• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Excel Parking - Parking Fine

Hi all

My frau and her carer were out in my car and exceeded a parking area for 22 minutes, both women did not have a clue even though signs were displayed, the question is Excel parking want to fine me, I have told them it was my wife and carer but they say tough basically, am I liable to pay, the wife says she cant remember which carer was driving on that day, what is the general concensus?

They can't fine you, they can only charge a reasonable fee. They will have to sue you for the money and they don't know who to sue. I'd tell them to get stuffed and sue me

Ignore them. These private companies are virtually powerless to pursue you and try to obtain any fine that they stipulate... Only pay any attention to the likes of parking tickets issued by councils etc.. That is why these private carpark companies go out of their way to make their tickets look, and read, as through they are an official council ticket.

They will bluster, they will write nasty letters - do not respond in any way. Ignore them. They will soon go away.

Didn't someone start a thread on this a while back, and get comprehensively fucked over by a few posters who thought private parking companies were the dog's wotsits?

In order to impose the charge, they'd have to convince a court that by parking that you'd entered into a contract with them to pay that amount. It's balls. They can sue for any losses sustained but that's it.

Private company - **** em! They will have to sue you to get the cash. Council/local authority and Police tickets are a different matter though.

M

MARTOK

Hi all

My frau and her carer were out in my car and exceeded a parking area for 22 minutes, both women did not have a clue even though signs were displayed, the question is Excel parking want to fine me, I have told them it was my wife and carer but they say tough basically, am I liable to pay, the wife says she cant remember which carer was driving on that day, what is the general concensus?
Just type parking fine into google and you will get lots of web sites with good advice.

Last year my MP went on record in the local paper advising motorists not to pay parking fines from the company that controlled the parking area in a certain part of town, sorry cant remember the name of the company.

Tickets from these private parking companies are basically un-enforceable. The tend to hit a town on a given day and dole out dozens of the things. If a tiny percentage pay they are quids in and won't worry about the rest. I have had several over the years, always ignored them and they go away. Like already said they have to prove who was driving. More hassle than it's worth for them.

Just because they have signs up doesn't always mean anything either. Round my way the parasites have been known to put signs up and ticket cars on bits of public road that have no parking restrictions by the local authorities. No right to ticket anyone parking there but it doesn't stop them. God knows how many unwitting victims will have just paid up without thinking about it.

Send them a polite reply, saying you are surprised and dismayed to be receiving a parking fine. Explain that the vehicle is in constant use, as your wife is disabled and driven by numerous carers. Obviously you do not keep a record of who was driving on certain days, but if they can provide you with CCTV footage, you would be happy to comply and pay the fine.

It is the driver who must pay, and it is the responsibility of the company to provide evidence of who the driver was.

You will no doubt recieve a shitty letter noting your reluctance to help them and that will be about it.

Just make a Polish name and address up - make sure the spelling and handwriting are shite and send it off. Failing that put:

Jo Yeates, Longwood Lane, Bristol, BS8 3TH :)

This is what i stick on car windscreens in supermarket car parks.

PRIVATE PARKING TICKETS - DON'T PAY!
IT IS NOT A FINE! YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING ILLEGAL!

This is an information page for the thousands of people who receive "tickets" from private companies in the UK ever day at supermarkets, retail parks, and in any other privately-owned carpark.

We are NOT encouraging anybody to openly flout parking restrictions on private land, or to refuse to pay reasonable charges for parking. Landowners have a right to make reasonable charges for the use of their land.

For advice specific to your case, you should visit the forums at FightBack Forums or Parking / Traffic Offences.

Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

1. What you should know about these companies

It is important to remember that private parking companies (or PPCs as they are often called) have NO OFFICIAL POWERS - that's right, none at all! They give out their "tickets" on the basis that you have seen the signs in their car park and that you have therefore agreed to a contract obliging you to pay a certain sum of money.

2. What happens to people who don't pay?

In 99.9% of cases, absolutely NOTHING! The company pays the DVLA £2.50 to get your address, and then sends lots of threatening letters. In the main, these letters can be safely IGNORED. The only way the company can actually force you to pay is by taking you to the small claims court, which costs them even more money. And they are by no means guaranteed to win! And they practically never do.

The two main reasons for this (among others) are the following:

- Only the person DRIVING the car could ever have agreed to any such parking contract. The company can only get the Registered Keeper's address from the DVLA: you don't have to tell them who was driving.

-Many of these charges are so extortionately high that they constitute a penalty, which is unenforceable in a consumer contract.

3. Can they affect my credit rating?

NO! The only way your credit rating could be affected by ignoring private parking companies is if you were taken to court, lost, and then still refused to pay. But they will not take you to court.

IN SHORT

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE tickets from private parking companies, they are not official fines.

The vast majority of the time, you can safely IGNORE the threatening letters, including those from debt collection agencies.

You DO NOT have to pay a penny of your hard-earned money to these companies. Remember that the chances of being taken to court are very slim indeed.

DO NOT IGNORE COURT PAPERS!
If you receive real court papers from a private parking company (very rare) then you should go to FightBack Forums or Parking / Traffic Offences for help defending the claim. Do not be afraid to sign up and ask questions regarding any paperwork you are not sure about.

Don’t believe the above? Watch a solicitor on Watchdog advising you what to do with the scam invoices.

YouTube - How to deal with Penalty Charge Notices issued by private companies

THEY ARE NOT FINES

Only the Police, Courts or Council’s can fine you. NOT a private company, please remember that.

Just follow the links and educate yourselves to this total scam.

DO NOT PAY THEM.

Here read this too to put your mind at rest as some of the letters they send out saying if you don't pay your credit rating will be affected, what a load of crap. The letters are tantamount to demanding money with menaces.

Judge says Excel parking fines illegal - Local - Mansfield and Ashfield Chad

£60 increasing to £100 by mid Jan, I appealed mentioned the wifes disability etc but they said tough
Yep, as I thought - the usual 'if this is not paid, enforcement action maybe taken blah blah blah' followed (possibly) by a letter from some knobthroat debt collection agency. Ignore it-they have little or no legal standing to base a civil suit on.

IF your conscience gets the better of you, then send them a £5 cheque with a covering letter saying something along the lines that this is your full and final settlement for a minor breach of contract.

..............plus a call to Trading Standards always makes you feel better, too.

Latest Threads