Expert volunteer wants to help at Headley Court. Info please

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Victorian_Major, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend and close working colleague (ex-RM) has a girlfriend who has a background in psychotherapy and significant experience in the issues surrounding adaptation to prosthetic limbs, etc.

She's now keen to explore the possibility of assisting pro bono at Headley Court (she lives nearby) and I'd be grateful if I could pass on the number of someone who could discuss what she has to offer and how Headley Court might use her.

Could someone please PM me with a suitable contact?

Much appreciated.

V_M

2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I suspect you'll find they have more than enough help already. Point to note, I've fielded quite a few calls from people wanting to offer their services - from hypnosis to rebirthing to bile chanting (ok, made the last one up) - and some of them have been quite indignant about it when turned down. Problem is, a lot of these 'experts' are no worse than ambulance chasers with a morbid curiosity of those wounded in wars, etc and far from being as altruistic as they claim, simply need a fix of their own. Richard Dawkins expands on this theme quite nicely in one of his books.

Anyway, I'm sure your friend doesn't fall into any of those categories but whenever anybody rings up to offer their services, that's generally how they're viewed. Somehow, I don't think she's going to have much luck.

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Headley Court is often in the news, and seems to have the same sort of attraction for 'therapists' as Selly Oak appears to have for some senior officers' wives, who think their husbands' rank makes them expert social workers. They seem to forget that there are lots of other places where military patients are treated.

I wonder if BLESMA might be able to utilise your friend's girlfriend's skills.

4. What a strange phenomenon. Good to hear that HC is in a position to be selective.

I'm not unfamiliar with the syndrome of the one-star wife who becomes a five-star pain by magically migrating from Norland Nanny to expert (yet somehow frighteningly inept) social worker with the same speed as her husband's promotion... :roll:

As I say, this contact of mine is local (Weybridge IIRC) so perhaps that's why she has gravitated to HC but I'll certainly pass on the BLESMA idea.

I'd still be grateful for a phone number so that it's HC putting her right - or alternatively discovering that she might have somehing to offer.

5. If you live near to HC then I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to go and see them. If the person was to take their CV with them it would probably be a sensible thing to do.

6. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Sorry to dig this topic out of the dirt, but I have a similar enquiry..

A friend of mine is applying to study medicine at university, to begin his study next September after taking a gap year. He was wondering if there is any possibility of getting some work experience at Headley Court?

Transport wouldn't be an issue.

If I could have a contact number for someone at HC I'd be very grateful,

Thanks,

TRSL

7. I've just typed Headley Court contact numbers into Google, and unfortunately couldn't find anything for you. I did find this though. The huge amount of public support at the hearing was Arrse members. How top is that?

8. Headley Court advertise for staff in the medical journals.
    That is the way to go about it, the same as any other NHS vacancy.

Trying to get in through the back door, by knowing someone or by getting a phone number will be viewed with suspiscion.

Go about it the proper way & you might have a chance.

I know a few people in authority who are employed there, but I wouldn't pester them with these pathetic requests!

9. Not a pathetic request. The spirit of the original enquiry was to see if this person could be of service, pro bono given a background that may have been of use. If not, no problem.

Nor would I bother you. In the space of reading your one post I am making a similar sweeping assumption to the one you would appear to have arrived at: you sound like a twat.

10. I feel sorry for those in authority there. not because they have to beg for the resources etc to do their work but because they know you! Somebody who allegedly is good at what they do is offering to do it pro bonon (free!). It's a bit like putting money in the box and wearing a wristband but force-multiplying! C0ck.

11. Agreed. pm me and I'll point you in the right direction.

12. Settling into the new job then mate!!

13. I contacted HC a couple of years ago to see if I could be of any use as a visitor having experienced and recovered from similar trauma. I got a very indignant reply. I guess that they didn't need some old crusty twot giving younger guys advice as they now have plenty of guys same age who have recovered and returned to service.

I stick to being a BLESMA welfare rep where I deal with [mostly] old crusty twots like me or older :oops:

14. Yeah pretty much! Must catch up soon!