Expanding (High fragmentation) ammunition for fox

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know we've discussed this before but it's friendly in here so perhaps we can do it again.. :)

I need to destroy some foxes for my neighbour across the lane. I have two sensible choices of rifle:

.22 RF BSA
    308 TRG22

As I'm actually setting out for fox I intend to use the latter although I've taken my one and only fox with the rimfire before.

Anyway, I need to handload something. I think the faster and particularly more frangible the better as although it's not exactly built up round here it's not Cape Wrath either so rounds that explode instead of ricocheting would be best.

Any suggestions? Barrel twist is 1 in 11", 26"

2. are you looking for a reduced load for close range or a long range hypersonic vermin shredder?
    if your going for the softly slowly option, the speer reloading manual (number ten), shows a 100-grain Speer "Plinker" and 16 grains of SR4759, 1516 fps and 510 foot-pounds of energy, be fine out to 100-150 meters for fox.
    you want the thing to end up as mince, get some remington accelerators, I know they are expensive, but SOO much fun watching the target vaporise through the scope, with your H/Bar-Tiki 250 meters on fox easy.
    can you still buy the plastic sabots to load-up your own accelerators?
    1:11 twist should be fine with either option.

3. I was thinking a fast load, not so much so as to vaporise the fox but more so that there is no ricochet to cause problems. There is housing 600 metres away on the right of arc and 1400 metres away on axis.

Range will be 50 - 200m.

I'd be interested in the accelerators but suspect they might need more load development than I have time for.

A load using Viht N140 or N150 would be handy as I have some in stock.

:)

4. Having used the plastic sabots to reload a 5.56 bullet into a .308 case, I was not overly impressed with the results. Having played around a bit, the best I could get was about 10cm @100m. Maybe with more playing (different weights of 5.56) might get better results but I just gave up at the time.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I would humbly suggest that you get a variation for a 22-250 and whack some BT tips through that. Fast, flat, accurate and devastating to Foxes out to quite ridiculous ranges considering the diameter of the bullet. Foxes at 500m is achievable if you're good.

6. I wasn't thinking of spending money on a new rifle just to whack the neighbour's foxes for him!

I have some Federal powershok factory ammo. Might try that, it's been sitting round long enough. Doesn't give the accuracy the TRG is capable of but should be adequate out to 200.

What about the barnes varmint grenades? a 100 grainer in 308? perhaps?

7. Ah, Barnes Varmint grenades only go up to 6mm.... Anything with a similar degree of fragmentation out there?

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a box of accelerators factory loaded in .308 already! Should have asked earlier and you could have collected them this weekend gone!

9. Too bad. Do they group?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Probably, I havent wanted to use them on a target despite knowing they would need a rezero. Must get in a big stash and go to play!

11. I used to use a Sierra 110gn HP varminter bullet for Seals & foxes in my .308 ( & my friend's 30-06); good for up to around 150-200 yards.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Drive any lightweight thin jacketed ball or soft point fast enough and it will have an A max moment!

13. Thought A-max was the Target Bullet? V-max is the varmint bullet. (not that there's any difference apart from the packaging and what you can post in the UK). Just being me this morning.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A max despite the companies blurb is recognised and categorised for what it is, expanding ammunition, in fact its almost bloody explosive.

15. We took out 4 of the mangy wee beasts the other night. Trust to your fox whistle and let them appraoch you, cuts the range down to less than 10m - they never seem to learn that curiosity kills. Couldn't be easier and at that distance, not even a STAB could miss (one hopes!).