Experienced IT Professional > Army Sys Eng Tech

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by ITMatt, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have my application in with the Army for Systems Engineer Tech (or Comm Sys Eng). Passed the BARB (87), Med forms and now just awaiting a date for a formal interview. Once I've passed that, I think it's ADSC next.

My questions comes in regards to how I will be treated during basic, in trade training, and ultimately in the unit, as I am now 22 years old working as a Desktop/Systems Engineer - I've been working in the IT banking sector since leaving school. I have an Advanced Apprenticeship in IT, Advanced Diploma for IT Practitioners, CompTIA A+/Network+ and the MCSE certification.

With this type of experience and qualifications, would I be entrusted with more responsibility during these periods, particularly in the final units?

Would I be treated differently in basic and phase 2 training?

Being older, with good solid experience behind me, is it more "likely" that I'll be promoted sooner, compared to the average time it takes?

Finally, can someone tell me why Sys Eng Tech trade training is 41 weeks long, and IS Eng is only 24 weeks long - My experience in civi street is that techs require less knowledge than System Admins/Engineers to do there job, for which their pay reflects this i.e. doesn't the ranking go Help desk > Technician > Sys/Network Admin/Engineer?

2. Look mate if you think you are too fcuking clever then why join ?
  3. What on earth? Where did I say that?

I have 5-6 years more experience working in IT compared to the "average" 16/17 year old recruit. I was wondering if this would stand me in better sted for taking on more responsibility once through phase 2 training. Yes, I expect to be doing menial jobs, but it'd be nice if I could also use some of that experience, too.

What the hell is wrong with that?
  4. Cow

Cow LE

Stay in Civi Street, you'll be liked more there. It's not the Army, that's why it's different to the experience you have so far.
  5. I understand what you mean, but civi street lacks so much that the Army offers - travel, unique experiences, active lifestyle, sports and the chance to work on equipment not available in civi street.
  6. Not forgetting the chance to experience death in various spectacular and often not so spectacular ways!
  7. msr

msr LE

Don't know about yours, but the civi street I inhabit offers me all of the above, apart from the obsolete technology the army still insists on using, all with the added bonus of being able to run my life how I want to.

8. Cow

Cow LE

[quote="msr]Don't know about yours, but the civi street I inhabit offers me all of the above, apart from the obsolete technology the army still insists on using, all with the added bonus of being able to run my life how I want to.[/quote]

Along with overtime and the working time directive! In is good but out has its good bits too.
  9. I joined aged 21 many moons ago, i was 3rd oldest in my recruit troop and had by that age been round the world a couple of times and lived abroad already, it counted for jack all and neither did i expect it too, in basic your just a number mate and your instructors couldnt give a toss if your an ex brain surgeon, your new mukas might think your a bit older and wiser but then they might have been up to lots of interesting stuff too before they joined and its only a couple of years which means nowt when your getting nearer forty, and whilst im at it i was best recruit aswell and got a nice book from a Big cheese at the passing out parade (which was nice) trumpet blown, im off now.
  10. Some mixed thoughts on the pros and cons of joining.

Those are good reasons for wanting to leave my secure civi IT job, for a career in the Army, aren't they?

P.S. I wasn't expecting any privileges, or anything like that, it's more along the lines of avoiding help desk functions as much as possible, it's like a death sentence.
  11. The army will tell you if your clever enough or not

It does not matter what you bring from outside other than a listen and learning attitude. if you bring anything else upon your head it be (you have been informed)

If for example your bringing the attitude you have displayed in the initial post you will not do will or go far.
  12. Your only young mate and if you dont join now you will regret it and look back in years to come and thought i should have given it a go. Even if you think its utter pants you can just do the minimum and get out. Your IT skills wont suffer that much if you dont stick it, your job now isnt secure either nobodys bar gold plated retiring sick at 50 gobment jobs are. you have many years ahead of you yet and three years deciding wether you like the army or not is not gonna change too much but would be a wonderfull oportunatiy missed if you like it.
  13. ITMatt,

Sorry I missed your earlier LIAG post, I would have mentioned LCISG.

I'm TA and my experience of Sigs is (today):

Having a high conversation about a mil ICS problem, discussing UDP vrs TCP or maybe using an OTS solution and then putting uniform on and cleaning weapons (first bit civvie job)
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I don't know why all these cnuts are giving you such a hard time - you want to join up - fair play mate.
    Its always better to show what you can do rather than say what you can do - saves getting tripped up.
    The army will want to get the most it can out of you, in time you will figure out when its best to put up or shut up. If you wind someone up (see above) by coming across as a gobby cnut, you will find yourself translating the works of Shakespear into hex....

Enjoy! :wink:
  15. No

and I don't think your idea of tech is the same as the Royal Signals. Check out their job descriptions its not all about the white boxes. Anyway they are combining the two trades so dunna worry about it.

Although the numptys that decide such things in the corp will probably change their mind next year and split them again. Their gonna run out of stupid names to call them soon.

since Ive been in they hav had Radio Techs, System Techs, Sys Eng Techs, IS operators, IS engineers and now Comms Sys Eng same people generally just different names depending on the current manning crisis the Corp have created.