Experiences of working on Ops with TA Inf?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Foitin_Irish, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Over the last year i decided to sort my life out and nuckle down into getting a career, for various reasons i chose not to go down the road of a military career but as corny and cliché as it sounds i'd like to still "do my bit"
    I have the up most respect for you lads and the job you do, i lost a mate in 'Ghan and have this strange thought of "why him and not me?"
    So i want to join a local infantry TA unit, can any of you good gents please give me some feed back on any experiences you have woth working with TA Infanteers? good, bad and badges that you remember especially?

Sorry for the long windedness, any positive feedback will be gratefully recieved and shyt* will be ignored.

Thanks in Advance
  2. we had a few attached to us on telic

ranged from v good soldiers to absolute mongs
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

As found in any regular Battalion / Regiment
  4. your experience sounds just like mine of the regular army !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Boy's do the best they can.....dont think they claim to be any more than they are..but not bad all the same..

Join them..i did from the Sappers and never looked back..but remember depends what you want from Op's or the service!

a lot more gettin fucked, about then the support arms, but the jobs much better.

6. i would say the mongs outweigh the good soldiers though
  7. Think that depends on the unit.....and Yes we have a few Mongs too :oops:
    But the process of removal goes on :wink:

Too much of the numbers game keeping dross on the books to keep the unit looking healthy.....Next thing you know your muppets have gone on OP's and a regular battalion is left thinking your all like that....Oh Well 8O
  8. good and bad in every bunch
  9. see next post
  10. With the amount of experience gained in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo & the stan I'd guess their standards are pretty high.

2 Wessex & 10 Para were particularly good when I found myself 'dicked' to train them some years ago. I attributed this to the quality of their DS from 1DERR & Para Regt :)
  11. Cheers lads for the heads up. I feel the general consensus is that it's an idividual basis , you get good and bad in any walk of life and job. The fact a lot of guys go on on Ops can only increase the quality of TA Units.

Again thanks for the info and stay safe to anyone going to/ are in someplace hot and sandy!!
  12. That's my experience too mate. Although there'll be no support for you here, these forums are full of stab ruperts.
  13. There also a number of Reg units were the mongs outweigh the god blokes.

Go to your local unit and meet the poeple there. With your experiance you will be able to tell if they are all shoppers during your training. You can then leave or transfer if you don't get on.

Just remember that they aren't full time, even if they were before, so some things will be different.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That will be a long time ago, DERR, crikey that takes me back! :D
  15. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

The key for ops is to get them on the Reg Unit PDT - assuming that the individual is not a complete clot, he'll probably get up to an acceptable standard.

My experience is that TA guys will achieve the standard required, are sometimes very good, are well motivated so long as they are included rather than derided, but most important, are generally excellent at something (whether this is their civvy speciality, or something else - fork lift, comms, looking after farm stock (a farm hand in this case, and bloody useful abroad)).

The key is to get to know them, understand thier skills (good and bad) and use them effectively, just like with regular soldiers, except these are a little more diverse...