Expensive kit now used for very dull purposes.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by EX_STAB, Mar 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remember that gucci bit of kit that you just HAD to have, no matter how blindingly expensive it was?
    The one that now gets used for some very mundane purpose?

For starters:
    Geologist's hammer purchased at considerable expense in anticipation of a glittering career as a paleaontologist.

[​IMG]

Now used for breaking up coal in the coal shed..... :roll:

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

My PDA. I don't even know where it is anymore, and I don't really care. Windows Mobile is utter tosh, and the whole system is now inoperable. Waste of £300 quid!

3. Hifi
    Got a cupboard with 6 turntables, 3 preamps, 2 power amps, 8 pairs of speakers, 2 subs, a couple of tape decks, and about 17 miles of wire. Worked it out once and theres about 3 grands of stuff im not using. To go with the 4 or 5 grands worth of stuff I am using, and I keep looking for more, Its an addiction. Just found some speaker connectors that a friend at a satellite coms company milled out of 99.99%silver for me, and Ive not used them for about 10 years

4. got a top notch clothes horse that was originally bought under the illusion I was going on Op massive.......Apparently its multi -gym, under all her cloths hangers.

5. I've got a house full of it.

I have a £170 HP photosmart printer that can scan, copy, print photos etc. The Mrs talked me into it. I wanted a simple B+W printer that cost £30. "But we can buy photo paper and print all our photos!" she said. "It will save us money at the photo developing shop!" she said. "I can scan all my old photo prints onto my facebook account!" she said.
    It now sits there, after 5 months, gathering a LOT of dust, like some sort of Russian cold war mechanised folly. It gets a very occasional use to print out an AA route map or a curry recipe. It's never printed a single f*cking picture. Thank you wifey.

I bought her a Fender Bass Guitar and a Fender amp for Christmas. She's "always wanted to learn the bass" she said. I got her a book, I've offered to help her learn, yet it still sits there as the most expensive ornament that we have in the house. It was picked up and put down on Christmas day, and has sat on its stand ever since. The greatest dust collector since the photo printer.

I should stop listening to this woman.

6. Seriously expensive fly line which now holds my old mans bean poles together

7. Sword. Purchased as a keen young subbie, engraved with my name and capbadge and everything. Worn twice - once at my wedding (and used to cut cake) and once at a parade (I could have signed out one of the recently purchased regimental ones).

Now used primarily to push the little button on the smoke alarms on my ceiling - once every six months or so.

Looking forward to using it more when the revolution comes, or when zombies attack, whichever is sooner.

8. Back to the sand paper covered butt plug then Jarrod?

9. Is that jarrod pointing out for the 47th time today that he prefers to hang out of the back of men?

10. It wouldn't be a Jarrod post if he didn't!

11. The Labour Party

12. I've got a HD video camera that I havent quite worked out yet. I can capture movies on it but none of the movies have actually made it to my PC. Still, at least I look techy and modern at U6's football on Sat mornings.

13. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Have you not heard of EBay? Believe me there are people that will buy this stuff!

14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

blimey charlie salforddude, I would have probably taken it off your mitts for a fair price.

unfortunately I dont live in salford anymore...

my worst sin is computer games. PS1, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, several PC's (the only one of which that hasnt been pulled apart and rebuilt with new components is this one), god alone knows how many joysticks/race wheels/joypads/mice (who else bought the PS1 mouse for strategy games ffs?) and not forgetting hundreds upon hundreds of games themselves (some of the PS1 games bought back in 2000 and not even taken out of the box still). ridiculous.
    and after a pledge to stop doing that when I moved down here, what do I find myself doing at least once a week??? curse my travel to work and the way it takes me past 2 branches of HMV, a Game and a Gamestation... :(

15. Ive heard of Ebay
    but
    It might come in useful....
    Ive got an Enfield Constellation in the front room, dont ride it anymore, gathering dust with half a dozen tents picked up at rallies, umpteen carrymats, and a pair of WEM 4x10" PA speakers, that might come in useful
    I live alone