Expat sympathy?

How so don't soldiers pay tax?
Steven I'm not envious just annoyed that I'm taxed up the arsehole and that millions will be pissed up against the wall saving these people who don't contribute but when they'e in the shit or feeling poorly come running back to the UK for what they believed they're owed because they paid tax thirty years. I'd also argue part of whats got the UK in the current shite state its in is because we've spunked far too much money trying to help those who won't help themselves and whilst the Americans are more then happy to go steaming in to save their citizens they then allow them to die from preventable diseases at home because they can't afford insurance.
Soldiers are consumers of tax not payers.

The actual tax payers pay for you and if you are not there to defend and assist other British citizens then what is the point of paying for you in the first place?

Quoth

War Hero
Exile, I was in a pub the other night when a bunch of lads were haveing the same conversation, there nearest thing they had done for themselves was wipe their arrses......you always get "Clown factor" dribbiling when Ex pats need to get out fast.....you got to laugh at them.
I think laughing at the ex-pats would be a bit harsh.

Q

basically it's "they earn more money and have a more successfull career than I. WAAA WAAA WAAA
Britain should let it's citizens die as soon as they leave the country WAAA WAAAA WAAAA"

the fact that you're all so uptight about this proves that you'd be the first to go on whinge-a-thon.

even if you'd all have a private jet on standby in your backyard. of course.

We don't. The thought of some never-served DPM fantasist like yourself, handwringing and wailing over 'The poor, hard done by troops' makes me vomit copious amounts of bile. You son of Bravo.
don't flatter yourself.

Some will pick up on a bleating chav on TV wailing about her husband still stranded or a stupid petition on facebook and think thats the norm. The reality is that there are many different reasons why people require help from HM Government whilst abroad. As alluded to, the stupid will not prep and plan for an emergency whilst others will. Personally although I live in a country where I feel safer than on British streets and life is pretty stable, I have various currencies in my safe, 100 litres of fuel stored, a grab bag with intrinsic valuables and certain other paperwork in it. I have also made other preparations that I will not divulge. I'm not paranoid but..... just in case.....................

The_Magician

Old-Salt
So the idea that these are fellow British citizens in need of help means nothing to most of you?

That exact "envious of anything better than I have" attitude is one (among very very many more) reasons why I personally decided to leave in the first place.

Oh and if this place goes all jackboots and blackshirts again then I think I will head for the US at least they make an effort to aid their own unlike some.

Oh and as a final point I still pay UK tax on my military pension so I demand a full service resuce please. :)
Envious don't make laugh

Just pissed off, that I live in this country pay tax @40% on my wages and Army Pension. I stay here because I like living here, I have been offerred Jobs all over the Middle East paying very very good money, but I have declined every time, because things like this happens in these areas. So I stay here making Very Good Money and I am Very Very Happy. "Simple" as Alexander Would Say.....

Now feck off and Do One...

Magic

I think the difference here is that blokes who come back from the sandpit minus various body parts, or in a cheap wooden box, do so in the service of their country, not their wallet, that may be why there's a lack of sympathy.
I agree that a British passport holder should be entitled to some help if the shit hits the fan, but they should also expect to pay for it if the need arises.
You will find the lack of sympathy mostly due to jealousy,to them having a fatter wallet than most of the "against" posters here.

Are you a Civvie yet?

The actual tax payers pay for you and if you are not there to defend and assist other British citizens then what is the point of paying for you in the first place?
I'm not in yet, still just a wannabe before I'm accused of walting.
I've no problem with aid being provided to British expats but I'd expect them to contribute towards it and as S_S said I'm surprised they don't have exit plans in place after choosing to live in dodgey places such as Libya especially as this has been building up for a while.

You will find the lack of sympathy mostly due to jealousy,to them having a fatter wallet than most of the "against" posters here.
No my lack of sympathy is that they've willingly put themselves in harms way for money. Its the same reason I have no sympathy for idiot tourists who get themselves kidnapped after wandering into a warzone/failed state for shits andd giggles.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

In that case, HMRC owe me a fortune in tax as I'm sure I paid in during my time, NI contributions too!!

Envious don't make laugh

Just pissed off, that I live in this country pay tax @40% on my wages and Army Pension. I stay here because I like living here, I have been offerred Jobs all over the Middle East paying very very good money, but I have declined every time, because things like this happens in these areas. So I stay here making Very Good Money and I am Very Very Happy. "Simple" as Alexander Would Say.....

