Exercise Bike Flywheel Weight?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by carlbcfc, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to lower the impact, but keep up the hear rate.

Im looking at excercise bikes for the home on ebay, but the problem is im not sure what resistance is good for me being 6 2".

Last thing I want to do is get something and find its too bloody easy.

A few ive seen are here Tesco Bike

And this one ive saw for £60 elsewhere Bike

Anyone know what flywheel is decent for home use?
  2. No one here know what a good spec to go for is?
  3. The resistance does not come from the weight of the flywheel. Height has little to do with leg strength.

On most exercise bikes (which IMO are all pretty crap unless you're spending big bucks on a decent spinning machine) the resistance comes from an adjustable belt wrapped around the perimeter of the flywheel.

Much better to get a sturdy road bike that fits you well and a turbo trainer.

In any case, aerobic performance on a bike comes primarily from turning a lighter resistance faster. I recommend anything between 90-130 rpm and then adjust the resistance according to target HR zone.
  4. Would'nt you be better joining a good gym? They'll have better EB's than you can buy.
  5. Sound advice there. Spinning classes are awesome.
  6. My bold dont waste your money on buying a bike, get down a local gym which does spinning classes, these cheapo bikes dont feel right at all
  7. Spinning classes are much better than using an exercise bike on one's own, which can quickly become boring.

Or maybe that was just me... :oops:
  8. I have a home gym, punch bag, and I do buy a 30 day gym pass when I need it. I ran the roads till recently when I started to get hip pain. I then started using the treadmill in the gym, which brought what I think is Compartment Syndrome on (see my thread HERE)

I was doing 1 hour+ on the treadmill, which soon turned into 20 mins, and the rest on the bike due to the ache.

Reason for looking at a home bike is I feel I can dedicate more time to it. It is simply to maintain cardio, and burn calories, without the impact.

Just not sure what size flywheel for my size. I know you said height does not matter dragstrip, but a lightweight bike is no good to a 15st man.
  9. Do a search and buy a Tunturi with a big f*ck off flywheel. They look totally bone, but they are really cleverly designed - a big gear and a heavy flywheel feels like the road, the geometry is pretty good as is the saddle.

I found one in the street but (stupidly) junked it after a couple of hundred yards. Awkward sods to carry.

The one below has a 23kg flywheel - you don't get that these days. It's the old sh*t-looking design that they use in the physiology labs which actually works. The design guy at Tunturi - used to be something like Ari Putvonen (?) - knows his stuff.

With a bit of effort you could probably get one for next to free if you picked it up. Loads of them are serving as clothes horses, and angry women will happily dispense with them when the porky (non) user is at work.
  10. Cheers gobby, ill hunt one down now.

As you see in my other thread, I seem to have done myself a chest injury too. Im told not to train but surely a stationary bike cannot hurt my chest..

Suspect Intercostal Muscle Pull
  11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Gym is about £70 a month though many have an off peak useage rate for £50 - join for three months and try out all their stuff then buy one similar to that you like using most?

Found I quite enjoy the rowing maching overlooking the ladies after class stretching area myself. Oddly enough I have never rowed in my life before.
  12. Gym around here is £30 per month, and I do use it, just fancied a bike at home as I could give it more time.
  13. Not unless you stand up and start throwing your weight about, I would have thought.

[I'm not expecting sympathy :lol: but my "brilliant" shoulder blade injury meant that (remarkably) I had no problem doing back or arms this morning, but as soon as I tried to push anything away from me it was feckin agony. On the plus side, I've had three cracking indoor bike workouts in the last three days - when years of training means you're in bits, getting the hang of beasting yourself on the bike opens up the possibility of good CV fitness without too much extra wear and tear. The "kids" don't seem to like screaming legs, so it's nice to be still able to kick their arses at something].
  14. Good advice fm Dragstrip imo. I have this set-up and at 16.5 stone it all works well, although I've been warned that the bike frame may eventually warp. It is useful as I can pull it in front of the telly to watch a box set or similar, equally I can take it outside on a nice summer's day or even separate the bike and get on those hills. However I have to fit a separate tyre to my rear wheel for use on the trainer. A turbo trainer can be a bit noisier (than a static bike) but it's not too bad and it's component parts are easier to store than a static one.
  15. Warp, no; completely rust through, yes. You'd be amazed at how rapidly you can desstroy a steel frame and any steel components by sweating on them (paint or no paint, the sweat eats through it all!).