Excessive clutch use - he needs to stop

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I have an elderly customer who had problems reversing his car in
I installed a hinged wooden post with a microswitch as you touch it a red light comes, if you go too far back a second switch trips a bell
Simples

I have an elderly customer who had problems reversing his car in
I installed a hinged wooden post with a microswitch as you touch it a red light comes, if you go too far back a second switch trips a bell
Simples
Bit more high-tech than my uncle, who effectively has this:

1655047005791.png

I'm sur it is SOP in paces like Canada or the northern USA, or Scandinavia to turn the seats on nd keep them on all winter.
Getting into the R Rover on a sub zero morning the bum heater and heated steering wheel induce an almost childlike rush of instant comfort. To the extent that I missed the heated wheel in the last one,( it being a poverty spec HSE).
This one has got “ climate seats” that heat OR cool your arse with air con.
Decadent moi ?

As herself helped with the purchase of the family jalopy, she stands in the garage to utility room doorway, and watches me reverse in, shouting STOP, at the appropriate moment. The MK1 eyeball, fitted and fit for purpose...If it works, don't fix it!.... Guv!;)

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I've got sensors on my car, but, just in case, have a batten of wood on the garage floor.
KISS!
'er indoors was on a course at work. When leaving, she reversed out of her parking space, observing as you should. One of the senior partners decided to reverse out of his space at the same time and 'er indoors and he collided.

On exiting the vehicles his first words were "Sorry, my parking sensors are not working".

Knock for knock. Some body work damage to 'er indoor's 10 years plus wagon which we didn't bother getting fixed. A grand to fix a small scratch on his Beemer which in reality probably went on fixing his parking sensors.

Hopefully they fixed his mirrors at the same time.

'er indoors was on a course at work. When leaving, she reversed out of her parking space, observing as you should. One of the senior partners decided to reverse out of his space at the same time and 'er indoors and he collided.

On exiting the vehicles his first words were "Sorry, my parking sensors are not working".

Knock for knock. Some body work damage to 'er indoor's 10 years plus wagon which we didn't bother getting fixed. A grand to fix a small scratch on his Beemer which in reality probably went on fixing his parking sensors.

Hopefully they fixed his mirrors at the same time.
And indicators.

Everyone is different but long term deaf will likely just drive like anyone else. Dad couldn’t hear he was revving the tits off the car and had no rev counter to give him a clue.

In his earlier days he’d been an advanced driver and could chuck a car around with the best of them.
Had a bloke pull into one of our workshops with a fcuked transmission. He was driving normal speed but it was revving out about 4K and we could hear it before he was on the visual radar.

We asked him why he couldn't hear the excessive revs, turns out he was almost deaf. Dunno how that affected his eyes being unable to see the tachometer.

Some people just shouldn't be driving.

That is pretty much story of my late father in law.

Loss of general coordination so that use of clutch was just one too many variables to cope with.

Went to an auto and that was fine for a while but then it became that you could track his progress around town by the blaring horns, flashing of lights and shouted abuse.

Eventually fell to Mrs B to tell him to pack it in after he put car through wall and into neighbours garden.

"It just would not stop!" = classic accelerator/brake confusion.

Neighbour emerged to find car with wheels still furiously spinning on remains of front lawn whilst engine bounced off rev. limiter
Had a 92 year old bloke drive into one of our workshops once, literally. Got confused in the car park and had his foot on the accelerator while putting the car into gear. Left a huge burnout straight all the way into the workshops parts room as he drove through the wall and ended up with the car completely in the building. Lucky the workshop controller wasn't at his desk, he would have been killed.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Some people just shouldn't be driving.
Had a 92 year old bloke drive into one of our workshops once, literally. Got confused in the car park and had his foot on the accelerator while putting the car into gear. Left a huge burnout straight all the way into the workshops parts room as he drove through the wall and ended up with the car completely in the building. Lucky the workshop controller wasn't at his desk, he would have been killed.
There's a retirement village just down the road from me.
Enclosed, one gate.
The houses opposite have armcos barriers outside!

Enclosed, one gate.
The houses opposite have armcos barriers outside!

Enclosed, one gate.
The houses opposite have armcos barriers

‘Elderly driver, automatic car’

A combat indicator for paramedic’s everywhere for cars crashed into the most unlikely obstacles. The largest RTC I ever attended in terms of number of vehicles damaged was caused by a single elderly female in an auto 4x4. Likewise a good proportion of cars embedded in houses and all the cars embedded in shop fronts.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
My cars are autos through chance rather than choice! And they are both the 2000 year of design( ish +/-3 years) and to be honest there are adequate? Much better than the early type 3 speeds, but if you go on the Nürburgring on a touristinfahrt then do not expect to come off smiling with the Joys of Mechanical sympathy!

