Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXCLUSIVE: Carpeted: Dozens of cadets at Sandhurst broke coronavirus rules in a drunken party at the prestigious military academy

I suppose herein lies the rub. Officers pretty much can’t go to jail, and soldier on. Thus it’s always going to look inequitable when the same offence results in loss of liberty vs a stern bollocking.

Of course if the OC mandates that 2Lt Fcuknuts makes a £1000 contribution to the Museum Fund, maybe Pte Cockwomble would prefer 7 days’ clink to that entirely voluntary suggestion ( :) ).

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose herein lies the rub. Officers pretty much can’t go to jail, and soldier on. Thus it’s always going to look inequitable when the same offence results in loss of liberty vs a stern bollocking

Yep. Junior officer indiscretions do sometimes get lightly punished but, once you're a captain or above, almost any formal punishment will result in a permanent change to your career trajectory if not an outright dismissal. It may look like a slap on the wrist but the consequences can be irreversible.

ORs can go to colly for 11 months and still become an RSM eventually. Get a letter of displeasure (or whatever they're called) on your file as a senior captain or major and your chances of becoming CO pretty much evaporate.

Last edited:
Yeo. Junior officer indiscretions do sometimes get lightly punished but, once you're a captain or above, almost any formal punishment will result in a permanent change to your career trajectory if not an outright dismissal. It may look like a slap on the wrist but the consequences can be irreversible.

ORs can go to colly for 11 months and still become an RSM eventually. Get a letter of displeasure (or whatever they're called) on your file as a senior captain or major and your chances of becoming CO pretty much evaporate.
Pretty sure I've seen an RSM whose LSGC was strangely "delayed" go on to an LE commission and end up as full Col. More difficult these days I suspect. But supports your point.

Yeo. Junior officer indiscretions do sometimes get lightly punished but, once you're a captain or above, almost any formal punishment will result in a permanent change to your career trajectory if not an outright dismissal. It may look like a slap on the wrist but the consequences can be irreversible.

Indeed. I’m in two minds as to whether that situation is good or bad. In 1950, absolutely a good thing. In 2020, not so much. The same, from both officer and OR perspectives.

If an officer has erred, but was not dishonest, and was not so out of order that dismissal was warranted, but the consequences of their actions would warrant detention, what is so wrong with that?

Same for an OR. Their error of judgment might be punished by nearly a year at Her Majesty’s pleasure. In an era where their peers may well hold degrees, why would that OR‘s career not be curtailed in the manner of an officer (hitherto)?

I know somebody who made Maj Gen who got a Severe Dig as a Captain.

I am picking up from this thread that SUS (Soldiers Under Sentence) of 28 days or less are no longer confined in unit guardroom. Is that right ?

Oh for the days of taking over the Guardroom and signing for "the live bodies" of several miscreants. They made tea for the Guard Commander and NCO i/c Marching Reliefs throughout many a wintry German night.

The blackboard, with the names of SUS and close arrest men up there. Close arrest men deprived of belts, ties, boot laces and anything else which might be a suicidal ligature, Also the names of Confined to Barracks/RoP men who were to turn up at Last Post and Reveille dressed in best BD drill order.

The early calls book which stank of cooking fat, picked up from the Earlies cook who signed it every morning.

The Unusual Occurrences Book, which contained all the most boring, regular, repetitive events.

The Picquet Officer visiting the Guardroom and signing the Guard Report.

SUS being rifted up to the cookhouse for meals, Close Arrest men trying to keep up with loose boots and trousers falling down, straight to the front of the queue, special separated tables, gobble gobble.
Did the officers purchase their commissions by chance and was this before or after flogging had been abolished?

There’s an element of practicality in not jailing guys long term in training I’d guess? They miss too much of the course.

The standard punishment for YOs once Commissioned was Extras. This meant back to back Orderly Officer duties which was a pain as kit had to be parade standard and you were essentially confined to barracks. The only thing that was missing was bars on the window and being rifted about the place.

Collective misdemeanour meant an Adjutant’s Parade which was not much more than a ritual humiliation/ message sending exercise.

More serious and it was a very rapid posting, often within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Tuffty

War Hero
Does it matter, the way things are going we wont need Officers anymore as they wont have any Men to command with the PVR rate as it is. Dam i forgot all those leaving will be joining the Reserves (NOT)

Does it matter, the way things are going we wont need Officers anymore as they wont have any Men to command with the PVR rate as it is. Dam i forgot all those leaving will be joining the Reserves (NOT)
Aware of thread drift - outflow is 100% an issue and we need to sort Retention.

But inflow is in a good place. AFC H and RMAS are well oversubscribed. ITC Catterick is over 80% full and ATR P/W are both over 85% full.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Storm in a teacup. It's not like the someone who drove a motorcycle down the main corridor of BRNC ripping up the highly polished parquet flooring.......

Storm in a teacup. It's not like the someone who drove a motorcycle down the main corridor of BRNC ripping up the highly polished parquet flooring.......

Charlies I hear you say?

RTU'd

War Hero
Pretty sure I've seen an RSM whose LSGC was strangely "delayed" go on to an LE commission and end up as full Col. More difficult these days I suspect. But supports your point.
Mel? Did QM then Col as CO Rehabilitation Support Unit in North, now doing good working in a charity?

Covid is a storm in a teacup.

A very public teacup, where everyone is expected to screw the bobbin.

Like it or not, there are higher expectations of the great and the good.

High jinks doesn't cut it when world headline restrictions are rodded off.

There’s an element of practicality in not jailing guys long term in training I’d guess? They miss too much of the course.

The standard punishment for YOs once Commissioned was Extras. This meant back to back Orderly Officer duties which was a pain as kit had to be parade standard and you were essentially confined to barracks. The only thing that was missing was bars on the window and being rifted about the place.

Collective misdemeanour meant an Adjutant’s Parade which was not much more than a ritual humiliation/ message sending exercise.

More serious and it was a very rapid posting, often within 24 hours.

A jailing at RMAS isn’t really anything more than a couple of hours humiliation, the colour party got jailed on a rehearsal for sovereigns parade when I was there.
Backterming was the big threat, and that was for what we considered to be relatively minor stuff (it also meant we had the fear of god put into us early on). Although 50 at once would probably overwhelm the system.

Latest Threads