Exit interviews

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jan 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Does anyone actually conduct these to find out why people really left?

If so, what format do they take and when do you do them?

2. These fabled"exit interviews" have been mooted for the last quarter century.I have yet to see one successfully carried out
  3. They aren't going to happen are they. The answers would be so easy to cover up. Most know whats going wrong with a unit without interviews.
  4. I spoke to my 2ic about these over 3 years ago and even gave him a format but noting ever happened!
  5. The real point of so-called "exit interviews" is for the chain of command to try to find out if you have any "issues" that might come to light and cause embarrassment after you leave.

For example bullying in the army, chatting to the gutter press, embarassing photographs, trophies from ops, that sort of thing.

6. Idlestab,

Got to disagree. The main point of these should be to find out what it is that has resulted in someone wanting to leave. If there are specific issues these can then be taken on board and if relevant addressed to prevent the issue arising again and losing more soldiers. Over a period of time it is also useful to build a picture of what brough them in initially, what they enjoyed and did not, what caused them to consider leaving, what coudl have been done to prevent it and woudl they consider returning (eg when kids a bit older etc). All relevant stuff.

If ther are 'other' issues that may come to light so much the better but I doubt they will put these in some for of exit interview anyway! The biggest problem I have forseen is the individual not bothering to complete a questionnaire even with a reply paid evelope which makes a face to face with a SNCO/Officer a better bet (but only if it can be done on a non blame/defence confrontational way).
  7. msr

msr LE

I think I agree with your position here - what about the interview rbeing carried out after their kit has been handed in and possible by someone outside the chain of command (Padre?)

8. STA,
    I am not in DISagreement with your msg at all hopefully my post and yours are not mutually exclusive. Yours if definitely what would be an ideal sit.
    - I'm suggesting that there are wider issued than the normal protocols. Suits know another very related reason for exit interviews is to see if the leaver has thoughts of taking legal action against the employer.
    As a "devil's advocate example" take the London medic who is rather topical at present.

Your last paragraph very relevant. I say many individuals just wanted OUTand really did not want to walk back inthrough the gates, thereby making exit interviews a bit difficult - especially if the resignee has "issues" with whoever is higher up the foodchain.

I'm a little cyncial as my own leaving interview was a little farcical. OC seemed to be looking for some reassurance that he is good at his job(that's a yes, outstanding in fact) but I wasn't going to voice any real reasons for leaving until I had my discharge certificate! And then, quite frankly, couldn't be............

ps note my amendment 1ST sentence in capitals - just goes to show check msgs before send! Idle.
  9. In commercial (civvy street) terms these have pretty well gone by the board for the reasons stated here. Human Relations (= posh name for personnel dept) people like them as they can sometimes give them a heads up on some sh1t that may come their way. The information that comes from exits should be obtained in the discussions dept head/employee at the time the employee submits resignation or the discipline interviews if applicable.
  10. Actually there is a fundamental professional difference between HR and personnel, the former being about getting the business and its staff working together and maximising contribution and the latter being tea and sympathy (I don't do sympathy :twisted: ).

Yes, exit interviews might give a heads up to forthcoming litigation but in reality is is more likely to be used as data to highlight a salary issue or management style. Anyone contemplating an IT1 will not rarely provide the respondent with ammunition at an exit interview however, in the context of the origional discussion they can serve the purpose of establishing why people are leaving so at least it can be looked at.