Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXCLUSIVE: Carpeted: Dozens of cadets at Sandhurst broke coronavirus rules in a drunken party at the prestigious military academy

The 1950s are calling, they want their lifestyle back.

You'll have to explain this one.. I was under the impression that in the 1950s the domestic norm was for the female to stay at home and do the cooking? As @Brotherton Lad is clearly a male have I missed something?

There was none of this nonsense when I bought my commission

Sorry it's not a decent paper, but stand by for a degree of fall out.

Dozens of cadets at Sandhurst have been disciplined for breaking coronavirus rules by holding an alcohol-fuelled party at the prestigious military academy, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.
Army chiefs launched an investigation after trainee officers went on a drunken spree in the Old College, which faces the famous parade ground where graduates take part in the passing out ceremony.
It is understood that about 50 cadets, who had been ordered to stay in three separate 'platoon bubbles', got drunk together before throwing alcohol that glowed in the dark over each other and smashing up a TV.

I do hope anyone 'carpeted' bothers to read the legislation and demand a courts matrial

A quick perusal of Section 73 the enacting legislation for the 2020 regulations (Ie. the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984) would reveal that the regulations only apply to Crown Property where the appropriate authority (in this case the MoD) agree with the local authority (county or district council) that the 1984 Act will apply. Given the unlikelihood of that happening, then in this case its almost certain that the regulations did NOT apply to the military academy at the time of the alleged offence.

if anyone wants me, I'll be in the Barrack Room annotating my copy of the Army Act with relevant JSP references.

You'll have to explain this one.. I was under the impression that in the 1950s the domestic norm was for the female to stay at home and do the cooking? As @Brotherton Lad is clearly a male have I missed something?

As ever, he is the exception to the rule. However, popping to the shops daily and purchasing newspapers are reminiscent of days gone by.

I do hope anyone 'carpeted' bothers to read the legislation and demand a courts matrial

A quick perusal of Section 73 the enacting legislation for the 2020 regulations (Ie. the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984) would reveal that the regulations only apply to Crown Property where the appropriate authority (in this case the MoD) agree with the local authority (county or district council) that the 1984 Act will apply. Given the unlikelihood of that happening, then in this case its almost certain that the regulations did NOT apply to the military academy at the time of the alleged offence.

if anyone wants me, I'll be in the Barrack Room annotating my copy of the Army Act with relevant JSP references.
Woah woah woah there.

Don't tell me there are *holes* in the AGAI system?
Was it not handed down from God Himself to his representative on Earth - the Adjutant?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

There's always a good reason to turn a blind eye. It's a matter of personal judgement.

Which is what guides any commander. In this instance, I think that the CoC called it right. These guys and girls are going to have to learn to call it right themselves in a matter of months. And they need to learn to uphold the rules too.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Agreed but would private blogs and his mates be viewed any differently or would it be guardhouse time? :cool:

I'll let you know. I suspect there will be some bollockings. Not so much for the beer but for publishing it.

It's hardly the end of the world and we've all been there. So, who am I to pass judgement?

I'll let you know. I suspect there will be some bollockings. Not so much for the beer but for publishing it.

It's hardly the end of the world and we've all been there. So, who am I to pass judgement?
I fear now it's "outside the wire" the punishments may increase... Or any freedoms any of the cadets had will disappear, even for this not involved

QRK2

LE
I fear now it's "outside the wire" the punishments may increase... Or any freedoms any of the cadets had will disappear, even for this not involved

Frankly under the CV19 restrictions they have had very few freedoms to remove. I'd sure there will be some minor consequences for these 'high jinks' but nothing of the scale of the WGs who ended up in Colly or the Blades who have been RTU'd for very similar offences. That said they are but phase 1 trainees in some senses. Colly and (back termed) soldier on would seem about equitable, but can't have that sort of thing for officer class old boy.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

These people need looking after because they are ours. Obviously it's a cock-up, but still there's a welfare issue here.

Commanders who get caught breaking the rules lose the moral authority to punish their subordinates for similar offences.

Losing credibility with those you command has far reaching implications.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Further thoughts:

The whole point of being a junior officer is to understand that you have to push the envelope of possibilities and you need to learn when you push it a tad too far and, ideally, just stop the moment before it becomes screamingly obvious.

Commanders who get caught breaking the rules lose the moral authority to punish their subordinates for similar offences.

Can’t argue with your second paragraph but these are first term cadets, not yet commanders or indeed commissioned officers.

ETA - Can’t argue with your first paragraph either! But I trust you see my point?

Yes Himmler. Ordnung! Orders vithout kestion!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

They're not Commanders. They're not even 3 months into a 1 year course in the middle of a pandemic. They will learn the lesson.

QRK2

LE

True, but that's not been not an issue that had notably worried the British Army much over the years. TBF there has been a little more cognisance of this recently but not exactly anything revolutionary.

Sorry it's not a decent paper, but stand by for a degree of fall out.
So to clarify, someone got in touch with the media offering a story which brings the reputation of the academy into disrepute and they chose The Daily Mail. Obviously not a serving soldier.

Latest Threads