Extended lung function test???

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by OCS001, Jun 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was told today that when I go to AOSB Main Board, I have got to take an extended lung function test, as I have a history of a wheeze.

Can anyone tell me what this is? and what is involved?

thanks for any information in advance.

Edited to add: I have already checked online for details, but I was just wondering what involved with the one at AOSB.
  2. no, but id ask my gp
  3. It means breathing out of your arrse, as you'll find out on the run.

I never realised my lungs were that low down..

Good luck.
  4. A nice ride on a bike apparently. I can't wait! ha ha
  5. They stick you on an exercise bike and have you cycle until your heart rate is at a certain level - then you maintain it for a while (I think it was 10-15 minutes). All the while you're having air pumped direct into your mouth from some strange machine. The most uncomfortable thing for me was that the air hit the back of my throat straight away and made it as dry as Gandhi's sandal.
  6. I had to do this.

You do a peak flow test three times, then you get on an exercise bike and have something akin to a divers mouthpiece placed in your mouth which is attached to a large bag of ure oxygen. Then you cycle at a set RPM as they increase the resistance after a set time you dismount and do another 3 peak flow measurements, then theres a pause I forget how long and you get to do another 3 peak flow tests.

If your lucky you'll do just before you start the MSFT just to make it interesting.
  7. Thanks for the info. It seems a bit unfair that you go from doing this to the MSFT, but oh well when is anything easy.

Does anyone know whether a wheeze is related to asthma?
  8. Off- thread, but on the subject of extended tests, ever heard of anyone being made to drink what amounted to a pint of kendal mintcake because they had a relative with diabetes? (I know someone who was made to do this, but I would have thought nearly everybody had a granny, uncle or cousin who was diabetic).
  9. No surely that would be dangerous and could trigger a reaction I thought the urinalysis would have covered all the diabetes testing for AOSB.
  10. The medical part comes towards the end of the board, so well after the MSFT. Mine was the last thing I did before going home.
  11. Did you have to do a LFT? I was told to report early so I could do it first thing on day 1.
  12. I did, and I did it with the medical. But I guess things have changed in the intervening two years.
  13. Or they just felt like shafting me! Did mine in August 2007.
  14. I guess they just felt like shafting you. It wasn't all good for me though, by the time I'd done that and the medical I was the last person on the bus to the station.

15. Is there something bad with being the last person on the bus?