Expat officer application

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Exc1te, Feb 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, about 2 years ago I talked with an ACA in London about the residency requirements for officer application. Obviously the 5 year requirement is the one that immediately jumps to mind, but fortunately for me she said that as a fully British applicant (born in UK, UK parents, only ever had a British passport) I would only need to be resident in the UK for 12 months before being allowed go attend Sandhurst.

Skip forward to now, I've moved back to the UK (North East) and yesterday submitted my application form. I got an email back saying that I do not meet the 5 years residency requirement. I can't reply to this email and can't find a phone number for the office so instead have contacted the regional ACA to ask if they can take a closer look at the requirements. Unfortunately the ACA I spoke to in London now works somewhere else.

To add to my problems I can't hang around for 5 years, I'm getting pretty close to turning 26.

My question to you is whether anyone has any experience with an ex-expat going through the officer application procedure. Was the 12 month requirement I was told about accurate, or am I properly fucked?

2. Not sure about this - the closest thing to ex-pats I have known as Officers were foreign - South Africans etc.

They joined as soldiers and then applied to commission, precisely for that reason - it was quicker to get to Sandhurst than meet the officer entry requirements.

There must be a DIN on it somewhere - but it could be a toughy - did you get anything in writing, or was it a phone call to the ACA Officer who has vanished?

3. Please keep us updated Exc1te, I'm almost in the same boat as you and looking for an answer. I am also UK born with UK parents and almost the entirety of my family are still in England. However I have been living in Australia for over five years now completing high school and my undergraduate degree and now have a dual citizenship. My issue is that I can't find a straight answer, and I don't want to move back blindly and get turned down and miss out on graduate opportunities I have over here. However I must note I am incredibly keen to join and it is without a doubt my first priority.

Apart from contacting Army Officer Jobs about this (without a response yet), I have also found on these forums that there is a residency waiver that you can apply for. However I have found conflicting information from an ex recruiter on yahoo answers who says that is not needed at all and the process should be smooth, which according to your situation is completely wrong. I have also found official posts on the Army Officer Jobs Facebook page in response to similar questions from individuals and this is what they look like.

Hi. I'm 20 and currently studying in the UK. I am a British citizen born in the UK but have lived abroad for most of my life with my parents who work in Latvia. I am well aware that I do not meet officer residency requirements as I've been resident in the UK only since Sept 2012. Is it possible, however, for me to obtain a residency waiver and, if so, how do I go about it? Thank you.

Jonathan, I will look into this and get back to you as soon as possible

Hello, I am 19 years old and I live in Germany, I am moving back to England in a couple of Month, because I have been born in England.
    Is it possible for me to join the British Army in fact I lived in Germany for over 16 years?
    Thank you for Helping!

Julian, To join as a British Army officer you need to have resided in the UK for 5 years. To join as a soldier you need to be a British Citizen, or a Citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a Citizen from a commonwealth country. For more information please look at the following link: Nationality and residency - British Army Website

Hey, if I am a British citizen but have lived in New Zealand for 15 years,will I need to move back to the UK for a periodof time before applying for entry into the Army as a commissioned officer?

Thomas, you will more than likely have to reside in the UK for a period of time before being able to start officer training (probably 2 - 3 years)..

As you can see the responses vary from I don't know to no to maybe this is right. Ill report back if/when I get a response.

4. My son, as OP, (both British parents, born in UK, UK passport only - no entitlement to any other - but age 5 - 17 in Italy where I was working) is going through this at the moment, with varying responses depending on who he speaks to, time of day, whether there's an 'r' in the month, etc. We thought he was ok for the 5 years, because he did VIth form in the UK and then university. That makes 5 years - or so we thought. He has even had one response saying the 5 years only started when he went on the electoral roll in the UK, i.e. when he turned 18.

He has applied for a waiver and we are waiting to hear.

I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the problem lies in computer-read applications, i.e. if the box can't be ticked correctly, then the system throws out a negative response. I hope I am wrong in that line of thinking.

5. Hey guys, thanks for the responses so far.

To give an update of my situation. I replied to the email which had stated that I would need 5 years residency. The person on the other end then had another look at my application and said that, as I am a British citizen, I would be able to apply for a residency waiver immediately. She then passed my details on to the local ACA.

However, as the recruitment process is being semi-privatised all new intakes are effectively on hold until March the 26th. Only then will I be able to have a face-to-face meeting with an ACA and get the ball rolling.

I was only given this opportunity because I have always retained my British citizenship. If you've taken on a second nationality this may change things for you.

A side note - does anyone know how residency is checked? I signed in to a GP pretty soon after arrival assuming this would be how they checked. In the Netherlands everyone had to register with the council when you moved in, but I couldn't find any such rules when I moved back to the UK. Should I apply to the electoral register?

6. I would have thought applying for benefits would be the accepted norm today.

7. I have lived abroad for most of my life but I was born in the UK, both parents are British and I've always been a UK citizen. I also applied online and was told I don't meet residency requirements. I fully expected this but I can't wait 5 years before applying. So I went to see my local ACA and he was quite surprised at the answer I had received. He said he would look into it. He also said the recruitment process is semi privatised and it's making it a bit complicated. Will have to see what he finds out.

8. I found this on the RAF careers site:

Residency As well as meeting nationality requirements, you must also meet certain residency criteria to be eligible to apply for a job in the RAF.

UK Resident for a Minimum of 5-years

If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for a minimum period of 5 years immediately prior to your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside of the UK during this time, then you meet our residency criteria. You should register your interest as normal.

If you have spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK in the last 5 years, then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility. During the application process you will be asked to explain why you have spent over 28 days outside the UK. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.

UK Resident Between 3 and 5-years

If you have been resident in the UK for more than 3 years but less than 5 years immediately prior to making your application, and have not spent more than 28 days per year outside the UK during this period then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, provided that you meet our other eligibility criteria, you should register your interest as normal.

UK Resident less than 3 years
    If you have been resident in the United Kingdom for less than 3 years, but fall into one of the following categories then we will need to complete further checks on your eligibility during the application process. In the meantime, you should register you interest as normal.

■You spent time abroad for travel/ study gap year reasons.
    ■You lived abroad because your parents were employed by the UK government (including HM Forces) in a foreign country.
    ■You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.
    If you do not fall into one of the above categories, then you are ineligible to apply to the RAF at this time.

9. Do your six months on the 'rock 'n' roll then join as a squaddie, you will then be a gentleman 'ranker' your potential will be quickly noticed :) the field marshal's baton is now in your knapsack..job jobbed.. ;)

10. Exc1te, Elemental and jonathan_firth, I have sent you a PM. Please check asap.
    Thanks.