Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by red1, Feb 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning,

I have been reading this section with interest and its a great source of information. Maybe someone could possibly answer something for me.

It is my aim in the future to gain employment in areas in which i am acutely aware that service within the Int Coprs would greatly increase my chances of succeeding.

My question therefore is, do a fair few people enter the Int Corps with the intention of NOT serving a full career from the start? Is this accepted fairly well without hindering your progress or would it be frowned upon? I am aware that obviously from the Corps point of view, it wouldnt't be looked upon as ideal(given the time spent on training somone), however is it looked upon as still a wothwhile recruitment for them in the short(ish) term(if of course the individual was a good asset)?

Would the T.A opiton be a better avenue?

For the record, if i were to make the decision to join full time(depending of course if i were to pass through all the selection), it would not just purely be about better equipping myself for my own aims, i would certainly be committed to doing the best job i could and would be proud to do so during that time. I am aware that the Army is not an organistation there to soley provide me with experience and qualifications for my own uses and that there is an extremely important job to be done.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. If you're looking at careers which involve London riverside buildings the Corps is not necessarily the ideal place. Far better to join a part of the army that suits you rather than as you say looking to the future and merely "using" the experience for lack of a better phrase.
  3. I am sure that some people do join with the intent of doing the minimum service, but I wouldn't go to interviews telling people that from the start if I were you. Doesn't give the right impression, know what I mean?

When you finish training, you will need to serve a minimum of three years, and then you have the otion of either re-engaging (renewing your contract), or you can hand in your 12 months notice, so all in it is a minimum of 4 years service after completion of phase 2.

If you were to apply, there is nothing stopping you saying that you plan to see a full term of service, but then popping smoke as soon as you can. Like I say though, I doubt you wouldn't be looked upon as favourably if you were to make it clear that is your intention.

You never know, after the three years you may even want to stay in!
  4. Thanks for those replies!

I honsestly do think that regardless of the 'experience' side of things, that the Intel Corps would be the role i would be interested in anyway. I am currently serving in the RMR (end of phase 1) and although i love much of it, i dont think its something i would want to do full time as after the novelty of the 'commando' type soldiering wore off, mentally and academically i feel i would certainly want more of a challenge.Being pinged for an SQ i wouldnt want to do, as so often happens in the RM, is something i would not be willing to risk. At my age (27) the next move i make, really needs to be the right one. Therefore from what i can gather the Intel Corps would likely offer me the chance to combine the soldiering side of things, and also the more academic/mental side of things.

Young Lofty,

As you say, i would not ever mention that it wasnt my intention to stay for a career period, and again as you mentioned, my thoughts may well change once in and doing the job. Of course, as a civilian, i can only at present be naive in my understanding of 'intelligence' work as watching the bourne supremacy and 24 i am sure is not the best way to base your judgement on what it involves. But i know it is something i am very interested in. Obviously my best option is to visit the AFCO (hide from the Navy recruiters) and get as much info as possible.

As mentioned above, given my age, its a must that my next move is either going to be my career or at least largley contribute to moving into one in the future.

Thanks again for the replies,
  5. Why don't you apply now for the job that you want in the future? They can only say no and if that happens, carry on with the Corps route.
    Seems a bit of a gamble joining up to do that, it's unlikely that an organisation would offer you a job considering that they'd have to wait 12 months before you could start.
    If you sign off and apply towards the end of your 12 months, they can easily say no and you'd either be looking for new employment or your career would be pretty messed up if you stay in.
  6. I have to agree.

You will stand a better chance applying directly, than joining the Int Corps first.
  7. if you could be a little less cagey about your long-term aspirations, you might find the advice you elicit more useful.

don't worry if it's something you think sounds a bit silly. we've heard it all before. ;)
  8. Well......

For London Riverside slots: South of the river, a better idea to do a short service commission and then have a pop. North of the river, get a poor 2:2 from a former polytechnic and fail the Civil Service Fast Track ;) (note - joke). For country slots, a relevant degree is far more useful than military service. Generally, none of the national agencies will give any particular preference to ex-Int Corps people unless they have very specific skills and experience. Certainly, for all three, being a graduate is more or less a prequalification for entry into a proper career, rather than a job.

For the wider security and risk industry, arguably better to do longer than a few years in order to get the relevant experience and possibly qualifications and/or professional memberships. It depends what floats your boat.

If you're interested in commercial intelligence work, you definitely need some form and for the good jobs, probably national agency form.

