Excellent Dorset indoor ranges

For those among us who would rather go down the pub than lie down in the wet grass with a cold easterly freezing all the feeling out of your fingers - I give you http://www.thetunnel.co.uk/ .

Went down yesterday to zero a new scope for my CG 6.5 x 55 and my brothers Remington 700.
We received a very friendly welcome ( even though we were 15 minutes late ) and the paper work was checked and done quickly and efficiently.

There are four ranges of varying length ( see website ) though we only needed the 100m.
The facility has only been in existence a couple of years , and is possibly unique in its design.
When a local by-pass was built , it made a gently descending, straight lane under a railway bridge redundant.
They have used the railway supporting arch as the facility entrance. From there on down 150m 'ish, they built side walls and a tunnel roof, then backfilled around and over the lot.
Damp-proof membranes, insulation and sub-soil drainage must have been done very well as the interior was pleasantly warm and dry. The interior everywhere had a modern, bright, clean feel to it.

Got the rifles zeroed in comfort and had time to try out the .22 at this range as well.

Open to non members on Saturdays and will cost you £ 25 per person/ hour and well worth it I reckon.

I award it 4.5 expanding Mushroom heads out of 5.

Ive also been , had a training day there , facilities are very good , however £25 P.P.PH seems very steep to me, £30 P.P.PD would be more in line.

Ive also been , had a training day there , facilities are very good , however £25 P.P.PH seems very steep to me, £30 P.P.PD would be more in line.

This is partly the attitude that prevents there being more world-class open-access indoor ranges in the UK - compared to here, £25 ph is cheap.

Maybe I'm going native here, but if you want quality ranges, you have to be prepared to cough for it. Otherwise, you can content youself with makeshift mudbaths for peanuts.

Bisley, on the other hand, manages to be both expensive and antediluvian.

As a relative newcomer to this deer hunting malarky, I give more value to your opinion than mine.
Having spent most of my time after the Army working in Civil Engineering, I can see that they have spent a shed load of beer tokens developing this facility, and in the last couple of years.
Hence the price maybe ?

This is partly the attitude that prevents there being more world-class open-access indoor ranges in the UK - compared to here, £25 ph is cheap.

Maybe I'm going native here, but if you want quality ranges, you have to be prepared to cough for it. Otherwise, you can content youself with makeshift mudbaths for peanuts.

Bisley, on the other hand, manages to be both expensive and antediluvian.

My club fees are a third of the tunnel and we have a covered firing point 100 yard range , no fee and we also get the use of a MOD range 100 - 600 yds firing points with butts , £15 P.D , sure it rains on the 600 yard range but no mud baths , shooting in doors is as far from real world shooting as you can get (unless you visit wild west saloons a lot or play at being Them ) no arm chair shooters either.

Brünig Indoor runs you about £35 an hour for an electronic target at 300m, or 52 quid an hour for a 100/150m non-electronic lane.

My nearest commercial one runs you 31 quid an hour for a 25m rifle or 24 quid an hour for 25m pistol.

Brünig Indoor runs you about £35 an hour for an electronic target at 300m, or 52 quid an hour for a 100/150m non-electronic lane.

My nearest commercial one runs you 31 quid an hour for a 25m rifle or 24 quid an hour for 25m pistol.

Eeek , glad I shoot mainly in the UK.

We do have the local clubs, luckily, which are either 300m, 50m handgun, or 25m handgun, but they're open March-October, at best once a week around dinner time for a couple of hours. At worst, only a dozen shooting opportunities, including home matches.

Some of them can be very sensitive about anything other than the Swiss competition-appropriate firearms.

My club fees are a third of the tunnel and we have a covered firing point 100 yard range , no fee and we also get the use of a MOD range 100 - 600 yds firing points with butts , £15 P.D , sure it rains on the 600 yard range but no mud baths , shooting in doors is as far from real world shooting as you can get (unless you visit wild west saloons a lot or play at being Them ) no arm chair shooters either.

I was Joe public turning up to zero my rifle.
There are totally different charges for fee paying Club members which may or may not make it more reasonable .
I totally take your point about the differences in shooting indoors to outside, but if I want to set the rifle up to the best I can, removing windage , frozen fingers and chattering teeth from the equation must be an advantage.

ugly

LE
Glad to hear its up and running!

NSP

LE
Ah, the good ol' Thistle Hill Tunnel, as was. Went through it many a time in my formative years. Remember the improvement works, or rather the detour due to them, well. Had thought they'd dug the tunnel out to widen the A35. Nice to know it was lurking in the undergrowth just off the road, alive and well (as it were).

Found this, which may be of passing interest:-
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/l/lyme_regis_thistloe_hill_tunnel/index.shtml

Last edited:
I've shot there a few times with the .22s and will be going back with the CF2 for a play soon. It's a decent facility, nice and friendly as well as relaxed.

Eeek , glad I shoot mainly in the UK.

Think about it this way - if you're using decent ammunition, how much is that going to cost? 100 rounds of Tenex is about £20, the mileage is another £30 (it's an 80 mile round trip to my nearest outdoor range).

If I take the annual membership and divide by the number of annual visits, the idea of spending £80 instead of £60 a visit to shoot my summer league cards in a warm, dry, modern facility with electronic targetry, somewhere to chill that isn't a recycled shipping container, and indoor plumbing... rather appeals :)

Finally managed to have a go on the fullbore range today, the options are pay £25 for an hour or take out membership at £25 a month and shoot as often and for as long as you like (on any of the ranges), bit of a no-brainer if you live local. The range is cleared to .50 BMG which I understand makes it pretty much unique in the UK.

I know I'm fortunate to be where I am and many rednecks take up membership and never shoot. My fee's are $50 a year to the NRA to get all the insurance squared away and $50 a year to be in the club.