacked. If failure: oh dear!
  4. Sounds like a HW issue or perhaps a 'dirty' NTFS unmount (ie. Just yanking it out rather than cleanly unmounting it and tidying up)
    I know how I'd go about fixing it but it involves probing from a linux command line (lsusb, mount etc) which I doubt you want to do.
    have you tried booting up your laptop with the disk attached as a start? or checking in device manager (right click My computer>manage) for any erroneous looking entries or anything related to your disk?
  5. Yup. Got three ports on the laptop, drive doesn't funtion when plugged into any of them. The drive usually hums very lightly when it's working and it's stopped doing that. Suggests the drive is up the creek. Do you reckon it can be fixed without losing all data?
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Just noticed you have a laptop. Have you a desktop as well, or a friend who can slave it for you?
  7. Couldn't say if its repairable but your data's safe.
    Worst case scenario a data recovery agent or geeky friend will have to recover it for you but your data is not lost.
  8. I don't know if this will work but you could try creating an MS Dos Batch File.

Open note book and try typing the following:

(Assuming F:\ is your drive name?)

Save it to your desktop as Scandisk.bat

left click once on the batch file and see what it does.... probably nothing..
  9. No desktop and no geeky friend to slave although that sounds interesting.

Taken it apart, all connections are sound and no visibible damage. Tried moving it back to original room, booting it up as suggested no joy. Not a clue about li nux stuff so will be resorting to a hammer I suspect.

Thanks for the suggestions
  10. Try doing it in notepad in utilities or try command prompt F:\Scandisk
  11. Bit like trying the housekey before the porchkey if that makes any sense.
    To get a drive letter you would need to be mounted.
    This drive won't mount.
    Still good to see batch files though. Love 'em :wink: Especially the ones that run shellcode :twisted:
  12. While not wishing to further reveal my total ignorance, should the drive itself not be humming or showing some evidence of working other than a faint blue light or is that evidence enough that it's working?
  13. Mine has done this a few times, often after it si dropped.
    Data recovery folk wanted £80 + to get data back.
    Found a good solid tap with draive flat against the table got it going again.
    Best of luck
  14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Yes. Even with a good, very silent drive, touching it you should feel faint vibration from the drive spinning. Which is why you need you get it out of its enclosure, to isolate whether the drive itself or the caddy is at fault.
  15. I think I've got the same one: Black slim thing with blue/green LED's.
    You'll hear a humming when it's idling. When the revs pick up the pitch will increase and when data is being written it sounds like a hi-speed geiger counter. Mine can be heard from the room next door, it's pretty loud.