Most of the ex-Corps people I know who're doing well in Corps-related jobs post-service did a full career. There are honourable exceptions, of course there are, but the bulk did at least 22 years.

Incidentally, don't dismiss the SQ route - the Corps of Royal Marines has some truly interesting little backwaters and the barrier to entry you're in the process of negotiating.

As a last note, please, please, please note that Intel make processors and the Brits refer to "Int".
  9. Thanks very much for all the replies, they are exactly what i was looking for and have offered me alot to think about. Its very much appreciated.

I'll explain my situation a little more. I gained a 2:1 degree in 'joint' History and Sports Education at University and have since been applying for various national agencies/organisations whilst having started Recruit training with the RMR previously. On all occasions i have passed an intitial application sift (various competency based questions, experience, relevent skills, personal attributes and so forth) and on most occasions have passed the 2nd phase of 'testing' stages(verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, role related exams) but as yet have not made the final selection phases which involve an interview and final assesment centre, which for me is where i believe i would excell as i am very confident i could perform in that scenraio and really show what i was about so to speak.

Essentially, though worded differently, all of the unsuccessful applications have ended with 'due to the high demand for this role at present we regret to inform you that we will not be processing your application further, should you still be interested in this role we would welcome applications from you in the future'.

So, basically what i am wishing to do is add something significant to my application that will push it on that much more if i did again apply in the future and get me to the final stage or move into a career elsewhere(the Int Corps being of great interest to me).

Of course i am aware that it may not be a lack of experience on my part that is resulting in my not progressing to the final stage, however as i have said i have passed the application sift and 'testing' stages and therefore something after this is stopping my progress, and my suspicion is that it may be that other applicants may have had more relevent experience or that in general their applications are more 'weighty'. Again i am looking to do something that may counter that by improving my own application.

As i say, the Int Corps really does appeal to me above and beyond looking at it just for the 'experience', if it is what it appears to be then i could very much see myself attracted to it as a full career. As i say my experience of the RMR and having had a fair few friends in the Regs has left me not considering the RM as a 'career' option. I'll get myself to the AFCO and have a really good look at it all, thats if of course there is much info available with regards to the 'actual' job you do within the Int Corps, i accept by virtue of its nature you may not really get much of an understanding prior to actualy joining.

thanks again for your views.
  10. have you asked them for more detailed feedback on where you are weak? they might just say "go and learn pashto or dari".
  11. I have tried but have been met with a cross between 'unfortunately we do not give feedback as it is our policy not to give reasons for our recruitment decisions' and when ive got a bit further elsewhere 'unable to be specific, we can however say that it may not be your particular performance having been of a low standard but that during this campaigne others have performed better, this does not mean you may be unsuitable for the role or that you are not capable to the job and therefore should not discourage you from applying to subsequent future campaignes'

I would idealy wait and give them all an other crack however they all have time periods that must elapse before you can try again, timeframes that i am not willing to sit around in and do relatively little with my life. The more i think about it, the more i think maybe its run its course, and that i should make a concerted effort elsewhere.

The Int Corps appeals to me more and more, and not as a second option to the above, but as possibly the better choice given that i have very much enjoyed RMR training and would like to continue in the 'soldiering' capacity, alongside something a bit more academic. The other option i guess is looking for roles within the Intelligence/Civilian defense communites which are not so over subsribed and in which entry may be a little easiar, alongside staying in the RMR, but to be honest i dont envisage balancing a high commitment civilian job with a high commitment Reserve unit being very achievable. And why do that when the Int Corps could provide both sides in one??

Its not a decision im going to take lightly so i wll take time to cover all the angles and make the right decision.
  12. Hi there Red1,
    Just wondering what sort of jobs you have been applying for that result in those rejections. There probably is a high demand for any graduate level job resulting in rejections all over the place. I think you just have to be persistent with those sorts of things and keep at it, apply to lots of things.

I'm wondering myself if high demand for roles in the Army doesn't lead to such responses, i.e is there a quota on OPMIs starting each year? (I don't know the answer to this).

Anyway, good luck with it!
  13. Its Fecking INT Corps, not Intel, Fecking feck feck feckidy feck!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
    Rant Over
  14. Took you long enough didn't it? I just beat my children to deal with my rage. I can recommend it! My wife then beats me - nice! :wink:
  15. Personally i preffered 'glad its all overs' way of letting me know my mistake, not that i object to being shouted at, its just his was funny. :wink:

Incoming..... :D

But it has been noted and i shall no longer make reference to the possibility of their being a Corps devoted to processors. :oops: