Expansion of two year degrees

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by gobbyidiot, Feb 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The problem is this may not fit in with European degree equivalence issues.
    A couple of years ago, there was quite a discussion about this as Italy would not recognise UK 3-year first (Bachelor) degrees awarded after a certain date - and I can not remember the qualifying year - as being equivalent to Italian first degrees which take four years to complete.
    This is important as people with a degree are entitled to higher salary scales than those with a diploma.
    As an example, I did a short consultancy with an Italian for an Italian group. His highest educational qualification was a diploma, mine is a 4-year UK modern-languages degree. Even though I was his subordinate, because I held a degree, my remuneration rate had to be higher than his.

2. I think this is a bad idea.

The article claims it will effect research, but I don't think this is the case. It just means undergraduates will have more teaching from postgraduates, which will effect the quality of their education.

Also, what about the benefits of a university eduction, that are not just from studying. From that I mean, the skills that are developed by running a sports club, student society, or taking a position in the students union? It would even limit students from taking up summer internships, placements etc.

These activities provide students with valuable experience that isn't available from studying alone - for example, in my job applications, I used to talk about the skills I developed whilst working as a Students' Union Executive more than my time in the mob. If a new timetable doesn't allow students to take part in these activities, I can see a general decrease in the quality of graduates.