Ex-TA joining Regulars

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Crayfish, May 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, I was in the TA for about 6 months in 2011 and i'm thinking about joining the regulars. I never completed any forms of training as I injured myself on weekend 1 of Phase 1 and then again re-injured myself with the same injury when trying again a month or so later. As for training or exercises in the unit, it was a small unit and the highest ranking people there were a few Cpls for the majority of the time so training nights were just kicking a ball around the hall for an hour.

With the injuries and other commitments taking priority I decided to leave towards the end of the year and went in, handed in my kit and signed some form and then all ties were cut off with the TA. It was around October/November 2011 that I left but I received a P45 later in 2012 stating that my leaving date was in July 2012, over 6 months since I thought I had left.

I spoke to a recruiter at the beginning of the year and he seemed to think I would need some sort of discharge certificate but from reading around various websites it looks like TA don't get these documents.

The main questions I need answers are:
    Would a Subject Access Request form to the Army for my records be sufficient as documents of service and would it also state the reason for ending my service? As the P45 said my leaving date was a good 7-8 months after I thought I had actually left I don't really want to find out that the 'official' reason for dismissal was because I hadn't turned up for any training for half a year due to a balls-up with paperwork.

Thanks for any help.

2. Were you ever attested , and did you get an army number ?

3. What was the nature of your injury? I appreciate that it's been two years since your attempt to joint the TA, but I would ask yourself if you are physically robust enough to complete basic training.

I wouldn't worry about the difference between leaving and any 'official' termination date, it's a long way from most units to APC and the carrier pigeons always seem to be lazy.

4. Yep, was attested around the beginning of 2011 and received an Army number and MOD90.

I pulled my groin on the 1.5mile but carried on throughout the rest of the day on it thinking it wasn't anything major, next day went to do some more PT and within a minute I couldn't move that leg more than an inch off the ground. It never really healed and so pulled it again the second attempt, wasn't too long after that that I decided to leave.

I was young and stupid and didn't really prepare myself so ended up injuring myself, after leaving I haven't been active at all and the injury still persists after these 2 years, I try doing a short jog of only a couple hundred metres and it pulls. I know for a fact that i'm not in a position to complete training at the moment but then i'm looking at applying in a year or 2 after I sort this issue out and am fit enough to actually get through the training without having to worry about injuring myself again.
    The reason i'm asking about this now is that over the last year or so I have been seriously thinking about joining the Army and have decided it is something I definitely want to do in the not too distant future and want to make sure that if there are any loose ends from the TA then I want to clear them up ahead of time rather than being stopped along the application process multiple times.

Thanks for the help so far.

5. Ok so if you were attested, got a number uniform etc then you need to prove you've been "done" in JPA, hence the certificate.
    I'd imagine the civvy clerk at your last unit should be able to sort that out.

6. Twat of a thing a groin strain. I had a very minor one recently. Must have pulled it in the gym and not noticed. Day or two later, I decided to ignore the green cross code and dash across in front of a bus. Only to launch myself into the road and find that I couldn't run. D'oh.

7. Alright, i'll try and contact the recruiter from my old unit as she pretty much handled all admin and see if she can shed any light on these papers. As I said it was a pretty small unit with only a few Cpls and no Officer for the majority of the time (Along with pretty poor organisation all around) so would it be worth submitting a SAR for my details as well? I'm quite interested to see what is written down for my service, if you can even justify calling it service with the amount that I did.

8. If you got bored of kicking a ball for an hour once a week then perhaps the regular army isn't for you son.

Especially as it caused you an injury.

9. Turning up and getting a 20 minute lesson on map reading or a slideshow of some vehicles then being given a ball to kick around for the remainder of the time wasn't exactly what I had in mind. In my time there I learnt next to nothing about anything Army related. If I wanted to kick a ball around for a couple of hours each week I would have joined a football club.