Expat sympathy?

My heart bleeds purple piss for their predicament, and my shit is itching watching the bleating fuckers on the news.

PRO TIP: If you don't want to be stranded in a 3rd world shit hole... don't go there.
Hey Crunchie......the UK is getting to be 3rd world......but you have nt realised that yet......LOL

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
My bold - Our government at the time made the 'escapees' from the Kuwait affair pay for their way home. Those who made it to Jordan were informed by our Embassy there to cough up £600 / person. Those who pleaded that they'd got out of Kuwait with the clothes they stood up in were obliged to ask UK relatives to provide the cash.
They used to brief you at Akrotiri that med centre tc would only cover duty patients and not families etc on holiday
It was pointed out that they would be looking for your insurance company to cough up about £250 a day for a hospital stay or you could go down town and take your chance
They also reckoned on about £5000 an hour if a Wessex had to come and get you from somehwere

Don't know if they ever charged anyone but thats what they quoted

I have no sympathy with them. Surely they were aware of the risks? After all, you dont get paid shed loads for nowt?
If they weren't, they must be as thick as pig merde.

I certainly understood why KBR were paying me loads in Iraq. Numpties!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
In. Watching William Vague on CH4 news blaming everything on private companies for not providing aircraft that he booked four days after the shooting started really turned my stomach.
Why couldn't the companies ring round for aircraft
Why does Hague and the FCO have to find them

Surely BP could offer B.A. a big fuel discount to offset the risk?
Private firms fly Herc etc not just the Military

I have no sympathy with them. Surely they were aware of the risks? After all, you dont get paid shed loads for nowt?
If they weren't, they must be as thick as pig merde.

I certainly understood why KBR were paying me loads in Iraq. Numpties!
If the news headlines read..."Brits massacred in Tripoili" the outrage bus on here would be full to bursting

OOOOOOOH (hand bags raised to chest).... just because you naysayers are scared of working abroad......(ooooooh they dont pay tax oooooh) dont mean that they have not contributed in the past, they are Brits therefore if Johnny Arab kicks off they should be rescued.....you bunch of hand wringing jessies.....you pay tax because you cant be arrsed to set your own company up.....or challenge the system or even work the system " I am a tax payer me" well done sheep........LOL
I've worked in Sri Lanka (while it was still kicking off) Lebanon and Syria. Each time I've had the sense to have cash, passport and a run like fuck plan ready to go simply because you never know. I even do it on my holidays as every sunny place worth going to has a nasty habit of wobbling alot, flooding or bursting into flames.

I dont care how much they are being paid and agree that if you hold a British passport it is the states duty to help you get out of dodge. Just dont come on the tv crying about it when every other country in the region have kicked off and you didnt have the sense to be on your toes sharpish.

so dear squaddies, by that logic, don't expect any sympathy from civvies when you lose bits and pieces on tour, or even your life.

So the idea that these are fellow British citizens in need of help means nothing to most of you?

That exact "envious of anything better than I have" attitude is one (among very very many more) reasons why I personally decided to leave in the first place.

Oh and if this place goes all jackboots and blackshirts again then I think I will head for the US at least they make an effort to aid their own unlike some.

Oh and as a final point I still pay UK tax on my military pension so I demand a full service resuce please. :)

Perhaps those in the UK genuinely outraged by the plight of our poor expatriates should channel their energy into something other than grumpy TV sound bites.

There must be hundreds, if not thousands of boats available in friendly Med countries. Go out there, rent one, do your duty! Expats, leave the airport, make your way to the beaches!

I've worked in Sri Lanka (while it was still kicking off) Lebanon and Syria. Each time I've had the sense to have cash, passport and a run like fuck plan ready to go simply because you never know. I even do it on my holidays as every sunny place worth going to has a nasty habit of wobbling alot, flooding or bursting into flames.

I dont care how much they are being paid and agree that if you hold a British passport it is the states duty to help you get out of dodge. Just dont come on the tv crying about it when every other country in the region have kicked off and you didnt have the sense to be on your toes sharpish.
Like you I always have a plan "B" but the problem is that the UK has been Nannied people for so long, people cant think for themselves and believe its someone elses duty to sort them out.

Tom9748

Old-Salt
Used to live next door to a lad who works in Libya that was when I was 14 I'm now 41 and said lad still works there,nice enough lad,had the biggest extension on the house always a new car each year on the drive,obviously earned pretty good (tax free?) wages.Shit has now hit the fan,yesterday I get a Facebook invite "Free Jonh Smith from Libya".Are we really supposed to feel sorry for these people who pretty much pay fuck all into the system then expect to be bailed out.Makes my fooking blood boil.You roll the dice you takes ya chances!!!

so dear squaddies, by that logic, don't expect any sympathy from civvies when you lose bits and pieces on tour, or even your life.
We don't. The thought of some never-served DPM fantasist like yourself, handwringing and wailing over 'The poor, hard done by troops' makes me vomit copious amounts of bile. You son of Bravo.

Used to live next door to a lad who works in Libya that was when I was 14 I'm now 41 and said lad still works there,nice enough lad,had the biggest extension on the house always a new car each year on the drive,obviously earned pretty good (tax free?) wages.Shit has now hit the fan,yesterday I get a Facebook invite "Free Jonh Smith from Libya".Are we really supposed to feel sorry for these people who pretty much pay fuck all into the system then expect to be bailed out.Makes my fooking blood boil.You roll the dice you takes ya chances!!!
Envy........I am sure the tax you pay from macdonalds is on the high band.......LOL

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Personaly we should treat them like we treat the rest of the country - like one big X factor contest
Thre judges on the back of the boat / Herc

Hiya whats yer name?
I'm sorry we can't find a tax return - your not going through bye

Hiya whats yer name
Oh look 40% tax give that Crab Flight Sgt my compliments and take his seat

Ahh...but they choose their destination out of choice to avoid tax, make loads of easy money and have little Philapino nannies run around after their kids (I'm jealous now) etc and totally failed to anticipate the risks as already pointed out. I'm sorry but if I was working somewhere where the countries either side had been experiencing a little domestic 'upset' my feet wouldn't touch the ground, I'd have the sense of mind, personal preservation and nounce to get my family out at the first hint of trouble, then me, by hook or by crook.

As Darwin said 'survival of the fittest' though from the displays of self pity seen by the 'stranded' ex-pats on Sky etc this should now include 'Use and win the battle of common sense.'

Cause we don't go to places like Afgan for wealth and riches. I could not give a shit about your thoughts. Once Afgan is finished the public will go back to hating the military and thinking we are scum of the earth.

How so don't soldiers pay tax?
Steven I'm not envious just annoyed that I'm taxed up the arsehole and that millions will be pissed up against the wall saving these people who don't contribute but when they'e in the shit or feeling poorly come running back to the UK for what they believed they're owed because they paid tax thirty years. I'd also argue part of whats got the UK in the current shite state its in is because we've spunked far too much money trying to help those who won't help themselves and whilst the Americans are more then happy to go steaming in to save their citizens they then allow them to die from preventable diseases at home because they can't afford insurance.

I think the difference here is that blokes who come back from the sandpit minus various body parts, or in a cheap wooden box, do so in the service of their country, not their wallet, that may be why there's a lack of sympathy.
I agree that a British passport holder should be entitled to some help if the shit hits the fan, but they should also expect to pay for it if the need arises.

you pay tax because you cant be arrsed to set your own company up.....or challenge the system or even work the system " I am a tax payer me" well done sheep........LOL
I do have my own UK company, and pay tax. It's not that tricky, nor that expensive if you can afford the right advice.

Latest Threads