Explosive reached Ireland after failed airport security test

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Irish_Army01, Jan 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quantity of explosive, found in a flat on Dorset Street in Dublin this morning, was brought into the country following a failed security operation in Slovakia.

It is understood the explosive was one of eight pieces of contraband planted by the authorities in the luggage of unsuspecting passengers at Bratislava Airport in Slovakia last weekend as part of a test of security procedures.

Seven were detected by airport security, but the eighth - 90g of research development explosive or RDX - was put in the luggage of a Slovakian electrician who lives and works in Dublin.

AdvertisementThe 49-year-old unwittingly brought the material to Dublin when he returned from Christmas holidays.

Gardaí were eventually alerted this morning following a call from police in Bratislava and the flat on Dorset Street was sealed off.

During the operation, the adjoining homes and businesses were evacuated as the Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit removed the explosive for further analysis.

Both Gardiner Street and Lower Dorset street were closed off for about an hour.

The Slovakian man was arrested at the scene, but gardaí are now satisfied that he is innocent and he was released from custody this afternoon. He will not face charges.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said the Slovakian Minister for the Interior has conveyed his Government's profound regret for this incident to the Justice Minister Dermot Ahern

Minister Ahern said he was very concerned about the fact that the gardaí were not alerted for three days and has asked for a full report.

A Chief Superintendent has been appointed to investigate the incident.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0105/dorset.html

2. My P45? Thank you.

3. Nothing new about not finding the package is there? Your lot have a very good record of not finding stuff!

4. What the hell are you talking about? To my knowledge no one that has posted is Slovakian.

5. You need to check your history! An awful lot of the wrong sort of stuff used to "slip" through their customs undetected!

6. If you read the post correctly you have concluded the package came from SLOVAKIA and not Ireland.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I AM aware that the package came from Slovakia,it used to be part of tCzechoslovakia,and, in the good old days P.I.R.A.,via Libya got quite a lot of stuff from them. Funny how the customs couldn't find that stuff,nothings changed much? Has it?

8. Bit harsh CM.

We've not exactly been little angles over the years

9. If your insinuating that Irish Customs Colluded with the IRA then your seriously deluded.

Yes Stuff got through but a lot was found and deposed of by EOD.

In fairness the blame here lies with the Slovakian Authorities, Not the Irish. Not every passenger going into a terminal after getting off a plane is subject to a search either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I know someone who went through the "I have no live rounds...." on Salisbury Plain
    Bergan and webbing went to South Cerney and Brize to Iraq
    Got to Iraq and pulled out a mag of blank ammo from their ammo pouch

11. Or Saxons, or Jutes, bloody Vikings!

My coat? How kind...

12. I didnot insinuate that they colluded,I simply said they "couldn't find it!" Yes,quite a lot of it was disposed of by E.O.D.,a substantial amount by by the E.O.D. personel from another jurisdiction. Yes the blame for this incident does lie initially with the Slovakian Authorities,however your own Authorities must also take some of the responsibily in light of the recent occurence in the U.S.A.,of which no doubt they were aware.And yes, I have had personal experience of coming through Dublin airport