exercises at weekends

hammerhead

Clanker
Hi, I just wondered how many times a month regular infantry battalions or companies go on exercises, I know the reserves probably do one proper exercises a month.

Oh, ok then. Exercises at sub-unit level may be twice yearly, Mon-Fri if you're lucky. Sat-Sat if you're not.

There may be a Regt/Bn exercise annually if there is:

1. Money in the pot.
2. Enough vehicles available from Ashchurch.
3. Enough rat packs in the stores.
4. Enough blank to give everyone 2 rounds each. (True story. Happened to me frequently in the REME).

Basically, some minor league stuff will happen but, unless you're in the frame for BATUS, not a vast amount. Not these days anyway.

Oh, ok then. Exercises at sub-unit level may be twice yearly, Mon-Fri if you're lucky. Sat-Sat if you're not.

There may be a Regt/Bn exercise annually if there is:

1. Money in the pot.
2. Enough vehicles available from Ashchurch.
3. Enough rat packs in the stores.
4. Enough blank to give everyone 2 rounds each. (True story. Happened to me frequently in the REME).

Basically, some minor league stuff will happen but, unless you're in the frame for BATUS, not a vast amount. Not these days anyway.

Zoinks - honestly?

Sometimes in the 90's, it seemed like we could be away half the year, especially if you were the type that put your hand up.

3/4 sqn/regimental exercises. I don't know why we bothered with these because we never actually did anything or moved anything. Just moved in, scrimmed up and moved again in a day or two. Rinse and repeat for 3 weeks.

Generally, we'd do at least one BATUS and a couple of firing camps at Hone, plus anything big like Ulan Eagle, plus support for other people's exercises which may or may not see us under scrim - most often not.

Zoinks - honestly?

Sometimes in the 90's, it seemed like we could be away half the year, especially if you were the type that put your hand up.

3/4 sqn/regimental exercises. I don't know why we bothered with these because we never actually did anything or moved anything. Just moved in, scrimmed up and moved again in a day or two. Rinse and repeat for 3 weeks.

Generally, we'd do at least one BATUS and a couple of firing camps at Hone, plus anything big like Ulan Eagle, plus support for other people's exercises which may or may not see us under scrim - most often not.
Meh. This is from the REME perspective but attached to various Arty units it was true up to a few years ago.

I'd agree that there was more exercises in the 90s (especially the AMF) but then we weren't hurling units round the globe like confetti in a gutted Army.

Hi, I just wondered how many times a month regular infantry battalions or companies go on exercises, I know the reserves probably do one proper exercises a month.

You'll generally do prolonged exercises at CT2+ (company to battle group strength exercises) once or twice a year (your company or battalion might do a couple of weeks exercise in Sennelager or Salisbury plains or a ~2 month OTX in BATUS / BATUK/ FIRIC, Salisbury etc.)

It depends a lot on your role (reaction or adaptable forces, light role or armoured) though you're working to a 3 year cycle (sort of) now that we're drawing down from the HERRICK cycle (enduring ops) of a year's personal development, a year building up to CT3 and then a year held at readiness for whatever (support reaction forces etc).

CT1-2 are usually tick in the box exercises that need to be done yearly so that your company's ready for a CT3/4 or OTX.

D

Deleted 4886

I always wondered in the Regs why we had to Military Training ITDs at the weekends- a bit silly really.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer

You might want to define what you mean by a "proper" exercise..

Latest Threads