Extending the lives of army Land Rovers

Good on him.

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, especially as this seems to be an entirely good thing, but isn't this another case of paying a civilian contractor to do stuff that we always did anyway? I seem to remember that the REME were quite good at "cannibalisation" until the pratice was outlawed.

:D Equipment cut back to forces by labour, this bloke looks like he will be the main man to keep M.O.D. running, good on him Landrover was a top vehicle and in years to come it still will be :D

It's a symptom of how the REME has been hamstrung since the mid-90's. We are so far up our own arrse that getting the VM's to work on kit is secondary to sweeping the hangars, going on courses, guarding Tidworth etc. etc.
Meanwhile, it's cheaper to have people like this do the work for the MOD. It's barking but there's a general unwillingness to confront reality up in DEME(A) who bleat about competency and in-mission effect but tend to be blinkered about life on the shopfloor.

Is there any reason why HM forces could not do what he is doing (realise its a bit late now). Seems daft to have been out done by one chap with a cracking bit of forward thinking?

The_Majors_Son said:
Is there any reason why HM forces could not do what he is doing (realise its a bit late now). Seems daft to have been out done by one chap with a cracking bit of forward thinking?
I answered that one.

In conventional big business and Government accounting terms it is most likely what this guy is doing would make no sense at all. That is not to say there is anything wrong with it though!

Only works because:

"I am the only shareholder. I have no dividends to pay, so I choose when to buy [component] stock or tools."

And good for him.

"I am supplying the MoD with a brand new Land Rover at the price it was sold at 10 years ago, which is half what Land Rover charges for a new one now,"

So, lets get this striaght - he buys old landies off the MOD for pennies as part of the disposal process, strips them down, puts them back together, then sells them back to the MOD for many times more than he paid for them.

Bloody Genius

Well, either he's a genius or the MOD are thick as mince. Which do you want to bet on?

Cable_Ties said:
The_Majors_Son said:
I answered that one.
Sorry, what i meant to say was is there any physical reason why REME couldn't do it yet he could, or was it just internal politcs etc.

Infernal politics....bad engineering decisions.....lack of engineering decisions.....no engineering input from the shop floor level.

Take your pick, there's a multitude of reasons. None of them in particular explain the mess we as a Corps find ourselves in but put them together and you end up with what we have at the minute. Unhappy VM's and Techs signing off in their droves.

Cable_Ties said:
Infernal politics....bad engineering decisions.....lack of engineering decisions.....no engineering input from the shop floor level.

Take your pick, there's a multitude of reasons. None of them in particular explain the mess we as a Corps find ourselves in but put them together and you end up with what we have at the minute. Unhappy VM's and Techs signing off in their droves.
Highlighting those points is a report in Todays Time Career bit, accorrding to a CMI survey over 60% of management time in the Defense Industry is wasted on internal politics. Which means that two thirds of the time of a Mangement level bod is spent building empires, defending positions and undermining other managers.

I wonder why MoD never gets anything done on time and in budget?

Does anybody have any thoughts behind why the DRS contact works so well? It's about the only recent development that aids us (the Reems) to turn around kit faster than lightning? That includes on exercise, dropping a vehicle off at Rollestone Camp, having the DRS guy change the windscreen in 2 hours, and whoosh, it's off. Fantastic! Better than waiting 4 months and not having the competencies to carry out the job anyway :roll:

Big_Duke_Six said:
Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, especially as this seems to be an entirely good thing, but isn't this another case of paying a civilian contractor to do stuff that we always did anyway? I seem to remember that the REME were quite good at "cannibalisation" until the pratice was outlawed.
... not only the REME - we had five clapped out landrovers shipped out to us in the 80's for us to cannibalise (we managed to make 3 + a few spares) - new landies were reserved for the (remf) admin 'guins at station HQ :roll:

In the 80s we had teams of REME TA came out to Munsterlager to dismantle Centurion Tanks, cleaned the bits packed in to grease bags and shelved ready to keep our others going. They also did the same for our cheiftains a different year.

Im sure the unit title had Reclamation in it.

The guy is a genius

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Slime Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 19
Timble Travel 4
Slime DIY 20