• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Excellent series of shooting related photos

Whilst having my mid-afternoon brew I clicked on the Telegraph for a read and found the link to some photographs where the photographer has captured the moment of impact of a simple air rifle pellet.

The photos are pretty spectacular to say the least, especially the one where he has fired a pellet at a razor blade gripped in a vice - you can see the pellet being cut in half :D

Ugly / Ex-stab - your turn with something a little bigger than a pellet methinks :wink:

lancslad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...from-an-air-rifle-hits-an-object.html?image=7

"Incredible" is the word. There are rifling marks on the pellet so it would have been rotating along its axis when it hit the blade. The result would not have been as shown. I'll test it at the weekend but I don't believe it.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Very impressive - I'd call that art.

EX_STAB said:
"Incredible" is the word. There are rifling marks on the pellet so it would have been rotating along its axis when it hit the blade. The result would not have been as shown. I'll test it at the weekend but I don't believe it.
Is the twist rate of an air-rifle barrel about 1-18"? Being such a shallow twist I would have thought it could be possible. That's less than 20 degrees rotation around it's axis which I would have thoght would not spin the two halves away that rapidly. I will stand corrected (and frequently do)!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
JonnoJonno said:
EX_STAB said:
Is the twist rate of an air-rifle barrel about 1-18"? Being such a shallow twist I would have thought it could be possible. That's less than 20 degrees rotation around it's axis which I would have thoght would not spin the two halves away that rapidly. I will stand corrected (and frequently do)!
Also, as the pellet hits the static blade, the rotation will stop, thus you won't really get any 'funny shaped' pieces.

If you look at the blade, there is a slight distortion which could be the result of a strike....

.... Heads off to workshop with airgun & razor blade!

My wife has just seen these and now wants prints of the fruit ones hung up in frames in the kitchen.

They are incredible photos.