Expedition Training Leader?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by The_Cheat, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm down to do this course and I'll be the first person in my Coy to do it. I'm not worried about the physical aspects of it, but does any one know what it entails? I'm not sure if Regs can do this course to as I'm TA. Either way, any info would be appreciated.

T C

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mate, I've never heard of an Expedition Training Leader course, are you sure that it isn't the Endurance Training Leader course that you're down for? If so then yes there is a physical assessment for the ETL course, essentially the same one as the PTI's i.e. a PFT. The ETL course that I did was a three day one with the Regulars, but I believe the TA do one over one or two weekends so obviously it's easier to do than the extended length of a PTI course.

The course is essentially designed to teach you how use markers, how to handle a group in a phys session i.e. working to the weakest person's work rate, but still ensuring the fitter lads get a work out (there are ways and means to accomplish this). Importantly, you learn about different stretches and when and how to employ them.

There's a fair amount of phys on the course (as you would expect), but certainly nothing too demanding, just a lot of running and load marches.

3. I may or may not have gotten the name wrong... In fact, I'm pretty sure that down here in Cheatopia the course has a different name.... *ahem*

But yeah, that sounds like the badger. Would you say it's two days of running / tabbing and some theory work? Doesn't sound to bad at all!

T C

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Basically, we'd learn a bit of theory then hit the road to put it in practice. We were out on the streets/CFT course practicing marker drills etc for runs and load marches once in the morning and again in the afternoon. It wasn't that physically demanding (except when it was your turn to be rear marker), it was just a lot of physical activity. As I said, I was on the regular course so don't know how they would divvy it up over two weekends.