Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXCLUSIVE: Carpeted: Dozens of cadets at Sandhurst broke coronavirus rules in a drunken party at the prestigious military academy

A jailing at RMAS isn’t really anything more than a couple of hours humiliation, the colour party got jailed on a rehearsal for sovereigns parade when I was there.
Backterming was the big threat, and that was for what we considered to be relatively minor stuff (it also meant we had the fear of god put into us early on). Although 50 at once would probably overwhelm the system.

Are they all still off for Christmas leave?

That'll learn 'em.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty sure I've seen an RSM whose LSGC was strangely "delayed" go on to an LE commission and end up as full Col. More difficult these days I suspect. But supports your point.

Yea when I rocked up to btn I knew an LE OC who made at least Lt Col that had done time in Colly when an OR. Wonder if it's the same bloke? :smile:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yea when I rocked up to btn I knew an LE OC who made at least Lt Col that had done time in Colly when an OR. Wonder if it's the same bloke? :smile:
Colly works well for a lot of wayward soldiers.

A jailing at RMAS isn’t really anything more than a couple of hours humiliation, the colour party got jailed on a rehearsal for sovereigns parade when I was there.
Backterming was the big threat, and that was for what we considered to be relatively minor stuff (it also meant we had the fear of god put into us early on). Although 50 at once would probably overwhelm the system.
Mid 80s.

I don’t remember back terming ever being mentioned as a disciplinary sanction? On the grounds of competency, for sure, disciplinary, not in my experience.

That said, the likelihood of anyone considering committing an act of bellendery sufficient to warrant back terming was vanishingly small. Apart from anything else, common sense dictated that 50 people getting bevvied up to the extent that TVs are getting smashed when you’d been told not to was never going to feature on any list titled “things the grownups aren’t going to get wind of”.

Generation X anybody?

It would be excessive and counterproductive to jail or back term students for this very high profile misdemeanor, but cancelling block leave and spending the time out on the training area in NBC kit digging in, would be a good straightener with the bonus of squaring away their basic skills.

Something to help them reflect on and adjust their attitude.

It would be excessive and counterproductive to jail or back term students for this very high profile misdemeanor, but cancelling block leave and spending the time out on the training area in NBC kit digging in, would be a good straightener with the bonus of squaring away their basic skills.

I think you may be onto something with this.

Tell me please, is this sort of correctional activity reserved solely for Officer/Officer Cadets or should this be equally employed for OR's too in the same circumstances?

The way you were posting earlier on I got the impression that you wanted collective No 1 Field Punishment for them. :)

However I have seen your suggestion carried out on 2 occasions. The first was in 1975 when the Bde Com 4 Gds Armd Bde kept the Lt to Capt practical promotion exam candidates in the field for an entire weekend to sharpen up their skills after a quite frankly appalling performance. Of interest I wasn't one of those invited to remain behind. The unexpected long weekend p!ssed off the Bde Major and his staff no end as they were also invited to remain behind to DS this cluster. Apparently this contributed to the overall jolliness of the weekend,

The second was 9 Para Sqn RE at NITAT in 1980 when they missed a Command Wire laid up in the middle of a stream. They didn't want to get their feet wet . The Sqn Comd was a Rhodesian and best pleased didn't anywhere near describe his state of mind. Of course as NITAT staff we were also invited to remain behind. Oh how my then SWMBO laughed.

Let’s not forget that formal action in the form of conviction and imprisonment is a fairly permanent stain on someone’s career and CV for after service. Extras, back terming and other unofficial punishments aren’t.

That should be judiciously used and one section of the military shouldn’t be exempt because of their status.

Mid 80s.

I don’t remember back terming ever being mentioned as a disciplinary sanction? On the grounds of competency, for sure, disciplinary, not in my experience.

That said, the likelihood of anyone considering committing an act of bellendery sufficient to warrant back terming was vanishingly small. Apart from anything else, common sense dictated that 50 people getting bevvied up to the extent that TVs are getting smashed when you’d been told not to was never going to feature on any list titled “things the grownups aren’t going to get wind of”.

Generation X anybody?

where do you go after Commandant’s warning? It was used as a disciplinary measure when I was there, I suppose you could chalk it up to ‘Having a failure in values and standards that need addressing?’
I do remember one of the DS having a punch up with a cadet on a night out and the cadet being backtermed and the Capt being binned. But it was many years ago and they were a different company so I may have got it wrong.

i think we’re on ‘Xennials’ or ‘zoomers’ in terms of generation nomenclature. Millennials are in their mid-late 30s now. Gen X, late 30s-40s.

The way you were posting earlier on I got the impression that you wanted collective No 1 Field Punishment for them. :)

However I have seen your suggestion carried out on 2 occasions. The first was in 1975 when the Bde Com 4 Gds Armd Bde kept the Lt to Capt practical promotion exam candidates in the field for an entire weekend to sharpen up their skills after a quite frankly appalling performance. Of interest I wasn't one of those invited to remain behind. The unexpected long weekend p!ssed off the Bde Major and his staff no end as they were also invited to remain behind to DS this cluster. Apparently this contributed to the overall jolliness of the weekend,

The second was 9 Para Sqn RE at NITAT in 1980 when they missed a Command Wire laid up in the middle of a stream. They didn't want to get their feet wet . The Sqn Comd was a Rhodesian and best pleased didn't anywhere near describe his state of mind. Of course as NITAT staff we were also invited to remain behind. Oh how my then SWMBO laughed.

After some quiet reflection I mellowed from indeed wishing to see No1 FP administered, to something far more gruesome.

Stand to in a fire trench on Christmas morning, followed by crawling over the training area to fetch kit not up to standard and hoofed after inspection is the stuff of nightmares.
Proper character building.

Following a large scale episode of high spirits in MPA in 1988, during which some or most of the furniture was the subject of a bit of rearranging, and when someone may have been given a slap, 59 Commando RE, the main protagonists, were banished from the accom blocks and had to live in the field for a substantial period of their (winter) FI tour.

The SSM was immediately sent home and the OC's career became less than stellar.
NCOs were busted and juniors suffered the ultimate sanction of being posted out after the tour.

Last edited: