Exercising the logistic chain

ugly

LE
Excluding the old corps ftx in BAOR at what point and to what extent is the logistic chain exercised. Is the ammo and rations ever issued all the way from depot to trench? Does the RLC ever get to exercise as per war role? Do unit's even deliver fresh hot food in the field anymore?

Excluding the old corps ftx in BAOR at what point and to what extent is the logistic chain exercised. Is the ammo and rations ever issued all the way from depot to trench? Does the RLC ever get to exercise as per war role? Do unit's even deliver fresh hot food in the field anymore?
Herrick 12 all the ration assassins were in Bastion, the only people to have chefs were the booties in Inkerman.
Not sure about your question on ammo, where else would soldiers get it from on tour? Unless you mean exercise, In which case it's mainly Simmo on CT2/3 exercises on an area about half the size of a football pitch (real ammo storage is supposed to have a massive area). The last CT2 I went on we had a fire fight over the ammo area if that had happened for real there is a good chance you would have seen SSgt Stacker1 breaking the 3 minute mile.
The logistic chain is **** for a number of reasons, a main reason is the bellends in charge would rather we practised anything other than supply. 4LSR for example couldn't get enough of bayonet practise shortly before Herrick 6, that came in really handy in the storehouse in KAF.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
So little more than lip service then. If I re all both Monty and Storming Norman rated logistics as war winning and vital. How can we forget so quickly

Outside of ops the best place for exercising the logistic chain is BATUS where 3rd line to echelon is condensed into a small(ish) area. They even deploy a bath and laundry unit.

So little more than lip service then. If I re all both Monty and Storming Norman rated logistics as war winning and vital. How can we forget so quickly
Do officers (In peacetime) get a pat on the back because the supply chain on exercise works or do they get praised that loggies look like the steely eyed killers of the night, all cammed up and doing section attacks?

Outside of ops the best place for exercising the logistic chain is BATUS where 3rd line to echelon is condensed into a small(ish) area. They even deploy a bath and laundry unit.
It's fairly static from the main camp though. Ask people to set up from scratch and they struggle.

Herrick 12 all the ration assassins were in Bastion, the only people to have chefs were the booties in Inkerman.
Are you sure?

Inkerman was on route 612, sangin (a nightmare to resup), Jackson and Pharmacy road also had chefs, but the yanks took over Sangin on Herrick 11.

It's fairly static from the main camp though. Ask people to set up from scratch and they struggle.
Used to do it regularly when 6 surprise was in Gutersloh.

An essential part of AT training is setting up field storage sites (Ex Brown Fields is a double bastard). Do suppliers train for this as well?

Used to do it regularly when 6 surprise was in Gutersloh.

An essential part of AT training is setting up field storage sites (Ex Brown Fields is a double bastard). Do suppliers train for this as well?
We are supposed to. You'll be lucky to find an AT in an ammo troop or an ammo trained supplier because most Troops no longer hold ammo so AT are used elsewhere and suppliers can't get the courses because they don't need them for Simmo.

Are you sure?

Inkerman was on route 612, sangin (a nightmare to resup), Jackson and Pharmacy road also had chefs, but the yanks took over Sangin on Herrick 11.
Yeah I was with guards but did an attachment with the booties. The guards were cooking all their own meals. (Including bread)

We are supposed to. You'll be lucky to find an AT in an ammo troop or an ammo trained supplier because most Troops no longer hold ammo so AT are used elsewhere and suppliers can't get the courses because they don't need them for Simmo.
6 and 9 supply used to have ATs, is that no longer the case?

6 and 9 supply used to have ATs, is that no longer the case?
Don't know about them. I don't know if they still have ammo. The last regiment I went to didn't have a AT captain or AT Sgt in the ammo troop as they don't hold ammo. A supplier cpl who had done the ammo supervisor course set up the ammo area on exercise.
It's not just ammo we have material troops that don't have any material.

Because it’s not a sexy subject and having a viable logistics train is expensive in peacetime.

We forget a lot of things like not taking the band along when we’re kicking about in somebody else’s country. We’ve forgotten to take mortars out on ops, because we didn’t think we’d need them. We give guys kit that the first time they see it is on ops.

Similar thing has happened to our Corps, the ability to practice and get it wrong has disappeared in favour of papering over the cracks. I blame the move away from Ptarmigan as none of our officers need to know about Comms.

Don't know about them. I don't know if they still have ammo. The last regiment I went to didn't have a AT captain or AT Sgt in the ammo troop as they don't hold ammo. A supplier cpl who had done the ammo supervisor course set up the ammo area on exercise.
It's not just ammo we have material troops that don't have any material.
They are meant to request support from 11 Regt if there are no in house ATs.

They are meant to request support from 11 Regt if there are no in house ATs.
I think AT are 40% undermanned so have better things to do than go on a **** tech exercise where they instead of teaching the correct way to care for ammo they can defend against infantry attacks, do casevac drills and wear tons of cam cream despite huge lights all over the area.

Because it’s not a sexy subject and having a viable logistics train is expensive in peacetime.
I don't think expense is the main reason, we still spend time in the field we just rarely learn much.
As shown in both Iraq and Afghanistan the cost in monetary terms is high when people don't have a clue what they are doing with stores and occasionally soldiers lose their lives while some penises are organising charity events instead of doing some work on tour.

I don't think expense is the main reason, we still spend time in the field we just rarely learn much.
As shown in both Iraq and Afghanistan the cost in monetary terms is high when people don't have a clue what they are doing with stores and occasionally soldiers lose their lives while some penises are organising charity events instead of doing some work on tour.
Those MBEs don’t earn themselves.

ugly

LE
they can defend against infantry attacks, do casevac drills and wear tons of cam cream despite huge lights all over the area.
I'm feeling this very strongly, I do agree, whilst infantry basic skills are important you still need to be able to do your job and therefore must practise it. The reality isn't likely to be section attacks but defending a convoy and first aid!

ugly

LE
As was evidenced by PB's running out of ammo and rations in the fighting! Or coming damn close to it!