Ex US President dies

George HW Bush has died aged 94.
A spokesman for Bush confirmed the death.

Bush was the United States' 41st president and the son of former US President George W Bush.

This is from a news release, note the final sentence.

RIP. I actually thought he was a half decent president.
Certainly a man of his era, the cold war warrior who happened to be in the big chair when the Eastern block folded.

Famous for sharing Dan Quayle with a puzzled world And the world's most high-profile broccoli-hater.

Always struck me as a decent bloke.

94 years is a good run by anyones standard.
Not a bad leader of the free world by all accounts.

The US left will use this as an excuse to troll the right. Stand by for unfunny memes.

I like a bit of bush ------ but not too much----------ie --George W--He should have been Brazilianed-- as in Stockwell.

Last edited:
A very decent man, a true gentleman.

I recall back in 1986, after his time as Vice President and before he was elected President I spent 5 days in a command center for an event which included a number of protected dignitaries (including your PoW). People tend to chat and reminisce and all of the USSS agents present were going back and forth with stories about how nice Bush and his family were, how kind and thoughtful they all were to the agents. The only complaint was that Mrs Bush liked to go into woods and pick wild blueberries and in Maine there are black bears any place there are blueberries. The agents had to trek through the woods carrying 12 gauge Remington 870s loaded with slugs as a pistol would not stop a bear. They did say that in the evening after a blueberry expedition Mrs Bush would bake blueberry pies and call down to the guard shack to ask: "Could one of you boys come up to the kitchen and pick up a blueberry pie".

Bush did not let things interfere with favorite activities. Once (when he was POTUS) when fishing offshore with George W. his son's cast resulted in the hook going though the fathers ear. The agents on the boat immediately went into "injured President" mode calling for a helicopter etc. Bush's response was "The hell with all that, the bluefish are running, just push the hook through, cut off the barbed part with these pliers, back the hook out snd we can get some blues. (note for the unfamiliar; Bluefish is an oily fish that tastes a lot like mackerel. I don't like it but many in New England love it.

Last edited:
The late 80s, early 90s seem like such a different time compared to now. Bush was given the task of carrying on with the ending of the Cold War following from the end of Reagan’s presidentcy Although didn’t do enough to win back a second term in office.
Always struck me as an American version of John Major, conservative, respectful, generally a nice guy but didn’t really have the big personality that reached out to the voters.

A very decent man, a true gentleman.

I recall back in 1986, after his time as Vice President and before he was elected President I spent 5 days in a command center for an event which included a number of protected dignitaries (including your PoW). People tend to chat and reminisce and all of the USSS agents present were going back and forth with stories about how nice Bush and his family were, how kind and thoughtful they all were to the agents. The only complaint was that Mrs Bush liked to go into woods and pick wild blueberries and in Maine there are black bears any place there are blueberries. The agents had to trek through the woods carrying 12 gauge Remington 870s loaded with slugs as a pistol would not stop a bear. They did say that in the evening after a blueberry expedition Mrs Bush would bake blueberry pies and call down to the guard shack to ask: "Could one of you boys come up to the kitchen and pick up a blueberry pie".

Bush did not let things interfere with favorite activities. Once (when he was POTUS) when fishing offshore with George W. his son's cast resulted in the hook going though the fathers ear. The agents on the boat immediately went into "injured President" mode calling for a helicopter etc. Bush's response was "The hell with all that, the bluefish are running, just push the hook through, cut off the barbed part with these pliers, back the hook out snd we can get some blues. (note for the unfamiliar; Bluefish is an oily fish that tastes a lot like mackerel. I don't like it but many in New England love it.
It's funny how that fishing story aligns so well with the public image of both GBs. :)

The two sisters of a very good friend of mine (we joined the Regiment on the same day) worked for the Bushes as housekeeper and cook for a while.
They both said working for the family was a joy and a pleasure.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
94 years is a good run by anyones standard.
Not a bad leader of the free world by all accounts.

The US left will use this as an excuse to troll the right. Stand by for unfunny memes.
Because the right would never stoop that low *insert eyeroll* He always struck me as a decent man both in and out of politics.

Decent guy, who had a distinguished stint as a USN carrier pilot during WW2, recieving the Navy Cross, being only 18 in 1941

I sometimes wonder if his son was so keen to oust Saddam Hussein since some perceive that the failure to topple him in 91 may have cost GHWB a second term

From a more civil time in politics. And another increasing rarity: he served. RIP
Concur, they were certainly different times, but Politicians of that era didn’t have to contend with thousands of dullards or screaming banshees with social media devices thinking they know best. I’d suggest Politics has always been a pretty savage environment, it’s just that back in those days us great unwashed were not aware of a lot of the shenanigans involved, thanks to the lack of 24 hour news or the Internet.
Despite all that, Bush Senior did come across as a decent sort. RIP.

Sad but inevitable. Always struck me when he spoke in measured, calm & polite terms that he actually felt & believed what he was delivering. I wonder if I would dare sky-dive at any price when I'm more ancient that now. More is the pity his influences are not apparent in the White House today but as said, he was a man of the time, and times change.
One wonders what he privately thought sometimes of the utter village idiot that he sired.

Certainly a man of his era, the cold war warrior who happened to be in the big chair when the Eastern block folded.
Bush was a WW2 veteran with 58 missions under his belt and a DFC. Cold War Warrior, Piffle. :D

Famous for sharing Dan Quayle with a puzzled world
If they only knew how much more puzzling the world would become with the advent of The Shrub and Agent Orange.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
RIP Mister Bush Sr

Not just one who served but a 19 year old combat pilot who got splashed whilst flying in the Pacific.

Off.....caps, (stand still.)

RIP Mister Bush Sr

Not just one who served but a 19 year old combat pilot who got splashed whilst flying in the Pacific.

Off.....caps, (stand still.)
One of nine airmen shot down in that raid and the only survivor. The other eight were tortured, killed and ,apparently, eaten by the Japanese.

H.W. Bush only survived because his aircraft stayed airborne long enough for him to ditch some distance from the shore. There's film on the internet of him being picked up by a USN submarine.

Chichijima incident - Wikipedia

RIP