Explosion at Liverpool St Station

Mr Happy

LE
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1188265,00.html

EXPLOSION AT LIVERPOOL STREET STATION

There has been an explosion at London's Liverpool Street Station, according to reports.

It is understood the blast was caused by two trains colliding on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate, a power cut or a power cable exploding.

A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "We have just sent some resources out to the scene."

British Transport Police confirmed that there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Stratford and Aldgate stations have also been cleared.

I bloody just missed that!!!!! only cos I come in early today for the first time in years!!!! eek

From Sky

BLAST AT CITY TUBE STATION

There has been an explosion at Aldgate East underground station in London, causing the closure of the entire Tube network.

There are also reports that a second incident took place at Edgware Road station in north west London.

The Aldgate East blast was caused by "some kind of power surge", according to Tube infrastructure company Metronet, which is responsible for maintaining the Metropolitan line.

British Transport Police confirmed there are "walking wounded" and said paramedics have responded to one report of a person classed as "life at risk".

"It's chaos, with people trying to work out what has happened," said a spokesman.

"All we know at the moment is that staff reported a loud bang at 8.49am. No one is sure what caused an explosion, but it is thought it could have been a collision, a power cut, or a power cable problem."

One witness said the packed underground train he was on was 200 metres from Kings Cross when there was a huge flash.

The train stopped and people were using umberellas to smash windows of the trains. Passengers were led out of the train by underground staff.

He added people were milling around Kings Cross covered in soot.

Clare Benson, 33, a city banker from Kensington, was on a tube at Edware Road where the second incident took place.

"I was in the last carriage at the back of the train nearest the tunnel when I heard a huge bang - you could feel it," she said.

"The lights went off for a couple of minutes and people were scared and wondering what to do.

"The drivers got out and were looking into the tunnel, then they announced that we should evacuate. My ears are still ringing and I was shaking."
Frankly, I'm amazed this hasnt happened sooner given the appalling state of maintenance etc

Thank fook I was at my desk early this morning

And we claim to have a transport system capable of coping with the Olympics in 2012 .............. :?

Just watching Sky News on tv - multiple cas being treated outside the station, and witnesses describing a hole in the side of one train. One witness also suggesting an additional explosion incident on a bus in Russell Square. Police spokemen now referring to 'incidents' on the Underground.

National Grid reporting on Sky that there were no anomalies in their systems that might have caused a power surge. Police implementing cordons and evacuating system.

I took a days' annual leave today to do some DIY. Phew.

V!

Incidents seems to be the correct word. Interesting to see how this turns out. G8 starts today remember!

Vegetius said:
Bob Crow has already been on Sky banging on about privatisation. Very tasteful, Bob. Nice one.

V!
He is a complete and utter cnut......but then we all knew that

Mr Happy

LE
BASTS ON TUBES AND BUS

According to reports a bus has exploded in central London just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.

"I saw lots of people running up a road and then saw the top of a bus destroyed," one eyewitness told Sky News.

Sky News producer Bob Mills said he heard the loud explosion near Euston Station.
This will be our Madrid then..... Or something similar. I can't understand why anyone thinks that multiple explosions on the tube network can be power surges. Can anyone name an time or place that a tube/car/house has received explosions from power surges?

Re nat grid I think LU has its own power system seperate from the grid.

Mr Happy said:
BASTS ON TUBES AND BUS

According to reports a bus has exploded in central London just minutes after a number of blasts on London's Underground.

"I saw lots of people running up a road and then saw the top of a bus destroyed," one eyewitness told Sky News.

Sky News producer Bob Mills said he heard the loud explosion near Euston Station.
This will be our Madrid then..... Or something similar. I can't understand why anyone thinks that multiple explosions on the tube network can be power surges. Can anyone name an time or place that a tube/car/house has received explosions from power surges?

Re nat grid I think LU has its own power system seperate from the grid.
Exactly, I'm glad someone agees with me, have just had a big row with the whole of the office trying to say the self same thing.

Whats the bloody point.

I hope the bombers burn in whatever hell their beliefs allow

Plastic Yank said:
Ozgerbobble said:
They're also evacuating a lot of the Banks around here now
where? The City? we in Canary Wharf are not moving!
In City near Liverpool Street (DB, UBS out) and others nearby and Tower 42 etc

They're encouraging people in the offices around the stations to evacuate beyond the police cordons