Excellent Article on Soldiers Stories from Helmand

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Andy_S, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Outstanding reporting from The Times' Anthony Lloyd in Helmand on 2 Rifles' tour. Vivid but sensitive, this is best work I have yet seen from the Afghan War.

On-target descripion of it all: the gruesome deaths and maimings caused by IEDs and the excitement of a contact; the confusion of firefights and odditiy of watching live drone kills; the decision-making processes of the officers and the combat stress; the sadness of loss and the defensive black humour; then trying to make sense of it back home in the English countryside.

Apologies if has been posted before, but definitely worth a read if you have not seen it.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6852533.ece

I hope Lloyd is considering a book. The first-hand accounts are being churned out by the truckload, but thoughtful, smart and critical observors - who know how to wield a pen with this skill - are thin on the ground.

2. Outstanding indeed. A very moving article. It seems that our armed forces are at war but the country is not.
    :x

3. Brilliant read.

4. Brings home the sacrifice these young men are making for us.

Made all the more poignant because I attended the Civic Reception for them at Liverpool Town Hall on Saturday.

Heroes All

Thanks 2 Rifles - I'm very proud to have been in your company

Dave

5. Brings home the sacrifice these young men are making for us.

Made all the more poignant because I attended the Civic Reception for them at Liverpool Town Hall on Saturday.

Heroes All

Thanks 2 Rifles - I'm very proud to have been in your company

Dave

6. Excellent reporting. It shows what our youngsters are capable of - they can hold their heads up in any company.

Most of the recruits I trained before I retired in 2003 have served in hot and sandy places. One of them (he is now a Cpl) is currently in Afghanistan.

They have all done their job brilliantly and I'm proud of them all.

Just keeping my fingers crossed that this lad comes home in one piece.

Rodney2