Excellent series of shooting related photos

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by lancslad, Mar 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst having my mid-afternoon brew I clicked on the Telegraph for a read and found the link to some photographs where the photographer has captured the moment of impact of a simple air rifle pellet.

The photos are pretty spectacular to say the least, especially the one where he has fired a pellet at a razor blade gripped in a vice - you can see the pellet being cut in half :D

Ugly / Ex-stab - your turn with something a little bigger than a pellet methinks :wink:

lancslad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/5049293/High-speed-photographs-by-Alan-Sailer-capture-the-moment-a-pellet-fired-from-an-air-rifle-hits-an-object.html?image=7

2. Excellent photos! The "ballistic" orange jelly is impressive.

3. "Incredible" is the word. There are rifling marks on the pellet so it would have been rotating along its axis when it hit the blade. The result would not have been as shown. I'll test it at the weekend but I don't believe it.
    [​IMG]

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Very impressive - I'd call that art.

5. Is the twist rate of an air-rifle barrel about 1-18"? Being such a shallow twist I would have thought it could be possible. That's less than 20 degrees rotation around it's axis which I would have thoght would not spin the two halves away that rapidly. I will stand corrected (and frequently do)!

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Also, as the pellet hits the static blade, the rotation will stop, thus you won't really get any 'funny shaped' pieces.

7. If you look at the blade, there is a slight distortion which could be the result of a strike....

.... Heads off to workshop with airgun & razor blade!

8. My wife has just seen these and now wants prints of the fruit ones hung up in frames in the kitchen.

They are incredible photos.

9. awesome,
    I really want to try that out!