Exterior Frame vs Internal Frame Bergans

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
More efficient for putting weight on hips and better ventilation. I know there's some very good internal framed sacs out there, but they cannot match the traditional external frame for that.
yep defo better ventilation and load carrying.

1590183944914.png

yep defo better ventilation and load carrying.

View attachment 475724
But when the lazy techs put in their 6*4 table tops and beds on top , and one day it rains and the beds short out the batteries and the whole thing starts to burn and you are in the middle of a German forest and , well stuck, buggered , fucced. What do you do?

As a Tech who did this, I took my maggot into the woods and slept until the REME arrived.

Good days.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
But when the lazy techs put in their 6*4 table tops and beds on top , and one day it rains and the beds short out the batteries and the whole thing starts to burn and you are in the middle of a German forest and , well stuck, buggered , fucced. What do you do?

As a Tech who did this, I took my maggot into the woods and slept until the REME arrived.

Good days.
never had that problem in my recce rover - I stayed curled up in the passenger seat listening to the battalion net :-D

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to have the ole exterior A frame bergan. it was a sod so I had to pad it all out . Also added extra pouches (57 webbing) to it .

Anyone remember the Arctic warfare H frame jobs ? Pre PLCE, they were the "military" option to forking out for a Berghaus Cyclops Roc. The Patt 58 "Large Pack, sandwiches" being not that roomy.

gafkiwi

War Hero
As some of you may know I help with a local Boy Scouts of America troop. The Troop master, old school Scout from Nebraska is convinced that his exterior framed Rucksack is the way to go. I assume this is based on his upbringing and the Alice pack of Vietnam era.

His main preference comes from the hip support and that it allows air to pass around his back being less sweaty.

My opinions are entirely biased based on the OG and DPM Bergans that we had when in green and the brief and horrible experience with the 320 when it was frame mounted. I far prefer our issued kit (though not, obviously the Larry Large pack). Obviously also when I look at a frame keeping the weight further from your body the cantilever effect of the weight makes the frame nonsense to my mind. But then I remember the old SAS Bergan and those guys knew a thing or two about weight carrying...

So whats the DS Solution and has anyone anything good to say about the exterior frame?
I think the start point would be your target audience being the scouts and any requirements rather than deciding at the outset to go internal or external frame. Being kids to teens you need to work out what they will need to carry in the first place and in what environment. Then whatever packs will meet this will need to fit them, be as lightweight, good quality (and most likely as economical) as possible. That should at least wind it down to a few pack designs that meet the requirement. From there your budget will narrow it down more and give you a couple to choose from be the internal or external framed, remembering you get what you paid for.
We are in the process of dropping the Eblestock Terminator (internal frame) as our issue pack as it would be a fine tramping or hunting pack but was crap as a light Inf pack. Its belt, harness and straps were pretty good and like most current designs did a good job of adjusting to different wearer sizes and spreading the weight to the belt and didn't get to hot.
One thing to remember is its about giving these guys a good experience in the outdoors and not over loading them just because. They need something robust, functional and lightweight but they don't need something they could also strap a couple belts of 7.62 and a 84mm or jump with.

Anyone remember the Arctic warfare H frame jobs ? Pre PLCE, they were the "military" option to forking out for a Berghaus Cyclops Roc.
I had one of those. I swapped it for something or other. I wish I still had it so I could Ebay it, as I understand they're quite rare. I ended up with a Karrimor Jaguar S85 which was high-end kit in the mid '80s. The only ball-ache was the long back and waist belt. Folding the belt back sort of defeated the object but it wasn't so bad. The 58 kidney pouches had to go though. It had bendable stiffeners for back shape. Still have it and still going strong.

H Frame

Royal+Marines+Arctic+Bergen+Rucksack+(10).jpg

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
are those brown things tool boxes?
choccy stores probably - mine had a huge battery box there that was half empty.

but then we had more demountable kit 352, 320 and the 353 IIRC.

and a pintle mount in the middle which made roofing it a bugger

Good lord, its even got they do-not-ever-use green fire extinguisher whose fumes that would kill half the neighbourhood if used.

Latest Threads