Extension to service - medical discharge

My medical discharge date is the 22nd of Apr 2020 I Have just undergone major complex surgery on my neck(rib removed and scalene muscle).
Originaly my unit agreed to back an extension of service because I wouldn't physically be in a position to transition but after it being discussed on the UHC they will no longer back it?

The policy states that soldiers should be given time to take their resettlement whilst in service, clearly this is not the case for me an I have no time to attend CRE or CTW courses.

I feel like I am being kicked to the kerb and my service is being terminated without taking into consideration both physical and mental health that was ultimately service attributable.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or can offer any advice?

Thanks!!!!

Section 4 of JSP 534 is your friend.

Para 408 seems to apply to you, but read everything.

408.In exceptional circumstances, a medical condition might preclude in-Service access to the resettlement support to which an individual is entitled. In such cases the Medical Board34(MB) may recommend that resettlement be deferred post-discharge or transferred to the spouse or civil partner (see para 421), or a Nominated Proxy (see para 422). This deferred or transferred resettlement may be undertaken up to 2 years post-discharge or longer at the discretionof the sS SDE35HQ. Further detail of this provision is at Sect 3.2.409.Resettlement Entitlement for Mobilised Reserves.With regard to Reserves who

Section 4 of JSP 534 is your friend.

Para 408 seems to apply to you, but read everything.

408.In exceptional circumstances, a medical condition might preclude in-Service access to the resettlement support to which an individual is entitled. In such cases the Medical Board34(MB) may recommend that resettlement be deferred post-discharge or transferred to the spouse or civil partner (see para 421), or a Nominated Proxy (see para 422). This deferred or transferred resettlement may be undertaken up to 2 years post-discharge or longer at the discretionof the sS SDE35HQ. Further detail of this provision is at Sect 3.2.409.Resettlement Entitlement for Mobilised Reserves.With regard to Reserves who
I knew an ex Signals SNCO that was Med Discharged after a serious motorbike smash, he was authorised to get his resettlement post Discharge.

Key word in the above post is "Exceptional", it is down to the MoD what they class as exceptional circumstances but your unit/Med Centre should be able to contact Med Discharges at Glasgow to have yours deferred post-discharge.

@dun_n_dusted,

The main point is that @BoroBrando is obviously one of those exceptional circumstances, so should be entitled to resettlement.
I would suggest that BoroBrando gets in touch with his IERO.

CRE 1, 2 and 3 are mandatory, they should at least extend your service to include these.

That is my argument I have attended CRE 1, my consultant letter states briefly 'Minimum of eight weeks recovery' but this is me being able to get out of bed and start to attend physio not back to daily activities but my unit have decided to use this as evidence of me having ample time to transition.

Surgery 21 Jan
8 Weeks 'Recovery' 10 March
That gives me 6 weeks in there eyes to transition.

I have a wife, 2 kids, one with additional needs and they wont consider a extension to service.

My clerks have told me im pushing it with time to clear from unit and I am in no position to use my IRTC or GRT entitlement due to my health.

UWO are on the units side and the doctor has told them ill be fit enough.

Just feel like im being kicked to the kerb and not being treated fairly.

To make matters worse I was an in patient in hospital for 5 days and did not once get a visit from my unit even after the ward calling to request someone come and see me.

Who exactly have I got to complain to when the welfare team aren't backing my side and the unit or against an extension too. My MO is supportive but as soon as he is sat on a UHC he backs the units plans.

Really struggling both physically and mentally and not sure who to reach out to.

I appreciate everyones advice means a lot!!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
@dingerr has it right. Whatever condition/injury should have stabilised prior to discharge. Securely save every piece of evidence (emails, med notes, etc.) in case they push it through and it ends up in a legal case. Explore whether you are entitled to CTP Assist. Make noise about this, don't be shy about mentioning taking legal advice.

@dingerr has it right. Whatever condition/injury should have stabilised prior to discharge. Securely save every piece of evidence (emails, med notes, etc.) in case they push it through and it ends up in a legal case. Explore whether you are entitled to CTP Assist. Make noise about this, don't be shy about mentioning taking legal advice.
thanks! Unfortunately I’m not stranger to taking on this kind of battle. Don’t suppose you know any policies or JSP that explore injury’s on discharge and extensions of service?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I only remember because I had to get one of my team extended when he was due out on redundancy but had a non resolved condition. It was 7 years ago and I'm long out I'm afraid