Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXCLUSIVE: Carpeted: Dozens of cadets at Sandhurst broke coronavirus rules in a drunken party at the prestigious military academy

After some quiet reflection I mellowed from indeed wishing to see No1 FP administered, to something far more gruesome.

Stand to in a fire trench on Christmas morning, followed by crawling over the training area to fetch kit not up to standard and hoofed after inspection is the stuff of nightmares.
Proper character building.

Following a large scale episode of high spirits in MPA in 1988, during which some or most of the furniture was the subject of a bit of rearranging, and when someone may have been given a slap, 59 Commando RE, the main protagonists, were banished from the accom blocks and had to live in the field for a substantial period of their (winter) FI tour.

The SSM was immediately sent home and the OC's career became less than stellar.
NCOs were busted and juniors suffered the ultimate sanction of being posted out after the tour.
You cant blame me! I was there the year before. I hated that sh!thole with a vengeance. I was SATO and OC Ord Coy and only the presence of the Argylls (and accompanying Thunderflash post-EX incident) and the R Irish who had an excellent OC and a quite outstanding example of what a CSM should be kept, me slightly sane.

where do you go after Commandant’s warning? It was used as a disciplinary measure when I was there, I suppose you could chalk it up to ‘Having a failure in values and standards that need addressing?’

We had a fairly... interesting... officer in the late 1980s/early 90s; unfortunately, he was plausible and could be very charming; talked a good game. He claimed to have been binned from RMAS because of an incident involving a thunderflash and a toilet, and apparently then decided to join the TA. He apparently got binned at his first attempt at TACC because on the confirmatory exercise, he realised that there was a pub within easy reach, and he fancied a pint. Which he might have got away with, had the DS not had the same idea (again, his claim). His second attempt at TACC saw him scrape through.

But, as it turned out, he was an untrustworthy sh!t - he somehow managed to bluff the CO, took over briefly as OC; then we discovered that the reason that we were training in the local area more often than normal, was because he was knocking off some lass who lived around the corner from the TAC.

Divorce, drunk-driving conviction, assault conviction for punching out the bloke he reckoned had called the cops on him for driving while p!ssed, the whole thing was a soap opera :( If he'd actually been competent, you could have argued that he was "charming rogue who's got Character, just the sort of chap you want in wartime" - in reality, he was just crap, and the battalion sacked him as soon as they figured it out...

Tuffty

War Hero
Aware of thread drift - outflow is 100% an issue and we need to sort Retention.

But inflow is in a good place. AFC H and RMAS are well oversubscribed. ITC Catterick is over 80% full and ATR P/W are both over 85% full.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Sorry but 80% and 85% isnt quiet 100% is it. Plus how long does it take to train these soldiers to the standard of those voting with their feet. I work in an industry were people hide behind figures every day to make things look decent. Soz not buying it

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A jailing at RMAS isn’t really anything more than a couple of hours humiliation, the colour party got jailed on a rehearsal for sovereigns parade when I was there.
Backterming was the big threat, and that was for what we considered to be relatively minor stuff (it also meant we had the fear of god put into us early on). Although 50 at once would probably overwhelm the system.

A couple of medics and at least one padre were marched away on my PQO.
The medics from the square for inability to tell left from right.
The padre for refusing to carry a wooden rifle*.

All were back by dinner time.

*It was proposed as a solution to Padres not carrying weapons, he suggested it looked ridiculous, strangely enough all 4 Padres managed to break theirs shortly after the jailing for refusing to carry them

I'd have thought that was a fairly essential skill for medics, at least so they know which limb they should be chopping off.

Is that why they get the anaesthetist to label bits of patients with a permanent marker before surgery?

I'd have thought that was a fairly essential skill for medics, at least so they know which limb they should be chopping off.

Is that why they get the anaesthetist to label bits of patients with a permanent marker before surgery?

It affected the RAMC ORs also: a soon-to-be RAMC SSgt on my All Arms Drill Course was thus afflicted.

He was further blessed by being tall, gangly and with specs. So uncoordinated was he that, when carrying out the 'Saluting To The Flanks Whilst On The March' period he managed to pause the movement so that he was balanced on one leg whilst the other was raised and bent at the knee: at the same time, his head, right arm and hand were in the correct position of saluting to the right whilst his left arm was swung fully forward, fingers lightly clenched, thumb on top.

Give it a go. It's difficult to replicate.

He was crap, bless him. Still, the RAMC had decided that he would be a SSgt and he will train new recruits.

. . . he passed, but with a codicil that his drill periods were closely supervised.

The padre for refusing to carry a wooden rifle*.

All were back by dinner time.

*It was proposed as a solution to Padres not carrying weapons, he suggested it looked ridiculous, strangely enough all 4 Padres managed to break theirs shortly after the jailing for refusing to carry them

Perhaps they should have been 'offered' a very heavy shepherds crook as an alternative.

I would have thought that a Rhodesian would have been busy with his own war in 1980? Abeit there was a ceasefire from 28 December 1979. They still had a military coup to plan up to March 1980.
Nah there were quite a few Rhodesians in the UK AF at that time.

HCL

LE
Well, gentlemen, this has been a most illuminating thread. It most definitely has shone a light into the corner where the cross and medals attitude has been lurking for quite a few years contradicting the right-on credentials of the modern British Army.

A few of the gentlemen here have made plain their displeasure at the thought that these 50 officer cadets are going to be allowed to soldier on to be commissioned and to be permitted to carry a sword. Thank you, gentlemen, for still possessing the honour that a sword is meant to symbolise.

