Exotic meats

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by supermatelot, Feb 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My local butchers do "exotic meats". They are frozen cuts but some of the available offerings are:

Camel steaks
    Impala steak
    kudu steak
    Springbok & wildebeest steaks
    Zebra steaks and Bison.

Has anybody any experience in cooking these? What goes well with them? What do they taste like?

Cheers.

2. Bison is great!

3. Yes, Bison is superb. Impala and Kudu I have only ever cooked on hot stones in a restaurant in Maputo, but theyr were bloody good. Fry em like steak. I imagine Wildebeaste,Springbok and Zebra will be similar. I have only ever had Camel cooked in a kind of stew with lentils and things, mid east style, it was ok.

4. The best steak iv ever had was in Canada, you just cant get the same quality of steak in this country.

5. Bison makes farkin cracking burgers, lush to buggery.

6. Stay away from camel meat....tough and stringy and why a previous poster noted it was served in some sort of stew. Ditto goat meat...having said that, some consider it delicious.

Bison meat on the other hand is excellent but because it's not a farmed animal (yet) it inherently has a lot less fat. Good for your arteries but you need to introduce some fat during the cooking process otherwise you're going to end up with shoe leather.

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I had a camel steak a while back.

it gave me the right hump though.

8. You should try Ghurka curry made with goat meat, brilliant. Just watch out for the bones :D

9. One or two?

10. Aye, the issue isn't really in the meat, it's how you use it. Goat etc are absolutely banging in a slow cooked curry or stew, to really get them breaking down and unlocking their full flavour potential at the same time. Remember to brown it off first aswell, get the flavours properly working.

11. Agreed, my mate makes THE most awesome Caribbean goat curry!! Its Bootiful!!

12. Only had camel once and it was shite, but Kudu and Impala are really beutifull, just cook them like steak, in South africa we had them with a very fruity salad and it was effin heaven

13. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I've eaten Zebra before, had it as a steak. It was a bit tough, being a wild animal but was ok. Might be nice as a stew or curry, or used with a fondue.

14. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Try eating Skippy the Kangaroo - had some in Oz last year.

It is nice - but is a really delicate meat to cook so treat it like venisoon and you can't go too far wrong.

15. I had tarantula once in B