Explosion in Oxford flats

A block of flats in SW Oxford was destroyed by an explosion yesterday afternoon , several people are still unaccounted for .
A gas explosion has been ruled out and it " is not thought to be terror related " .
If it's neither of the above , what other causes will the fire investigation team be looking for ?
Remember this is CA .

Oxford flats blast: People unaccounted for

Cooking drugs. There is a drug currently fashionable (whose name escapes my flu riddled head atm) that requires quite a volatile cooking process IIRC.

Cooking drugs. There is a drug currently fashionable (whose name escapes my flu riddled head atm) that requires quite a volatile cooking process IIRC.
Meth

I would imagine that some precious snowflake liberal lefty student had their safespace intruded upon by a glimpse of reality and they spontaneously combusted, the collateral damage taking out the surrounding flats.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think the fire hazard is true of all illicit amphetamines. I recall a Dale Brown book, possibly The Tin Man, that went into some detail.

Yes, I'm right, no I'm wrong. It is The Tin Man, but it's methamphetamine.

But cooking meth absolutely reeks doesn't it? Making it an unsuitable illegal activity for built up areas, apparently it needs enormous stretches of isolated Great F*ck All. Which is why it is more prevalent in US and Canada.
So the more prosaic gas explosion then?

D

Deleted 20555

But cooking meth absolutely reeks doesn't it? Making it an unsuitable illegal activity for built up areas, apparently it needs enormous stretches of isolated Great F*ck All. Which is why it is more prevalent in US and Canada.
So the more prosaic gas explosion then?
Difficult - apparently the block wasn't connected to the gas mains according to reports.

A pretty common one is hash oil. It's made by using butane as a solvent to extract the gubbins from marijuana. The butane is allowed to boil off into the air as it comes out with the hash oil. If it builds up to just the right proportion, with the least spark or open flame it will explode and burn. The explosions can be quite powerful. The process is apparently relatively easy to do on a small scale so there are a fair number of clueless people giving it a go and blowing themselves up.

We had a property to clean up following a fire (ok not an explosion)
The tenant doesn't know how the remains of the fire include a massive quantity of hydroponics kit that was under the remains of the roof but above everything else and, in a very weird coincidence, happened to be the seat of the fire...

we've had some near misses with damaged portable gas heaters and bottled gases and one of our QHSE guys has a great tale about a living room full of illegally imported fireworks from when he worked with a previous company.

A pretty common one is hash oil. It's made by using butane as a solvent to extract the gubbins from marijuana. The butane is allowed to boil off into the air as it comes out with the hash oil. If it builds up to just the right proportion, with the least spark or open flame it will explode and burn. The explosions can be quite powerful. The process is apparently relatively easy to do on a small scale so there are a fair number of clueless people giving it a go and blowing themselves up.
That's the one I was trying to think of.
Ta :)
Not helped with them often having many butane canisters in close proximity to the process too.

It was right by the boatyard so maybe gas canisters. It would have yo be a hell of a lot though and inside I suppose to do that.
Funny stuff does happen in Oxford all the time. A woman died a few weeks ago and the road was cordoned off. Turns out it was something to do with cyanide.

It was right by the boatyard so maybe gas canisters. It would have yo be a hell of a lot though and inside I suppose to do that.
Funny stuff does happen in Oxford all the time. A woman died a few weeks ago and the road was cordoned off. Turns out it was something to do with cyanide.
Same as Midsummer,always murders etc going on.

Some people were very lucky not to have been killed:

The photo is a fake - it's from a story following up a gas explosion in Wolverhampton In December 2015: Gas explosion in Wolverhampton

Some local ne'er do wells robbed the house next door to one destroyed in the blast, prompting the story, and the photo is from the damaged house which had been burgled.

There is a suggestion that gas canisters of some sort were involved in the Oxford incident, but that could well have been an assumption from a neighbour because of the presence of Calor containers, etc at the marina which the flats overlook. Overlooked....