Explosives question

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by biscuits, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,
    We're having an argument...

Will a claymore mine be enhanced by detonating it into a 44 gallon drum of diesel? Ie, will it ignite the diesel & create a nice big flamethrower, or will it just fcuk up the claymore?

Any answers greatly appreciated, and I'll post this in the Loggies forum too, in case any of them have tried it.

Cheers! :)
  2. Which ever is the case, it is probably against the Geneva Convention.

3. Depends how far the claymore is from the drum of diesel.

Within about 2m i would say yes. Anymore than that not likely.

Could always mix some soap flakes in it and cook up a nice bit of napalm!
  4. Does it not depend if the diesel is under pressure?
  5. Pressure increases combustibility (Sp?).

Dont think it'd work, but proximity is an issue too.

What a waste of time though.

The acetone suggestion from the loggies is prob much better.

6. Diesel has a flashpoint of greater than 62°C (143°F) but it would depend on the nature of the detonation conditions which are dependant on the nature of the fuel.

It would be impossible to forecast if it will be a detonation or a deflagration if you don't specify what grade of diesel fuel are you are using.

Detonation processes are very influentiated on how are they initiated. In your example, there must be certain detonation conditions during the chemical reaction of the explosion including the heat transfer properties of the fuel drum .

The main differences between a deflagrative and a detonative wave are:

A detonative wave travels at supersonic velocity. In fact it is a reactive shock wave.

A deflagrative wave travels at subsonic velocity. Deflagrative waves causes a decreasing of pressure behind it as they expand the gases. These waves can be seen at explosions in buildings for example.

I hope this has cleared things up for you?
  7. I have read accounts where in Vietnam the US used 55gal oil drums with a claymore for base defence may be worth doing a google
  8. Thanks lads.

We were looking for innovative suggestions on how to defend the site we are on at the mo with just a section, and inf section scalings. The drums are near the perimeter, and one of the suggestions was to utilise them with the claymore to give a bigger bang. Ignoring the obvious LOAC violation, it became a discussion that required outside help to end, which you have provided.

I tried googling it, but I probably wasn't asking the right questions.

Thanks again!
  9. I think you'll make the claymore less effective, as the BBs will be rendered useless as they all pile into the drum.

Or do you mean detonating one inside the drum? Either way I don't think it'd help. Except maybe make a big explosion, or you'll end up cleaning diesel up with spillsorb for days. Will pass the time :)
  10. Now there is a novel approach. Sticky white hot BB's are bound to do some serious damage, especially with a washing powder/sugar mix. :twisted:
  11. Unless you are using GW in which case it is acceptable.
  12. Give it a test.
  13. Perhaps you should have another look at whatever text books you were reading......... :roll:
  14. Rather than a Claymore, you could mount a beehive charge on to the side of the oil drum. Ideally the drum would be raised off the ground, in a horizontal position with the charge secured to the side at a right-angle, angled in the direction of threat. This should cause a flame-thrower effect but over a much wider arc; in addition the copper slug would also cause a fair bit of damage if it was lucky enough to hit whatever you were aiming at. Remember though that flame-throwers are against LOAC.
  15. Strewth......pasty boy ..dont want to meet you in the dark