Explosives charge soldiers guilty

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Oct 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How the hell does a lance jack get £80,000 in debt???
  2. Probably a car from "cars direct" about £10,000 worth there, wouldnt be hard to get about 4 or 5 credit cards with £5000 to £8000 on and max them out, couple of £20,000 loans and he would be about there.
  3. He didn't.

Soldier X, a 37-year-old Colour Sgt...

Soldier X admitted he was £80,000 in debt ...

Pension? What pension?
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

And whilst these scroats were up before the beak, the rest of the Battalion was coming back from HERRICK.

Rather takes the edge off the homecoming celebrations.
  5. A banned 7.62mm round?

Edited for reading and then forgetting. :oops:
  6. So where does it mention HE?
  7. msr

msr LE

Cross-border police investigators were led to Howe Barracks after military explosives were found concealed in a suitcase during a drugs raid at the Glasgow flat of Andrew Quinn (previously known as soldier A), a former serviceman with the 5 Scots

It does help if you read the article.
  8. Devilish, I thought that too. No mention of any in his locker though.
  9. So the haul was one buckshee 7.62mm ball round, and the rest was various types of pyro and blank? No actual HE?

From the list given, the only item that actually appears to be illegal in civvie street (as opposed to squaddie being in breach of a range declaration, and other military law offences, etc) would be the one 7.62mm round. All of the others mentioned can be legally bought and owned without licence.

Still naughty, but seems very over-exaggerated, as usual. Does anyone have any further detail?
  10. what about the detonators?
  11. Soldier Y said he kept the ammunition as a lucky charm so he "didn't get shot" while on duty.

Do you reckon he took Baldricks advice and engraved his name on the 7.62mm Ball?!
  12. I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure detonators are not controlled items: consider the rail safety blast caps that railway workers use, or primers used in reloading cased ammunition, or quarry dets, or even humble firework bangers - they are more or less the same sort of device, and I'm not aware that legislation exists that seeks to differentiate them (ammo reloaders now have to show an FAC to buy primers - no controls on ownership or use - but thats a recent and specific knee-jerk legislation).
  13. I did read the article and yes the press mention military explosives but then fail to actually list any military explosives.