Now feck off and Do One...

Magic
So you refused "very very good money" becasue you were, shall we say concerned, that something might happen in the future so you would rather stay at home and pay 40% tax and you are not envious.

Well of course.

The_Magician

Old-Salt
So you refused "very very good money" becasue you were, shall we say concerned, that something might happen in the future so you would rather stay at home and pay 40% tax and you are not envious.

Well of course.
Absolutely you knob end

Magic

In that case, HMRC owe me a fortune in tax as I'm sure I paid in during my time, NI contributions too!!
Yes you did but where exactly did you get the money from in the first place?

We just recycled tax money is all.

Are you a Civvie yet?
Yes, I am a civvy now, and no I'm not jealous of them because they earn more than me. If they are bright enough to be able to earn a mint abroad, then fair play to them.

But as has already been mentioned, if they're that clever, they should've seen this coming a mile off and planned accordingly, rather than expecting the rest of us to foot the bill for getting them out of shitsville.

As an ex-pat of course I would want help being repatriated if there was no other way of getting out of there, and those of you who say "pah' ex-pats fuck 'em" would be lying or have no imagination if you think you would be any different in the same situation.

As an ex-pat of course I would be wiling to pay my way out as well. What I wouldnt do, and what seems to get your goats up (as indeed it does mine) is whinge like a fecker if the repatriation didnt go as smooth as one would like. if I was in that situation, especially with a family as wel,l I would be fecking grateful to the 'N'th degree for those risking thier lives in coming and getting us out, regardless of how long it took!

C

Crio

"Help Help I'm chained to a radiator send the SAS or my wife will cry on T.V."
:rofl:

I just lost a mouthful of tea to that comment.

Totally worth it - I'm sure the keyboard can be replaced. It's not like it's mine or anything.

Personally, I think we should go and get 'em and the Ex pats should contribute to the expense of their rescue.
Apart from anything else-and I'm certainly not blaming the incumbent British Government for this-it will further highlight the fact to the public in general, that as a military system, we are so strapped that there is now very little we can do in these situations.
Things we can'do include sending a Tri Star and a gunboat with a medical facility and a Company of Squaddies/Marines. Nothing drastic,but it would send the message that the infrastructure's got it covered
Old Bill Hague making excuses why Easyget had mugged him off on the telly was pathetic.

Andy632

Old-Salt
Why does everybody assume that all expats are not paying tax and relying solely on HMG to bail them out of trouble. It simply is not the case. But the truth never gets in the way of a good story or whinge does it.
I'll bet half the wankers whinging are the same 'unemployed/unemployable' wankers in the pub whinging about polacks & eastern Europeans, over here (UK) taking "their" jobs! However I have not been able to see what shite is broadcast on the BBC these days; fook me how can I sleep at night??

I'm an expat worker in Ivory Coast (not very politically stable at the moment), due to me abiding to the UK residency rules I have to pay full UK tax (40%) & NI contributions (Which I have done for over 40 years). I'll admit there are plenty of expat Brits who do not pay UK taxes, some legally some not so legally, depends how you can utilise the regulations to your advantage. Let's face it, nobody likes paying tax if they can get away with it.

I would also say that over the years virtually all companies I have worked for have always had their own emergency evacuation plans and know very well how much faith they can put in HMG to support us should the shit hit the fan.

On the other hand, should the shit hit the fan why shouldn't HMG help out it's citizens? Most developed countries do it for their citizens.

So to the whingers, I say, STFU until you know what you are talking about. All expats are not tax dodgeing whingers, just like not all squaddies are uncouth drunken Mongs!

The DS solution is as follows .
Ex pat oil worker , etc must demonstrate on departure from UK to Libya / Nigeria /various other listed dangerous hotspots / that they , or their employers have an insurance policy in place to cover the cost of any extraction by Control Risks or a host of similar organizations and must sign a disclaimer to the effect that they confirm they are going there at their own risk , have read the small print , and understand that our pitifully overstretched armed forces will not be there to rescue them when it all goes t*ts up .If they still want to get on the plane, they are covered by insurance and have been warned.Job jobbed .

Latest Threads