The more modern 7/8 or 9 speed auto boxes fitted to the most recent vehicles, Especially the diesels are a revelation, the BMW 520d for instance!

The other negative about owning and driving an Auto is that if you have to drive long distances with lots of gear changes in a commercial vehicle with a manual box you find that the muscle strength in your left knee is diminished (probably the equivalent to a right handler having a five finger shuffle with his left, fine at the start but the cramp puts you off after a while!?).

You okay?

No need to end every sentence with an exclamation mark old chap(ess).

I wonder if those things are a case of vehicle designers just doing something because they can. Has anyone actually asked for heated seats? Has anyone actually sat in their car, even in the middle of winter, and said, "Christ, my arse is freezing"?
When I ordered my current car, I specced it with heated seats throughout because of my 93 year old mate. He is never warm enough and as I have him in my car a couple of times a week, it made sense to have them fitted.
It is a lovely feeling to jump in on a winter morning and turn the seats on.
In keeping with the subject of the thread, he used to be a copper in the flying squad as a driver. He used to take a work car out and get it up to 100mph every day, "Just to keep his hand in". Sitting in a car with him "using the available roadway" is interesting. He keeps to his lane, etc. when other cars are about, but will use any available road space to go around bends when the road is clear.
He is currently still driving, but has finally realised that he isn't that safe anymore and he has decided to get rid of the car when the insurance runs out at the end of the year. We have been trying to get him to give up for the last 3 years.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs

A combat indicator for paramedic’s everywhere for cars crashed into the most unlikely obstacles. The largest RTC I ever attended in terms of number of vehicles damaged was caused by a single elderly female in an auto 4x4. Likewise a good proportion of cars embedded in houses and all the cars embedded in shop fronts.
Yep. big problem.
My father put scrapes on every corner of his car, and ran it into the wall at home.
Engine surge as car hits temp... and his journeys were all a mile or so...

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Only had one experience with an automatic and that was driving my boss' Disco 3(?) into town to have it valeted.

Poxy thing wouldn't shift when you asked it to. Had it in drive, pressed the accelerator and honestly, kids on scooters were overtaking me. Then, it picked up in a lump and hurtled me towards the queue of now stationary traffic.

I found the worst thing about it was its unpredictable power delivery. Maybe it was me, but I felt like I didn't have enough control.

I'm sure I would've got used to it over time, but I couldn't hand the keys back fast enough.

Blogg

LE

Former elderly neighbour was a nightmare:

Whole bay full of trolleys fell victim in a Waitrose car park

Reversed car through own garage door

Rear ended and number of near misses because sometimes "forgot" it was an automatic and stabbed at brake with left foot as if clutch

Demolished part of our front wall whilst attempting a 96 point turn

Got his wife to put car on road because he could not get it off driveway without hitting something or getting stuck.

Didn't help he had always been an arrogant prick and just got worse and worse

End of his driving came after ploughing into a bus which had wholly unreasonably "suddenly stopped". At a bus stop.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
A 77 year old woman crashed her car into the Bordon community centre four years ago. The area involved has amphitheatre style steps/seating around it, so she was going at some velocity in order to clear the steps and hit the building. Luckily no one was killed but the old dear had to be airlifted to Southampton Hospital.

Only had one experience with an automatic and that was driving my boss' Disco 3(?) into town to have it valeted.

Poxy thing wouldn't shift when you asked it to. Had it in drive, pressed the accelerator and honestly, kids on scooters were overtaking me. Then, it picked up in a lump and hurtled me towards the queue of now stationary traffic.

I found the worst thing about it was its unpredictable power delivery. Maybe it was me, but I felt like I didn't have enough control.

I'm sure I would've got used to it over time, but I couldn't hand the keys back fast enough.
TD1 V6 cylinder lump "spooling up" maybe?
AKA "turbo lag"...then "wallop"
Just a guess.

ugly

LE
Myself I prefer a manual for off road work - not a fan of relying on Hill decent controls and electronics (especially where Lucas are involved.

I did like my old mans shogun - Automatic transmission - but you could select it so that gear changes were manual.
I’m an auto man mainly because of off road work
Climbing steep slopes of wet grass and needing to change up without losing momentum was solved by going automatic!
An added bonus was it stopped 0A from wrestling with fifth gear on longer journeys, frankly she terrified me!

Latest Threads