Export of Arms - British Expertise

I thought that some of our members would be interested in an item of business in the Northern Ireland Assembly (12th Jan). It went as follows:

Gerry Adams (Sinn Féin): On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I wish you and other Members here a happy new year.

A Cheann Comhairle, is cosúil nach féidir pointe ordaithe a thógáil maidir le cúrsaí idirnáisiúnta.

It appears that under Standing Order 24 — “Matters of the Day” — Members are not allowed to raise inter­national issues. Given many Members’ deep interest in events in Gaza, and given the desire to have a focus and a discussion on the matter, will the Cheann Comhairle investigate a means by which procedures could be changed to allow such issues to be discussed in the Chamber? Go raibh maith agat, a Cheann Comhairle.

William Hay (Speaker): I understand what the Member is saying. I am happy to refer the issue to the Committee on Procedures.

Martina Anderson (Sinn Féin)
Further to that point of order, a Cheann Comhairle, when you are considering that issue, it should also be noted that plants in the North are engaged in making the guided-missile systems that are being used in Gaza.
I think it commendable that British industry is bringing back to this country much-needed currency by the export of weapons to the feuding fellahin of the Middle East. I just wish that Provisional Sinn Fein would declare it in their tax returns.

Whiskybreath said:
I think it commendable that British industry is bringing back to this country much-needed currency by the export of weapons to the feuding fellahin of the Middle East. I just wish that Provisional Sinn Fein would declare it in their tax returns.

Eh?

Isn't she referring to Shorts Missile Systems? Are SF shareholders?

Whiskybreath said:
You're a hard man to please, OT.
I'd be ecstatic if you'd tell me what you're on about.

Onetap said:
Whiskybreath said:

Eh?

Isn't she referring to Shorts Missile Systems? Are SF shareholders?
Raytheon in the ahem North West of the Province.
Thales (the former Shorts Missile Systems) products would be of limited value to the IDF since the Palestinian Air Force isn't very big.

CutLunchCommando said:
Thales (the former Shorts Missile Systems) products would be of limited value to the IDF since the Palestinian Air Force isn't very big.
No it isn't. Bloody effective, those missiles.

I didn't know there were two missile makers in the north; kosher ones anyway.

Latest Threads