Exercising the logistic chain

Best not to get me started....

The "log chain" has been utterly decimated at each and every stage over the last 20 years and there is no let up to that. We routinely have non-loggies filling DCOS posts in Bde HQs and the MOD is hell-bent on contractorising everything non teeth arm.
I've seen drivers trying to do suppliers jobs and vice versus.
On Telic 11 I was wondering why a Cpl working in the stores location didn't seem to know what to do. Turns out she was a Chef.
Although they still found time to have a volleyball competition while asking for extra bods due to being behind in their work.

ugly

LE
That’s fine for resup within that unit/BG, but I don’t really think that needs exercising. It’s from the unit back that problems occur.
Its throughout, if units are getting war scale supplies for an ex then they would realise the troops aren't going to shove it all in a daysac

ugly

LE
On Telic 11 I was wondering why a Cpl working in the stores location didn't seem to know what to do. Turns out she was a Chef.
Although they still found time to have a volleyball competition while asking for extra bods due to being behind in their work.
Managers that dont, seen it always and all ways in the army!

Excluding the old corps ftx in BAOR at what point and to what extent is the logistic chain exercised. Is the ammo and rations ever issued all the way from depot to trench? Does the RLC ever get to exercise as per war role? Do unit's even deliver fresh hot food in the field anymore?
Operational CSS is much bigger than just the RLC, and in short, no it isn't exercised properly, if at all. To conduct a proper meaningful joint supply chain exercise, projecting over a coupling bridge and responsive to a dynamic 'customer' exercise requires a fair degree of technical architecture, resource, people, vehicles etc and is very expensive. Furthermore, there is nearly nobody in defence with that degree of strategic, through operational to tactical experience to validate such an exercise - I can think of one two star and a couple of one-stars and OF5s, but that's about it. Sure, there are plenty of folk that have been on exercises (mainly crap with limited log play), and likewise lots who've been on ops but neither are really appropriate for war-fighting logistics. Nick Carter has done his best to hollow out logistic structures against prescient advice, my only consolation is that I'll be long gone from the army before the log bluff is called.

Its throughout, if units are getting war scale supplies for an ex then they would realise the troops aren't going to shove it all in a daysac
In fairness the size of the virtis Bergen is surprisingly educational

Project Payne has still a lot to answer for

HERETIC! If we did that, and it didn't work, we wouldn't get the required training output and value from the overall exercise objective, so we'll just 'magic move' the loggie shite in the same way as we'll ignore the lack of real world CIS connectivity by running the exercise at UNCLAS so we can communicate over t'internet and by mobile phone.
that "magic move/resupply" is best known as the G3 Stategic Hop In Time" or G3 SHIT for short.

Best not to get me started....

The "log chain" has been utterly decimated at each and every stage over the last 20 years and there is no let up to that. We routinely have non-loggies filling DCOS posts in Bde HQs and the MOD is hell-bent on contractorising everything non teeth arm.

There is never, ever time money or desire for anything but the most cursory dabble in logistics, either at the tactical or strategic level.

When it comes to cuts it is the CSS are that gets battered and entire capabilities have been sacrificed in order to keep some county regiment or other hanging on in there.

From toilet paper (lack of) to more serious stuff (GW1 - Why can't I get my tanks fixed?) the teeth arms led British Army have utterly failed to live up to their oft declared mantra that "logistics are really important"

And for you @stacker1 the rot set in when the ink dried on the LSR.
Repeated for emphasis!

Quads bring their own logistic problems as well, mainly transporting them on public roads. Also, as well as training the logistic tail has anyone deployed our super dooper IT and used it in the field as per the publications?

ugly

LE
Repeated for emphasis!
I remember an active edge when the qm was a bollocked for sending the four tonners to a local depot for gas rations whilst we deployed in the sgts mess bus. The qm was good but instead of highlighting the lack of coordination of supplies and lack of transport it showed that the qm didn't know that the local rct regt would deliver the goods and that the war system wasn't understood widely enough

I remember an active edge when the qm was a bollocked for sending the four tonners to a local depot for gas rations whilst we deployed in the sgts mess bus. The qm was good but instead of highlighting the lack of coordination of supplies and lack of transport it showed that the qm didn't know that the local rct regt would deliver the goods and that the war system wasn't understood widely enough
I know a lot of QMs used to hoard stuff because they couldn't rely on the chain to get them their requirements in time.

I know a lot of QMs used to hoard stuff because they couldn't rely on the chain to get them their requirements in time.
Ah, the classic 'you can't have it because someone might need it' from the window of 'No'.

Ah, the classic 'you can't have it because someone might need it' from the window of 'No'.
Nah that's just storemen (normally not loggies) being bellends. QMs used to board all kinds of other shit (Including obsolete stuff) because they have experience of the RLC organising a ******* fun run on tour instead of issuing kit. Body armour was quite popular. They even held on to the filler that was E0 because it was better than nothing.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
In the mid 1980s we acquired BILS "Bricks In Lieu of Simmo" after my boss at 1(BR) Corps wrote a paper that suggested that "the supply of Simmo should be sufficient to test the logistic chain, not the other way round"
Amazingly BBQs made of white blocks appeared in the gardens of many MQs

read that quickly and saw boobs

I recall the KBR tank transporter bid and thinking that its all going to hell in a hand cart, just in time doesn't work even organisations that spout lean need stores for supplies.
I think I've said it before, but in my experience "just enough, just in time" usually ends up as being "a day late and a dollar short".