Existing nations/cultures/tribes that never had an army.

I heard a comedian the other day talking about nations that never had an army or any armed forces.

The Eskimos.

I wonder if there are any others out there that do not have armed forces. First I thought aborigines maybe.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Bhutan and Haiti. They both have police forces with access to heavy small arms, but that was about it.

UK in about 5 years' time.

Costa Rica did have armed forces until 1948.

Mind you the way their police and even supermarket guards are tooled up (I know, I was there for six months this time last year) they might as well still have. For feck's sake even the local villagers had some tasty hardware...

Botswana went a while without any armed forces (about 11 years after independence).

Quite a few Caribbean countries don't have them like St Lucia and St Vincent.

smartascarrots said:
Bhutan and Haiti. They both have police forces with access to heavy small arms, but that was about it.

You think UK police SERVICE would be allowed to have heavy small arms?

Domovoy said:
smartascarrots said:

No, I think the UK in 5 years' time won't have an army.

(Kidding.)

What about native Americans? I know there was tribal warfare and such, but I don't think they had organised armed forces.

Domovoy said:
smartascarrots said:

No..no...they are allowed 'heavy small personel'...witness any WPC...

redgrain said:
What about native Americans? I know there was tribal warfare and such, but I don't think they had organised armed forces.
Depends which tribal group and at which point in history. A raiding party could range from a handfull to several dozen braves making a crude plan relying on audacity, bravery, and speed to capture livestock or people. All out intertribal war was on the other hand carefully planned and carried out with all available personnel to destroy one's opponent. Tribes that lost such conflicts ceased to exist as their women and children were absorbed into the victorious group. Guess you could say that regiments of a sort existed and there certainly were strategies requiring maneuver of disparate forces to flank, feint, etc.

Khyros said:
redgrain said:
Depends which tribal group and at which point in history. A raiding party could range from a handfull to several dozen braves making a crude plan relying on audacity, bravery, and speed to capture livestock or people. All out intertribal war was on the other hand carefully planned and carried out with all available personnel to destroy one's opponent. Tribes that lost such conflicts ceased to exist as their women and children were absorbed into the victorious group. Guess you could say that regiments of a sort existed and there certainly were strategies requiring maneuver of disparate forces to flank, feint, etc.
Thanks for that information. I hadn't realised such levels of organisation existed. Do you know if they had ranks, different functions etc. formally defined?

There definately was a rank structure of sorts... especially within such groups as the Cherokee (who were far more organized and modernized than folks tend to think of them as being, they did have plantations and towns before being evicted from their lands.) Far as MTOE and all that is concerned, your talking about subgroups amounting to light infantry or cavalry sections task organized as required for the mission at hand rather than established branches responsible for a particular funtion like we see in the European model at the time. Think of how the Zulu were organized and imprint the use of horses to get what I mean.

ghost_us said:
I heard a comedian the other day talking about nations that never had an army or any armed forces.

The Eskimos.

I wonder if there are any others out there that do not have armed forces. First I thought aborigines maybe.

Anyone else have any ideas?
The French?! :twisted:

Sorry...could'nt resist it... I'll get my coat... :oops:

Latest Threads