Excellent new German WWII Drama online - Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Good CO, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

edit: no longer on ZDF (14.01.16) but apparently available on Netflix:

for German speakers, one of the best bits of TV I've seen for a while available on ZDF. The battle scenes are straight off Band of Brothers, although not quite so well done, and the crossing paths of the 5 main characters a bit contrived, but all in all superb:

Trailer: "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter" - Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter - ZDFmediathek - ZDF Mediathek

3 x 90 minute episodes.

(my German is pretty weak, but good enough - it's not particularly complex dialogue, with no long strategic discussions or such like)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Clicked the link and it won't allow me to watch it until after bloody 20.00hrs....

3. Full episode one available on YouTube. But get it while you can - German copywrite rule are draconian, and I can't imagine it'll be there for long.

4. I missed it, but that's a good thing as the TV is just the anteroom to hell. I watch the news and then take out my bad temper on my german neighbours and pub regulars.

You can however watch it direct in ZDfs mediathek Sendung Verpasst? - ZDF Mediathek

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

yes, sorry I didn't make that clear. The ZDF Mediathek is a bit ropey compared to iPlayer but it is extensive and has some great stuff. The SS documentaries are also very good.

6. Thanks for recommendation.
    Skim-watched it. Great production.

(Serious bit. Don't read if not interested! Am always conscious that Germans will make dramas like this re-writing the facts and making out what nice boys the Wermacht were for example and it was 'all the SS and Gestapo.' Scenes with them taking Russian prisoners despite losing two of their own in an attack seem a bit like propaganda to me. I'm sure it fits in with the story but that's what we get... German boys being gallant. As if any German divisions on the Eastern Front did all they could to avoid harming the locals. Sure there were isolated incidents where they were just lovely. The massive death toll would suggest otherwise.
    Also shows them getting on really well with the Ruskies, paying them handsomely for doing their chores etc...hey! why was everyone so mean to the German Army eh? Lovely bunch of guys.

The problem with copying Band of Brothers style is that those soldiers were in ONE rare place and time in history where they could be the good guys. Doesn't happen often. Killing the bad guys was the only option as they were such a bunch of determined bastards. Bastards I worry as time goes on will be excused and their actions water-down and justified.)

Anyway. Very well produced. I'll watch again. Maybe I will lighten up about the propaganda bit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

good film, never understood a word of it . waiting for tiel 2

8. They may well dub it into English and try and sell it to the gay mafia of the british broadcasting companies.....in which case it will probably be retitled!

My guesses are:

1. Achtuuunnnnggg Spitfeuer!

2. Mein Vater und Mutti var ownleeee wallowing ze orders...!

3. Achtuuunnngggg Lancaster!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

the second part gets more grim. Little brother shooting a female and probably-not-partisan Russian prisoner for example. As an aside the two brothers in the same platoon (one a Lt, the other a Pte) seemed pretty far fetched. That is probably my single biggest gripe so far about realism suffering in the interests of drama.

Band of Brothers? Excellent, but the good guys are just a bit too good.

10. I think you missed the whole point of the thing TBH.

Spoilers ahead BTW

The 5 friends are normal people, same as you or me, some more patriotic and gungho than others but all ready and willing to do their bit. They go off to war much as our troops did and still do.

The german army was welcomed as liberators in Russia at the start of the war and according to most accounts behaved themselves pretty well - to start with.

Watch parts 2 and 3 to see how the experiences change the characters though and how it all goes pretty much tits up for all of them. The patriot realises the whole thing is a fuckup, the not overly keen younger brother turns into a killer (though he redeems himself a bit in the end) the nurse who believes the propoganda and turns in a Jew realises it was wrong and the one who works with the system gets topped by the local Nazi, who gets away with it all and is seen becoming part of the local government with the full conivance of the occupying powers.

A story more of what and why Herr and Frau Average got upto during the war which lead on to the documentaries and talkshows that they did afterwards asking the questions "what did our mothers and fathers do and why"?

Pretty good all told.

Edit to add. The bits where the Jewish bloke was shown to be in as much danger from the Polish/Russian partisans as the Germans was slightly overdone I think but not overly.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ever notice the Germans always focus their WWII flicks on the Eastern Front?
    seldom see the west or N Africa

12. Because western Europe & N. Africa were pretty small beer, comparatively.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the bridge die brucke original and remake are against americans IIRC.

das boot was against the west.

films might have an issue with being truthfull though as most were SS, old timers, medically unfit (battalions full of special diet requirements for example) and child battalions like the hitler youf division. might show the third reich in a bad light.