Exeter RTC / MOD 5

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by gimpmask, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am after a contact number for the RTC in Exeter.

I'm looking to book myself onto some MOD 5 weekends with them and need to know the dates etc.

Thanks in advance.
  2. msr

msr LE

Why are you booking yourself on to these? Speak to your PSI.

3. msr - I have agreed with my TM that I would phone up the RTC and book myself on. His list of MOD5s does not include any in the South West and we agreed that I would phone the RTC and ask - and then book myself on.
  4. Gimpmask - I've PMd you
  5. What is MOD 5?

They won't accept any bookings unless it comes from your unit. Feel free to make enquiries though, the phone number is on the RTC website, and I'll PM it to you. However all units have been sent the course booklet with all course dates for upcoming year in it, your Training Major will have been the recipient for this. Any updates are via e-mail. They are sent regularly, and the contact list is comprehensive. I can't imagine that your Trainer hasn't got this, and it shouldn't be down to you to book/enquire about this.
  6. msr

msr LE

Your TM is one bone idle individual.

7. bona fide bone idle

Getting a recruit to book his own courses, whatever next ?
  8. Forgive me if I am wrong but I understand MOD 5 to be the old name for what is now Post Commissioning Training. As a result it is perhaps the Training Major seeing if said young officer has got anything about him to get himself on a course that he needs in order to promote or mobilise. If, as a young officer, you can't see your way to booking yourself on a course then there is perhaps something wrong.

Obviously all of the above predicated on the fact that I have the correct interpretation of Mod 5.

Exeter RTC don't run any PO or post commissioning training, you have to go to Aldershot or Telford.
  9. msr

msr LE

Booking courses is a centralised function for a reason and your TM has admin staff to make it happen.

Otherwise every man and his dog would be an underwater knife-fighting ninja...

10. Yes - in part but in this instance he has been told to go away and book the specific course and one would assume that he was also told to come back and tell the TM when he has done so.

If this is indeed an officer course then the TM is merely asking a TA officer to do what regular officers are frequently asked to do as part of their Junior Officer Leadership part of the OCD process.

If the TM was asking every Tom, Dick and Harry to go away and book his own course then I would agree that that would be a recipe for chaos but there is no suggestion in the original post that this is the case.
  11. msr

msr LE

The difference being we don't have access to the big red book of courses, nor the intranet, unless actually at the TAC. Hence the original poster's question and the reason why the TM has admin staff.

12. Equally, just to add to the mix, it is as much the role of the RTC (OTW) to track relevant and suitable individuals to ensure they fulfil the established training requirement. The OTWs role does not finish at TACC.

I thank you.
  13. Assuming I am correct and he has been told to do this as a bit of an initiative test then the information is not hard to find.

I give you ...... tada.......ArmyNet

A quick Exeter RTC search comes up with what is, in the scheme of things, a very good home page, with a list of all courses taking place (and when), contact details - it also informs you that the Commanding Officer has a BSC - well done him.

If the TM was setting him an impossible task then I would agree that this should be left to the admin staff - however this is a very useful tool in seeing if said YO has anything about him, given the issues you raise about no red book or intranet.

Alternatively he could also ring the number that Bangalore may or may not have given him in his PM referred to in the 4th post of this thread.

Or we could just spoon feed our young officers.

What the meekat said.
  14. msr

msr LE

Even if you commission at OTC then transfer to a TA unit?

15. I don’t agree with spoon feeding our YOs, but I think it is more the principle of the matter.

The YO should be taught from an early stage that there is a right way to go about things, a procedure that the entire unit works to. If YOs start to think they can get round the normal system because the TM thinks it is ensuring some initiative training, then it is no wonder YOs get themselves in so much trouble annoying PSIs/SNCO due to ‘initiative’.

The problem is the Adjt is responsible for booking Officers on courses and it might seem below him to bother about a 2Lt, but it’s his job, and the onus shouldn’t be placed on the new officer. After all, the 2Lt may have a job where he can’t take the time out to search for these things during the working day, and we shouldn’t be asking any TA soldier to do TA work in civy job time. The employers won’t like it and we as an organisation have a hard enough time trying to convince them that the TA is a good idea and not a drain on their resources.