Extermination camp?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Aggernon, Aug 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know what that clutch of practical-looking buildings were on the ring road around Soltau were?

The had no name, use or security. They did have a barbed-wire fence though.

About four/five 1930's/40's buildings.

2. Doesn't sound like an extermination camp.

i stayed in a similar camp near Soltau, I think it was an old German Camp for Soldiers/police or forest wardens. Used for a troop shelter.

There was one on Luneburger area (might even have een Saltau) which was like a hunting lodge complete with fire, that we used one winter. Took us hours to get an earth spike out on that ex, had to dig the fcuker out.

3. How far around the ring road if it was towards MunsterLarger then it might have been our old workshops that was outside camp on the range road surrounded by barbed wire

4. Actually, I stupidly named the 'ring road of Soltau' when I meant the largely ignored and boarded group of buildings on the range road at Hohne.

5. There weren't any "extermination camps" built in Germany it self.

Any number of concentration camps or labour camps and the like though.
    Even in the middle of cities some buildings would be used to hold slave labourers so might have been something like that I suppose.

6. Munster Nord? Gasplatz Breloh perhaps?

7. There were quite a few old farm houses/yards utelised by firing units and the German Range guys! Over the other side near Hohne was a transit camp mainly used by the Hun during there time on the ranges and over on the Fally side IVO Ostenholz is another one, again used by them!

8. But I seem to remember the windows boarded up as well as there being barbed wire on its fences.

Suspicious. Somewhere that had an embarrassing Nazi past?

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well seeing as most military premises have barbed wire it hardly screams dachau. the transit camps in sennelager were a bit iffy at times.

10. No identification (very unmilitary and unpractical for our hosts).

Might have been somewhere for Johann Bondstein and sein Q to meet). Alternatively, it was a small extermination camp (which was a bit like my panzer on ranges really).

11. Glynn Hughes Barracks was behind the Golf Course on the Ring Road.