Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Exposing a stone wall

gorilla

War hero
Hi
I’m wanting to expose a stone wall in my kitchen. The property is a converted granary from the 1800s. Unfortunately the stone seems to be coated with some sort of paint, render or plaster. Does anyone know what it is and how to remove it.

Hi
I’m wanting to expose a stone wall in my kitchen. The property is a converted granary from the 1800s. Unfortunately the stone seems to be coated with some sort of paint, render or plaster. Does anyone know what it is and how to remove it.
Pictures might help? Is the stone worth exposing? If it is nice dressed stone, it might be worth doing.If however it is random ragstone and other rubbish, painting it might look better.
as for sand blasting, it will probably work, but the sand gets everywhere,no matter how well you think you have sealed off the kitchen!

I've seen sandblasting work, but as mentioned its hugely messy and will take an age to clean up. Depending on the 'mortar' used as well, it can 'dig out' the cement between the joints very quickly.

This
11236.jpg

and this

shopping.png

Two hundred odd years old, leave well alone. You could open a whole can of worms, things falling out or down. Build up a 'face' of similar stone, it's not new, all stone is millions old.

CFB

If it's paint: Wire brush.
If it's render or plaster: Lump hammer and chisel, followed by wire brush.

For both: Decent dust mask and protective eye-wear.