As for those who have deflected, obfuscated,and unbelievably rationalised their defence of these officer cadets I'm not sure if I'm surprised that you've closed ranks around your own. Many false trails have been laid in this thread, all attempting to lead away from the original charge that should be laid against them: that they disobeyed a written direct order (for it will have been published in Orders); the second charge that cannot be publicly laid against them is that they have been caught, and the evidence against them is even more damning for they unwittingly dobbed themselves in -- truly, to an old Cold War warrior, I cannot begin to describe how flabbered my gast is. (I might add in passing that @wetsmonkey and I rarely share a common thought on Arrse but on this thread, I stand right alongside him.)

It would be a fool's bet to place money on all of these 50 being sacked, leaders and followers all together, because it would definitely be a major scandal that RMAS would rue as it would call into question who are ultimately responsible in the CoC for how and why these future officers were selected -- the proverbial effluent sprayed around would stick to some fairly well-braided tunics. I wouldn't even venture a token fiver that one of these 50 is [no] longer destined for the WGs; I would sincerely hope that the Army wouldn't be foolish enough to carry on to award him his leek but this is the British Army and it does have previous for such...

I'll leave you with the words of Arrse's very own mighty smiter:

It is not about their potential - it is about the potential impact of their misdemeanour.

Forgive them, Lord, for they should know what they do --- but that's what Corporals and Sergeants are for, init.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Well, gentlemen, this has been a most illuminating thread. It most definitely has shone a light into the corner where the cross and medals attitude has been lurking for quite a few years contradicting the right-on credentials of the modern British Army.

A few of the gentlemen here have made plain their displeasure at the thought that these 50 officer cadets are going to be allowed to soldier on to be commissioned and to be permitted to carry a sword. Thank you, gentlemen, for still possessing the honour that a sword is meant to symbolise.

As for those who have deflected, obfuscated,and unbelievably rationalised their defence of these officer cadets I'm not sure if I'm surprised that you've closed ranks around your own. Many false trails have been laid in this thread, all attempting to lead away from the original charge that should be laid against them: that they disobeyed a written direct order (for it will have been published in Orders); the second charge that cannot be publicly laid against them is that they have been caught, and the evidence against them is even more damning for they unwittingly dobbed themselves in -- truly, to an old Cold War warrior, I cannot begin to describe how flabbered my gast is. (I might add in passing that @wetsmonkey and I rarely share a common thought on Arrse but on this thread, I stand right alongside him.)

It would be a fool's bet to place money on all of these 50 being sacked, leaders and followers all together, because it would definitely be a major scandal that RMAS would rue as it would call into question who are ultimately responsible in the CoC for how and why these future officers were selected -- the proverbial effluent sprayed around would stick to some fairly well-braided tunics. I wouldn't even venture a token fiver that one of these 50 is [no] longer destined for the WGs; I would sincerely hope that the Army wouldn't be foolish enough to carry on to award him his leek but this is the British Army and it does have previous for such...

I'll leave you with the words of Arrse's very own mighty smiter:

Forgive them, Lord, for they should know what they do --- but that's what Corporals and Sergeants are for, init.

Don't worry about it.

the original charge that should be laid against them: that they disobeyed a written direct order (for it will have been published in Orders);

For which the disciplinary measure would, and probably will be, ROPs. As is the due process for the trainees/recruits at this point in their training (less than 1/3 through their Basic Training)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

halloumikid

Old-Salt
The Realpolitik is that RMAS trg is costly, not to mention the difficulty and interminably slow pace of actually getting people into the Academy thanks the Army’s and Capita’s hurdles. It is a topic captivating the Arserati but the press has moved on.

I am also led to believe COVID positive cases in Academy Hq may slow the wheels of military justice even more.

I know some on here would like them dragged up and down the Wishstream attached to the Adjt‘s charger but it ain’t going to happen. Action will happen but don’t hold your breath........ It’s the Army 2020, not 1920.

I am sure BL will give us the read out when it’s done.

Halloumikid

(Edited for spooling.)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Realpolitik is that RMAS trg is costly, not to mention the difficulty and interminably slow pace of actually getting people into the Academy thanks the Army’s and Capita’s hurdles. It is a topic captivating the Arserati but the press has moved on.

I am also led to believe COVID positive cases in Academy Hq may slow the wheels of military justice even more.

I know some on here would like them dragged up and down the Wishstream attached to the Adjt‘s charger but it ain’t going to happen. Action will happen but don’t hold your breath........ It’s the Army 2020, not 1920.

I am sure BL will give us the read out when it’s done.

Halloumikid

(Edited for spooling.)

Actually, I won't. I'm not in the chain of command and it's not my place to do so. I'll only say the matter (more than one to be honest) is in hand.

RMAS currently has a waiting list, so the Army/Capita drama of several years ago has been fixed. It's not too far off £100k at capitation rates.

Doing training with Covid around is challenging, as you have obviously heard, but it's still happening. That's why the Army has multiple levels of responsibility plus a bit in reserve.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Actually, I won't. I'm not in the chain of command and it's not my place to do so. I'll only say the matter (more than one to be honest) is in hand.

RMAS currently has a waiting list, so the Army/Capita drama of several years ago has been fixed. It's not too far off £100k at capitation rates.

Doing training with Covid around is challenging, as you have obviously heard, but it's still happening. That's why the Army has multiple levels of responsibility plus a bit in reserve.
No worries. I wasn’t expecting a breakdown by £SD!

I’ll have to go to my best source - the girls who run the Costa in Sandhurst Hall!

Latest Threads