• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Extension of Veterans Badge distribution

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6446013.stm

Announced yesterday that Birmingham would hold veterans day this year,
and that Northern Ireland and Falkland Islands campaings would be added to entitlement for veterans badges.

Needless to say that the Veterans Agency website has yet to be updated to reflect this change, as the forms do not cover the newly announced additions.

Really joined up government!

Bob

We'll do them proud don't you worry. The Lord Mayor is an ex-Tankie.

oldbaldy

LE
From the Veterans Agency site:

25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS CAMPAIGN

Veterans who will be attending the 25th Anniversary of the Falkland Islands Campaign at Horse Guards Parade on 17 June 2007 will automatically be sent an HM Armed Forces Veteran’s Badge with their tickets
http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm

So does my father's two years national service in Wales blowing up sheep in 1950 count for getting one of these? I'll arrange it for him if it does. I don't imagine he'd wear it much but it'd be nice for him to have it.

Vets Agency site has been updated, application forms can be downloaded in .pdf/RTF formats.
Alternatively you can 'phone 0800 169 2277 free from the UK or +44 1253866043 (as long as you have your details of service available).
It takes 3-4 weeks to receive your HM Forces Veterans Badge.

EX_STAB said:
So does my father's two years national service in Wales blowing up sheep in 1950 count for getting one of these? I'll arrange it for him if it does. I don't imagine he'd wear it much but it'd be nice for him to have it.
Yes, he is eligible, for details and application form CLICK HERE.

hackle said:
EX_STAB said:
Yes, he is eligible, for details and application form CLICK HERE.
Thanks Hackle, I'm going to see him and fix up his new computer on Sunday so I'll make that his first destination on the Internet :D

I was mid tour in FI on the cut off date (31st December 1984) but neither versions of the form seem to cater for non-UK residents.

Bugger! I suppose it will be half an hour of Greensleeves before I get to talk to somebody.

mistersoft said:
I was mid tour in FI on the cut off date (31st December 1984) but neither versions of the form seem to cater for non-UK residents.

Bugger! I suppose it will be half an hour of Greensleeves before I get to talk to somebody.
They answered straight away when I called (prior to my last posting) after usual "we are recording this for posterity or whatever" message - it is a freephone number anyway (in the UK).

I still might give it a go.

Its not free from the Netherlands, hence the reluctance to have to pay to listen to Greensleeves.

I have just reread the original post.

This extension business to include FI and NI veterans, confuses me as I thought the badge was open to anyone who had served in the forces, regardless of theatre?

BlotBangRub said:

This extension business to include FI and NI veterans, confuses me as I thought the badge was open to anyone who had served in the forces, regardless of theatre?
Well the elegibility period previously ended in 1969 ie before those two wars. They're just using those as examples of conflicts covered by the extended elegibility period I think.

Mistersoft download the form here and fax it to Vets Agency Tel: +44 1253 330561 (might be cheaper)

BBB: from the Veterans Agency Website
Veterans Agency said:
UK Armed Forces Veterans Lapel Badge

Did you serve in HM Armed Forces?

Service before and during World War II

Men and women who Served in HM Armed Forces before and/or during World War II are entitled to a Veterans Badge.
There are other groups who Served during World War II who are included, these are:
Cyprus Regiment
Home Guard
Polish Forces under UK Command

Please note, that Veterans who served in Armed Forces of other Countries and those who served alongside HM Armed Forces are not eligible. Examples of these are Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force etc

Service after World War II
Men and Women who enlisted in HM Armed Forces between 3 September 1945 and 31 December 1984 are entitled to a Veterans Badge. There is no qualifying length of Service.

Posthumous requests
It is regrettable that the badge cannot be issued posthumously. The badge is a survivors’ badge, which is to be worn on civilian attire.

The only exceptions are War Widows and Widowers who are in receipt of a War Widows/Widowers Pension paid by Veterans Agency.

Extensions to the criteria
It is the aim, eventually, to include all those who Served in HM Armed Forces, however the demand for the badge continues to be high.
Once it is known when the eligibility is to be extended for those whose Service began after 31 December 1984, details will be posted on this website.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept requests for badges at this time from people whose Service began after 31 December 1984.

25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FALKLAND ISLANDS CAMPAIGN

Veterans who will be attending the 25th Anniversary of the Falkland Islands Campaign at Horse Guards Parade on 17 June 2007 will automatically be sent an HM Armed Forces Veteran’s Badge with their tickets and should not apply to the Veterans Agency using the from below.

New UK Merchant Seafarers Veterans Badge

If you Served in the Merchant Navy during Military Operations click here.

How to apply

You can apply by any of the following methods:
Click on one of the links below to access the application form.
Application Forms
Acrobat Reader Version
Microsoft Word Version

Please ensure you complete the form as fully as possible.

You may post or fax your completed form to Veterans Agency.

Another option is to download the form, complete it electronically, save the form and return to Veterans Agency by email.

If you wish, you may call the Freephone number to apply. Please ensure you have to hand all the details asked for on the application form.

Postal address:
Veterans Agency, Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancashire, FY5 3WP

Fax:
01253 330561(UK Only)
+44 1253 330561 (Overseas)

Email: help@veteransagency.gsi.gov.uk

Freephone Helpline
Free: 0800 169 2277 (UK only)
Free: 0800 169 3458 (Minicom UK only)
+44 1253 866043 (Overseas)

Information for Third Parties
ex-Service organisations
public advisors

If you wish to publicise the availability of the Veterans Lapel Badge, please use the exact criteria and contact details as shown above.

edited to highlight options

Well the elegibility period previously ended in 1969 ie before those two wars. They're just using those as examples of conflicts covered by the extended elegibility period I think.

Thanks.

oldbaldy

LE
BlotBangRub said:

More spin really.
FI was 1982 so bringing the next batch to 1984 would include them. NI kicked off in 1969 so anyone who joined in the late 60s onwards is likely to have served there (including yours truly).
Important thing is that the dates are now catching up.
Of course less served in the 70/80s than the 50/60s so they are able to deal with bigger batches, 15 years this time rather than the 10 year blocks previously.

Feck me, that was quick...two minutes talking to "Mark" in Lytham and the treasured pin is on its way! Just NI number and an address, service number or numbers in my case and badda-boom, badda-bing! Job done.