Excel Question - Filters and Dropdowns between Worksheets

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Interceptor, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a two-worksheet excel spreadsheet that I need help with.

The first worksheet is a cover sheet / welcome sheet. The idea is that users will choose one option from each of three dropdown menus to identify the department, section and team that they work in.

Once they have done that I want them to move to the second worksheet. This contains a couple of thousand of rows of equipment, but because they have identified themselves in the first worksheet, they will only see the equipment that is appropriate to their department, section and team. (Each row of equipment already has the appropriate department, section and team listed against it.)

What I want to do is make their selection in the first worksheet filter the second worksheet.

Can't do it, too hard, need help.
  2. I'm not really fantastic at spreadsheet's but i'm mid way through a course that is pretty excel heavy.

I think perhaps a DGET function may helpyou out, failing that an IF function perhaps?

If the information concerned isn't too private I could try and have a tinker with it myself if all else fails.
  3. access might be an option?
  4. msr

msr LE

When do you need it for?

5. Agreed. It can be done, but can take alot of planning depending on what your aim is
  6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Have a go with a a pivot table

They really are childs play for a user to use once set up correctly

Or you could try an autofilter?
  7. Thanks all. I'm going to skin this cat in a different way after speaking to my 1-up.
    It was supposed to be a neat little way of filtering a spreadsheet but it was taking much longer than simply filtering the spreadsheet manually, locking the cells and saving an individual workbook for each team.